Job Hunting

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
A few questions: How much, percentage wise, was the new the new role over your previous one? Did your previous employer counter? Did you approach the previous employer to go back, or did they make you this offer unsolicited? Did they give you a reason why they want you back at this role?
So my initial employer (that I went back to) was acquired by our largest customer, and my concern was my role as it existed (making order out of chaos with many customers and many products) would not be necessary once we were a vertical. They said I’d have a role but couldn’t really give me any idea what it would be. At the time my former boss didn’t bother countering, I think he was more worried about his own job.

The company I went to offered me a 20% increase, matched my vacation and was expanding so I figured a lot of promise for growth down the road. After about 3 - 4 weeks I realized they had fundamental issues with leadership and I did not see how they were going to fix them.

Previous employer calls me up (worked with these guys for 25 years, left on good terms), says they have a role in purchasing and really need someone who knows the manufacturing process and is good at data analysis. They matched my new salary and gave me my vacation time back. I’ve known the guy I’ll report to and worked with him a long time and he has said he’ll be retiring in a few years.

So different role, more money and hopefully opportunities down the road. It’s been less than a week back and my wife has noticed a night and day difference in my demeanor.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I verbally accepted an offer today with a pretty well known company. This will get me good experience dealing with a lot of traffic and a lot of servers, one thing that I have been missing. It's almost exactly a 33% pay increase from my previous job. I'm at the top end of the pay scale for the senior level, so the next adjustment will include a title change to staff level which puts me in a giant range bracket.

This comes with RSUs, with 25% vesting after the first year and then quarterly for the next 3 years.

I was frozen out of 3 in process interviews, including Twitter, where I was past the take home test, the review after that, and was waiting on getting a panel interview scheduled when hiring froze. I wasn't super confident that they would actually make me an offer, but it was a pretty neat opportunity if Musk does end up buying the company. Definitely interested if that happens and it unfreezes.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Hmmm this got interesting. I submitted a simple resignation letter Friday, 'please accept my resignation as Title at Company. My last day will be July 1st'.

Met with an exec yesterday who wanted to know what they could do to keep me. I didn't try to do the counter offer dance intentionally, I was ready to go without drama. But they matched the total compensation of the offer in salary and are carving out a new group with me and one other senior level engineer to work on some stuff for a project that's fully funded for the next 2.5 years. Pretty good spot to be in as we enter this recession.

So now I need to finalize that with HR today and call the recruiter at the new place letting them know that I won't be showing up, after I already agreed. Fantastic. At least it's with a single company instead of a hiring firm that would put me on some list of names to avoid.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Hmmm this got interesting. I submitted a simple resignation letter Friday, 'please accept my resignation as Title at Company. My last day will be July 1st'.

Met with an exec yesterday who wanted to know what they could do to keep me. I didn't try to do the counter offer dance intentionally, I was ready to go without drama. But they matched the total compensation of the offer in salary and are carving out a new group with me and one other senior level engineer to work on some stuff for a project that's fully funded for the next 2.5 years. Pretty good spot to be in as we enter this recession.

So now I need to finalize that with HR today and call the recruiter at the new place letting them know that I won't be showing up, after I already agreed. Fantastic. At least it's with a single company instead of a hiring firm that would put me on some list of names to avoid.

Always be careful with counter offers most people end up leaving anyways due to shit that can arise from it.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My experience with them has been fine. I really like my main job and didn't want to leave and I told them that. But the amount of money I was able to make elsewhere was just too much and not something I could ignore. They ended up matching above and beyond to keep me. So I stayed. I still do my moonlighting too.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Always be careful with counter offers most people end up leaving anyways due to shit that can arise from it.
Good point. My question is this. If I simply put in my resignation, and didn't say shit about an offer... is it really a counter offer? I attempted to NOT play this game.

Now I'm conflicted though. I'm going up against two of core traits that I pride myself on... risk avoidance and being true to my word. In the long term, going back on my word and staying put minimizes the risk involved in changing to a not-fully-known company / position... In the short term, keeping my word increases the risk.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Eh, I had a similar situation. I put in my notice with zero intent of negotiation beyond that. I was a union employee, so it's not like they can just change union rules to fit me.

About a day later, I was told "well, hold on a minute, what if we created something for you that solved all of your issues?" Just like you, I'd rather actually not leave. Work is 9 miles away and a known entity...new places can be complete shit piles, so in this case, known > unknown.

The ended up tossing me about a 25% raise the new position solves all of the problems I had with my old one (which, btw, was not pay), so I don't see a reason to not accept their "counter."

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I think it's just the new norm that employers are doing what they can to get people to stay. It'd be nice if it were more proactive, but I actually left my job for 6 months and came back - something I thought I'd never do - and have been extremely happy with the decision (along with the money / responsibilities).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Good point. My question is this. If I simply put in my resignation, and didn't say shit about an offer... is it really a counter offer? I attempted to NOT play this game.

