Job Hunting

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I like my company and job. But there's a shitload of money out there now
Yeah, this is where I'm at with my job as well. I fucking love our CEO and my boss is EXTREMELY "hands-off" (I'll leave a company in about 3 seconds if you micro-manage me), but I'm a solid $25-30k underpaid and that's increasing daily with how fucky transportation fields are.

We have our yearly reviews in December. So, I'm going to push HARD for a significant raise, but we're facing a 2 million dollar budget shortfall next year. I highly doubt they're going to throw much more than $5k at me because of that. I am going to make it clear that I'll be looking for other work if they don't come in around $15k+.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, this is where I'm at with my job as well. I fucking love our CEO and my boss is EXTREMELY "hands-off" (I'll leave a company in about 3 seconds if you micro-manage me), but I'm a solid $25-30k underpaid and that's increasing daily with how fucky transportation fields are.

We have our yearly reviews in December. So, I'm going to push HARD for a significant raise, but we're facing a 2 million dollar budget shortfall next year. I highly doubt they're going to throw much more than $5k at me because of that. I am going to make it clear that I'll be looking for other work if they don't come in around $15k+.
Yeah pretty much this. I work in software but the thing is that everything is 100% remote now. You can get NYC salaries here in Texas with not much effort. Because of that, I will get a $40k+ raise just by getting a job that is intentionally remote. I don't want to leave but it's hard to ignore that.

They also really went the extra mile to recruit me. Which is something I've never experienced before and can appreciate.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Offer in hand and true to his word the CTO who spent all that time recruiting me upped the salary an additional $10k. With a yearly 10% bonus. Now to tell my current job. Going to feel like an asshole. but what can ya do?

• 1Solidarity

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I guess I'm the only person that ask about the companys past and their history of layoffs. Helps separate the companies that man up/man down non stop which happens in my world at some companies. Then they wonder why they can't retain quality workers.

• 1Solidarity

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Offer in hand and true to his word the CTO who spent all that time recruiting me upped the salary an additional $10k. With a yearly 10% bonus. Now to tell my current job. Going to feel like an asshole. but what can ya do?
Go where the money is at. You going to let your current employer make a counter offer?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Go where the money is at. You going to let your current employer make a counter offer?
I'll try tomorrow but I am like 99% certain they won't give me a $60k raise to counter the $50k (and annual 10% bonus) I am about to get.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I'll try tomorrow but I am like 99% certain they won't give me a $60k raise to counter the $50k (and annual 10% bonus) I am about to get.
good for you. also no sarcasm. for real. good to see man.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My manager outright panicked when I told him and said they're going to counter back as soon as possible. Maybe this will get interesting. I know for a fact that if they did want to hire someone to replace me they would need to hire two people. Not to toot my own horn but the odds of them finding someone who can develop in Salesforce in addition to data engineering (and willing to do both) are quite small.

Last edited:

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
lol my director in a canadian subsidiary of my company was wailing and gnashing his teeth to find just a salesforce developer. good fucking luck to your company.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It did indeed get more interesting!

They got back to me in under 4 hours after I told my manager. They are going to promote me and beat the offer I have. Effective as soon as I sign the paper next week. The only downside is that I'll have a 7% annual bonus (regardless) vs a 10% annual performance-based one. They're upping my base salary by $55k. I was supremely surprised by this. I didn't think it would happen.

This is ideal for me I think because I do really like the company and I will be happy to stay working here, to be honest. The new job had the downside of being heavy into GCP which I hate.
I do however wish they took things a little more seriously and took action before I told them I was leaving. They didn't really care last week when I brought up being in interviews. Now I have to be an asshole to the other company. Makes me feel bad man. I'll also be moving teams in the relative future I guess. While I currently do both data work and Salesforce like I said that may change in the future as I move to this Data team. While I do like my variety looks like I can move my side gig work to Salesforce and do like 20 hours a week consulting like I do now for big data stuff.

I was talking to my friend who's a manager in tech down in Silicon Valley and I talked about this yesterday. Most companies are seemingly designed to make you leave rather than stay for career growth. Which is perplexing to me.

Kirun Kirun YMMV but get another offer in hand then go to your company. Seems to move mountains.

• 4Like
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
At this point, I am not going to press it. I got more than I ever expected from either side.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, just based on housing alone, but shit wage doesn't make consumer goods and id assume medical cheaper. It was our escape plan from CO, my job in that state the contract actually somehow makes more in OK. So between inflated house equity, wife and I combined sitting 160-180k would be nice.

Had to wait for wife to finish a degree for her work before promotion and wfh. Once she does, we likely will still look into it, just hard to stomach some lower level jobs going from like 22/hr here to 14 id imagine.
Oh as I forgot an I tell everyone this. Learn Salesforce. Training is free and the cert exams are like $200. The platform is extremely open and knowledge is easy to find. Nearly all companies use it. Even nonprofits. You can quickly get jobs at $70k+ for just the admin piece and move well into six figures in just a few years. I know this because I did exactly that and have hired multiple people in the field. Even though I don't work in it 100% right now.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Oh as I forgot an I tell everyone this. Learn Salesforce. Training is free and the cert exams are like $200. The platform is extremely open and knowledge is easy to find. Nearly all companies use it. Even nonprofits. You can quickly get jobs at $70k+ for just the admin piece and move well into six figures in just a few years. I know this because I did exactly that and have hired multiple people in the field. Even though I don't work in it 100% right now.
Tell me more about this free training?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Tell me more about this free training?
I've been a broken record about this buuuut once again go here:

Learn the admin course series (free). Join the sfdx discord (free). Use the sfdx stackexchange site (free). Study for 90 days take the $200 admin cert.

Start looking for experience. Volunteer for non profits for a few months. Apply to fte admin jobs. Study the developer role if that's your thing. Do this for a few years move into third party consultants (most Salesforce professionals are this kind of worker). Ride $100/hour+ contracts. Fully remote in under 3 years.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I've been a broken record about this buuuut once again go here:

Learn the admin course series (free). Join the sfdx discord (free). Use the sfdx stackexchange site (free). Study for 90 days take the $200 admin cert.

Start looking for experience. Volunteer for non profits for a few months. Apply to fte admin jobs. Study the developer role if that's your thing. Do this for a few years move into third party consultants (most Salesforce professionals are this kind of worker). Ride $100/hour+ contracts. Fully remote in under 3 years.
I had just signed up for that site after I replied. Looks like 70 courses for beginner admin. Will start poking around at it.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I had just signed up for that site after I replied. Looks like 70 courses for beginner admin. Will start poking around at it.
As far as enterprise platforms go Salesforce is fucking weird. Its a mish-mash of 20 years of shit built into an odd byzantine Frankenstein system. Which is why it pays so well.

Once you learn to enjoy its weirdness it becomes pretty fun to work on. IMO.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Grats TJT! Being fought over by two companies is an incredible place to be, and certainly helps pump up the self confidence and pride!!!!! Enjoy the moment, and choose the job you prefer, not necessarily the job with the absolute best bottom line. Some form of company loyalty involved helps too, because we are now at a point where to most companies you are a disposable cog.

In the last 2 weeks or so I have noticed a DRAMATIC increase in the vaccination requirements boldly stated in job postings. In the Development Engineering listings throughout Canada, I am seeing more and more of the postings flat out requiring full vaccinations. And some even talk about testing AND vaccinations.

We are in a terrible, terrible point in our society right now, and I am not sure how we get out of this spiral.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Take it with a bit of salt as this guy is getting a lot more than we ever paid for SFDC Developer consultants and he's just an Admin (typically pays about 20% less). But the overall progression he's talking about is reasonable.