Job Hunting

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I tried to turn down the ad company today, I just told them my current place had a counter offer (I was bullshitting to end the conversation). Rather than just go with it they want to meet me again tomorrow. Bleh why is this so hard.
Get them to sign you on for 5 years with 10% raise each year in writing. Just do it!

Fucker

Log Wizard
Got an interview with a national pest control company. Basically sans time and money to re train into welding or something else I'm interested in, they train and make decent ish blue collar money. Know a FB friend that works for them, he says after training depending on route it's 65-80k/year gross. Not outstanding, but currently no vacc mandate and is 90% job and 10% sales and other BS.

Looking at it as a fallback if feds dont back down on mandate and my exemption denied. I wish I'd have an answer sooner so I dont have to make a choice about accepting, I'm on track working these kinds of hours to be at 82k gross for the year. And we also get health and wellness that pays my insurance and ~500/month leftover to my 401k. Would rather stay in current job even if hours high since the job is very easy and lets me sit on FOH all day.

My luck if I go over to it, would have something I hate I discover, or get a mandate in a month. I doubt it has the best growth opportunities, and I suspect it's physical enough I'd want out in a decade when I get into my late 40's.
So....you won't get the jab, but you are willing to work in an insustry with near as zero checks on safety and no oversight in terms of anything?

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So....you won't get the jab, but you are willing to work in an insustry with near as zero checks on safety and no oversight in terms of anything?
Not sure what you mean by oversight. There's some certs and stuff. But what your saying only sounds like a plus. Wear a respirator or not, I'll wear mine so maybe i don't get cancer until I'm 60

I'm certainly not normal risk adverse regularly doing 140 or so on the highway and still currently carrying a gun in a very public facing place when antifed sentiment is at an all time high.

I dont greatly fear the adverse jab effects, though it's a mild one, its refusing to follow draconian overreach. Just like how livid I was at the lockdowns on businesses even if it didn't affect me. Funny for being on that same train odd you would want to ride me on it.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I am doing the final call with that company I tried to turn down yesterday. It's $30k more a year but I can't shake that the job sounds fucking boring.

Their business is like this. Suppose you have a list of customers and potential customers. You go to the company and tell them that you want the most up-to-date information on them. Using various sources, you take their John Doe and whatever details they have and find either the current or a number of possible valid details on them so the customer can more reliably target them. But on a scale of hundreds of thousands of millions of potential contacts.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I am doing the final call with that company I tried to turn down yesterday. It's $30k more a year but I can't shake that the job sounds fucking boring.

Their business is like this. Suppose you have a list of customers and potential customers. You go to the company and tell them that you want the most up-to-date information on them. Using various sources, you take their John Doe and whatever details they have and find either the current or a number of possible valid details on them so the customer can more reliably target them. But on a scale of hundreds of thousands of millions of potential contacts.
Is the data coming from data warehouse servicing cos or whatever the fuck they are called? Or internal? Sounds like a highly dimensional problem that company markets using machine learning buzz words. Sounds like the Netflix movie recommendation challenge to me :D

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Is the data coming from data warehouse servicing cos or whatever the fuck they are called? Or internal? Sounds like a highly dimensional problem that company markets using machine learning buzz words. Sounds like the Netflix movie recommendation challenge to me :D
They didn't tell me how they source the data to true up contacts beyond that it's their "secret sauce." It exists on GCP BigQuery though (gag). I asked why they use BigQuery over the much more alpha and superior Snowflake platform. But the guy explained to me that when they were originally looking to move onto the cloud Snowflake was one they vetted deeply. But Snowflake was a young startup at the time and their infrastructure couldn't handle the volume they needed. So GCP it was.

So upon doing this you deliver your result to them in an S3 Bucket for their side to use. Or for additional money they would develop a custom application to sync it into your infrastructure. Whatever that may be.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
They didn't tell me how they source the data to true up contacts beyond that it's their "secret sauce." It exists on GCP BigQuery though (gag). I asked why they use BigQuery over the much more alpha and superior Snowflake platform. But the guy explained to me that when they were originally looking to move onto the cloud Snowflake was one they vetted deeply. But Snowflake was a young startup at the time and their infrastructure couldn't handle the volume they needed. So GCP it was.

So upon doing this you deliver your result to them in an S3 Bucket for their side to use. Or for additional money they would develop a custom application to sync it into your infrastructure. Whatever that may be.
This all sounds like fucking voodoo to me. The problem seems typical though, highly dimensional space to be fitting with something or reduced to something in order to figure out wtf to put on a report. Doesn't seem too boring, seems typical. Doesn't seem like data engineering though and more of a data science thing, no?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This all sounds like fucking voodoo to me. The problem seems typical though, highly dimensional space to be fitting with something or reduced to something in order to figure out wtf to put on a report. Doesn't seem too boring, seems typical. Doesn't seem like data engineering though and more of a data science thing, no?
In my experience Data Science, Analytical Engineer, Data Engineer is all the same shit most of the time. The only one I am deeply against doing personally is anything that is in the actual BI Developer or Engineer roles. Where you are actually designing reporting for people. Which is front-end fag work.

