JJ Abrams to direct new Star Wars movie

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Uhh, maybe I'm late to the lens flare party - but am I the only person in the world that didn't notice/wasn't horribly distracted by it in Star Trek? Is it because of the 15 minutes I spend every day staring into the sun?
Nah it didn't bother me, although JJ Abrams did go just a tad overboard with it in Star Trek. He admits it himself. I watched Die Hard shortly after reading this thread and there is all sorts of natural lens flare in that film, I was like OH NOES JJ ABRAMS STRIKES AGAIN

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, I've only seen the new Star Trek once and I didn't notice it really. In fact, this thread is the first time I've even heard about it being a complaint in that movie. Granted, I'm not a Trekkie and don't frequent discussions about that movie.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I passed over it on my first watch simply because I was enjoying the movie so much, but it really is ALL over the place. It's something once someone mentions you end not being able to avoid seeing. I seriously doubt more than like a half of a second passes through the entire movie without some type of flare effect. And honestly that isn't even an exaggeration.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I passed over it on my first watch simply because I was enjoying the movie so much, but it really is ALL over the place. It's something once someone mentions you end not being able to avoid seeing. I seriously doubt more than like a half of a second passes through the entire movie without some type of flare effect. And honestly that isn't even an exaggeration.
This. I never noticed it until people started mentioning it, now its all up in my face any time I see any scene from the movie.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i noticed some sparkly effects when watching it in the theater, but it wasnt an issue to me. when it was mentioned by others i did begin to think about the movie had a lot of it. i think its only a problem if you're looking for it.
its one of those odd things, like brad pitt is always eating something in every movie he does.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
haha, yeah, it certainly does seem that way.

I didn't notice the lens flare on Star Trek in the theater, I was in awe of how awesome the movie was. When I saw it on bluray, i noticed it because people complain about it so much. But I still didn't care.

sole

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I went back and watched Super 8 to see the omglensflarez and yeah they're over the top. Still a great movie though.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
haha, yeah, it certainly does seem that way.

I didn't notice the lens flare on Star Trek in the theater, I was in awe of how awesome the movie was. When I saw it on bluray, i noticed it because people complain about it so much. But I still didn't care.
Did you see the first 9 minutes of the new star trek? Holy jizz tastic that movie looks fucking awesome. Its pretty in a way that few movies achieve, it has a feel of realness and urgency to it, and scenes look to the extreme without quite crossing over that cusp to absurd. Also, it looks like they went away from the lens flare. There were a few, but JJ abrams seemed to agree with the critics. Instead of lens flares, they appear to have slightly over saturated lights on the enterprise, so it still has the same sort of crisp and just flat out 'good guys' artistic feel to it in the original movie, without becoming obnoxious in what I saw.

It's a pity that the first star trek didn't do better (it still did pretty good), because that was one of the best sci fi movies put out since aliens.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
They could have definitely picked worse directors for this and I personally, would love to see Abrams tap into the Thrawn trilogies.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I watched Super 8 this week for the first time. Lens flare just too heavy.

The viewing experience is:

So here they're trying to <lens flare>what the hell. . . oh they better bare careful <lens flare>damn it!. . . oh so this guy and the girl actually like<lens flare>damn it again!!

Also annoying too is I know that it's gotta be added in post (95% of it). So there's a team of guys (a couple anyway) who spend their time on the film finding places to put in lens flare and ways to make it look cool on screen.

Just totally un-necessary.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I love that lens flare is literally the only complaint raging Internet nerds can bring up.