Now I'm conflicted though. I'm going up against two of core traits that I pride myself on... risk avoidance and being true to my word. In the long term, going back on my word and staying put minimizes the risk involved in changing to a not-fully-known company / position... In the short term, keeping my word increases the risk.

You have to do what is best for you.

Neither company involved in the other side of your decisions would hesitate a second to fire you without a single warning if it wasn't in their best interest.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Finally made it through and got an offer. Need to go over the details more carefully but broad stroke after a very quick read of the info they sent over:
- 15% salary bump
- Stock options
- Health coverage 30% cheaper
- Annual Tuition/learning reimbursement
- longer commute but potentially hybrid

more info later, but planning to see if I can get a little more money and waiting to see if hybrid is a go. Otherwise, ready to pull the trigger.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Not sure of any good strategies for my wife who got laid off after her company had some fuckups and started downsizing. She'd worked at one place like 18 years, been at the new place about a year. She's roughly 3 months from finishing her bachelors if she accelerates at Western Governors, she's basically been doing accounting/billing/finance sector stuff the whole time. A lot of experience. THe shit sandwhich was we moved to Oklahoma because in a bidding war to get her back, her old company and current agreed to work from home. The old company she'd love to go back to, but the boss above her boss veto'd it due to not having her degree for the position they pursued her for.

Despite experience, as I see if she needs to hit hard on finishing the bachelors, plans to do the extra 30 credit hours and get her cert (not a CPA but something like that?, and then her masters) She's just already discouraged from getting no bites on a handful of jobs she applied to. I tried telling her between computers auto rejecting based on the education box, and that she's competing nationally for remote jobs, it's to be expected.

Not sure what else she can do to help find decent work outside of a linkedin account and perusing like indeed. Local jobs go from her old 80k to probably making 50 or even less in this kind of area.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Not sure of any good strategies for my wife who got laid off after her company had some fuckups and started downsizing. She'd worked at one place like 18 years, been at the new place about a year. She's roughly 3 months from finishing her bachelors if she accelerates at Western Governors, she's basically been doing accounting/billing/finance sector stuff the whole time. A lot of experience. THe shit sandwhich was we moved to Oklahoma because in a bidding war to get her back, her old company and current agreed to work from home. The old company she'd love to go back to, but the boss above her boss veto'd it due to not having her degree for the position they pursued her for.

Despite experience, as I see if she needs to hit hard on finishing the bachelors, plans to do the extra 30 credit hours and get her cert (not a CPA but something like that?, and then her masters) She's just already discouraged from getting no bites on a handful of jobs she applied to. I tried telling her between computers auto rejecting based on the education box, and that she's competing nationally for remote jobs, it's to be expected.

Not sure what else she can do to help find decent work outside of a linkedin account and perusing like indeed. Local jobs go from her old 80k to probably making 50 or even less in this kind of area.
Tell her to get her bachelor's, then take a tax class or two and then study for her enrolled agent, pass it, and then open her own accounting/tax business. if she isn't looking to do auditing she doesn't need the CPA. Enrolled agent is enough for anything but auditing.

SeanDoe1z1

my counter was basically 50% over the other when they finally cornered me because I knew it would a red herring to smooth my exit and ultimately fire me.

They said no. Shocker.

SeanDoe1z1

My current job probably has nearly 60 % turnover in the last 15 months but I enjoy the job, even with the chaos.

Review is coming up and will probably set the tone for the next 6 months if I decide to jump ship.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Finally made it through and got an offer. Need to go over the details more carefully but broad stroke after a very quick read of the info they sent over:
- 15% salary bump
- Stock options
- Health coverage 30% cheaper
- Annual Tuition/learning reimbursement
- longer commute but potentially hybrid

more info later, but planning to see if I can get a little more money and waiting to see if hybrid is a go. Otherwise, ready to pull the trigger.
So a deeper dive last night and got some clarification via email this morning.
- 1 day a week on-site will change to fully remote apart from occasional in person meetings
- All compensation categories are solidly better than my current position

Just waiting to hear back on my request for a little bump in the base salary, will accept the offer either way. Then drug test and background check, which are both non-issues.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Nija Nija

I was approached by my moonlight job as a consultant for a full time one recently. This is like the third time they have but now with the shakeup that happened a few months ago I'd actually be where I wanted to be on their data engineering team rather than consulting for one of the business orgs to meet their data needs.

Now, they know I have a second full time position and was more part time with them. But I am going to do a switcheroo here. I am taking this job because I know I can still do my other job fine especially now that I've trained my team up there. I am going to put more full time effort into the new position while "part timing" my other one.

It's going to be good and I get to use Azure for stuff which I've never done before.

Both are, of course, fully remote and I will likely do a few days in the office a year. One is in Dallas the other in Austin.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Accounting has a big degree of gatekeeping in terms of you need to have more credit hours for a B.S. in Accounting than any other degree (5th year accounting students is a thing). Its only once you meet that requirement that you're allowed to take the CPA exam.

Something like that.