Even now I have to do it from time to time.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Not sure what you mean by oversight. There's some certs and stuff. But what your saying only sounds like a plus. Wear a respirator or not, I'll wear mine so maybe i don't get cancer until I'm 60

I'm certainly not normal risk adverse regularly doing 140 or so on the highway and still currently carrying a gun in a very public facing place when antifed sentiment is at an all time high.

I dont greatly fear the adverse jab effects, though it's a mild one, its refusing to follow draconian overreach. Just like how livid I was at the lockdowns on businesses even if it didn't affect me. Funny for being on that same train odd you would want to ride me on it.
You always miss my point. Why not go back to being a LEO?

Sludig

You always miss my point. Why not go back to being a LEO?
After Chauvin, and other repeated cases of cops thrown under the political bus, the current liability and politics does not seem worth it. Unless I do get moved to rural oklahoma or something, maybe that would be acceptable, but then again wouldn't pay shit. And even there, nation wide the dirt bags and nogs are fighting cops at a pretty Significant increased rate, so wifes against it.

There's also the fear that you end up like a Portland cop and directed to enforce some bullshit, so I think largely I don't want to work government anymore in any way. My current job I've always held my nose and told myself I'm indirect enough that it's different.

Objectively, this other job would be a downgrade financially, so it will be last resort. But the idea of finding something decent blue collar would be nice, even if I have to work a bit harder for it. Though another coworker is pushing me to this jobs program remote IT work school, I just have no idea about availability of decent jobs that make reasonable amounts quickly after finishing certs.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
After Chauvin, and other repeated cases of cops thrown under the political bus, the current liability and politics does not seem worth it. Unless I do get moved to rural oklahoma or something, maybe that would be acceptable, but then again wouldn't pay shit. And even there, nation wide the dirt bags and nogs are fighting cops at a pretty Significant increased rate, so wifes against it.

There's also the fear that you end up like a Portland cop and directed to enforce some bullshit, so I think largely I don't want to work government anymore in any way. My current job I've always held my nose and told myself I'm indirect enough that it's different.

Objectively, this other job would be a downgrade financially, so it will be last resort. But the idea of finding something decent blue collar would be nice, even if I have to work a bit harder for it. Though another coworker is pushing me to this jobs program remote IT work school, I just have no idea about availability of decent jobs that make reasonable amounts quickly after finishing certs.
OTOH, that's one case out of how many millions?

Nationwide shortage of LEO...put in your 15-20 and call it a day. You are smart and aware; those two things alone obviate many risks associated with being a LEO.

Good cash. good benefits. Also...you know your way around firearms pretty well. Seems to me a natural fit?

external-content.duckduckgo.com.gif

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
In my experience Data Science, Analytical Engineer, Data Engineer is all the same shit most of the time. The only one I am deeply against doing personally is anything that is in the actual BI Developer or Engineer roles. Where you are actually designing reporting for people. Which is front-end fag work.

Even now I have to do it from time to time.
Power BI into S3 to redshift?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Power BI into S3 to redshift?
Fivetran/S3 -> Snowflake -> Looker.

Redshift can suck a dick. Snowflake really is miles ahead of the others as a data platform. It'll be hard to go back to the Redshift/BigQuery/AzureData Factory stone age.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

You can live quite nicely in Oklahoma on a smaller salary dog. Just saying.

My sister's father-in-law did that in Oregon 30 years ago. He was a Portland, Oregon police officer for 12 years (late like late 70s to early 90s). Even back then he said the place was insufferable. Took a pay cut to be a Sheriff's Deputy in nice small town middle of nowhere Oregon and has been there ever since. Retires in a few years.

Sludig

You can live quite nicely in Oklahoma on a smaller salary dog. Just saying.

My sister's father-in-law did that in Oregon 30 years ago. He was a Portland, Oregon police officer for 12 years (late like late 70s to early 90s). Even back then he said the place was insufferable. Took a pay cut to be a Sheriff's Deputy in nice small town middle of nowhere Oregon and has been there ever since. Retires in a few years.
Yeah, just based on housing alone, but shit wage doesn't make consumer goods and id assume medical cheaper. It was our escape plan from CO, my job in that state the contract actually somehow makes more in OK. So between inflated house equity, wife and I combined sitting 160-180k would be nice.

Had to wait for wife to finish a degree for her work before promotion and wfh. Once she does, we likely will still look into it, just hard to stomach some lower level jobs going from like 22/hr here to 14 id imagine.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
wormie wormie Ok bro you were right. There's way more shit going into it. They lost a dozen candidates when it came to, "OMG Alexa and you are listening to me!?" And I don't care about things that are intrusive. They upped the base salary considerably and gave me as much time as I want to accept.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This tells me I should accept. They really want my dumb ass.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Just remember when their fancy algos don't do dick, random forest is king.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>

Sounds like they’re helping the source of all the junk mail and retarded calls people get. Ugh