John Wick (2014)

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
I want to see this because the plot is "Man goes on kill crazy rampage after Theon Greyjoy murders his dog"

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
When a reviewer mentions the deaths vs run time ratio, you're typically looking at a good action movie and not some pansy ass PG-13 neutered Die Hard.

Origin

Molten Core Raider
I want to see this because the plot is "Man goes on kill crazy rampage after Theon Greyjoy murders his dog"
Thought this as well
biggrin.png

Great looking cast though. Looking forward to this.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Commercial on CC was pretty good. Football team goes in huddle and talks about how Neo has his dog killed by theon greyjoy so he goes on a rampage, they break theak the huddle to see the movie lol

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can't wait to see this.

Keanu isn't the best actor, but in the right roles he can still hit home runs. And, he is one of the truly "good guys" in Hollywood. If he has a great movie come out, I think he deserves my support.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
The person that did the IMAX radio commercials here in Sacramento (maybe everywhere?) needs to be fired. They picked about the worst sound bytes imaginable for the commercial.

Bad Guy: I'm not afraid of John Wick.
Keanu: Uh huh.

Insert more IMAX is awesome hype.

Keanu: Everyone keeps asking me if I'm back. Yeah, I'm thinking I'm back.

Not joking, those are exact quotes, and the only quotes, because I've heard it about 30 times in the past few days. If I had nothing but that to go on for this movie, why in the world would I want to see it??

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I think sometimes they just take the audio from a video preview out of laziness. That "I'm back" shit is in the TV trailer, and it works well because of the visuals. But yeah, I can see just the audio on it's own not really doing much for you.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Slackers should have stolen the "It's not what you did son, its who you did it too." from the previews. Terrible.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Just got back from seeing this and I enjoyed it. It's obviously not heavy on character building and plot but to me it was a nice change of pace for the bad guys to fear and respect the "good guy" and freak the fuck out at the thought of him coming for them. You don't get that a lot and it really helped build how powerful the good guy was when usually in movies it's the bad guy being built as the badass.

I lol'ed pretty good when the cop showed up at Wicks house at the beginning. Movie was awesome for what it was, just don't go in expecting anything other than what it is. A dude being a badass and avenging his dog.

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
I really liked this movie, will probably see it again when it comes out on DVD. Both for the action scenes which were amazing, and for every scene where an actor tries to act opposite Keanu Reeves. There's a scene early in the movie where Willem Dafoe tries to bounce off Keanu and it's so amazingly awkward.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I wish at the end of credits it would have had a scene of someone picking up their dog from that facility and them saying "What do you mean my dog is gone?!".

Haus

<Silver Donator>
The Wife and I went to see this last night. For what is it, a revenge action flick of the "you woke the sleeping bear back up.." school, I thought it was excellent. I'd personally put it up in the neighborhood of the first Taken. I couldn't imagine a much more sympathetic set up for someone going on an 85+ body killing spree than "Some dick killed the dog my wife gave me as a gift".

One thing that impressed me was that he wasn't just "shoot bad guy and bad guy falls". It was "shoot bad guy, shoot a couple more, gracefully spin around and deliver a second head shot to the first one to make sure it's a kill" type of choreographed fight scenes. Also, good placement of cameo's smaller parts (Dafoe and Leguizamo for instance...)

If you're looking for emotional depth and introspection past "Don't kill a guys dog, else you risk severe payback" look elsewhere. If you want to see Canoe get his mass murder on, this is your movie.

I will now always think of this movie when making dinner reservations.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Pretty meh. Not worth a theatrical viewing.
Fantastic review, as stated above.

I really liked this movie, will probably see it again when it comes out on DVD. Both for the action scenes which were amazing, and for every scene where an actor tries to act opposite Keanu Reeves. There's a scene early in the movie where Willem Dafoe tries to bounce off Keanu and it's so amazingly awkward.
Haha, yeah, that scene at the beginning was just, "Wat? Wait, wat are you doing? Oh, ok, at least I know killing is going to happen soon so I can live with this."

The Wife and I went to see this last night. For what is it, a revenge action flick of the "you woke the sleeping bear back up.." school, I thought it was excellent. I'd personally put it up in the neighborhood of the first Taken. I couldn't imagine a much more sympathetic set up for someone going on an 85+ body killing spree than "Some dick killed the dog my wife gave me as a gift".

One thing that impressed me was that he wasn't just "shoot bad guy and bad guy falls". It was "shoot bad guy, shoot a couple more, gracefully spin around and deliver a second head shot to the first one to make sure it's a kill" type of choreographed fight scenes. Also, good placement of cameo's smaller parts (Dafoe and Leguizamo for instance...)

If you're looking for emotional depth and introspection past "Don't kill a guys dog, else you risk severe payback" look elsewhere. If you want to see Canoe get his mass murder on, this is your movie.

I will now always think of this movie when making dinner reservations.
It felt like the alleyway scene and the nightclub scene in Collateral, but 100 times as long and just as awesome the entire way through. Totally picking this up when it comes out as a 'brain off, people die on' mood movie.

Dinner for 12?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Great movie for exactly the reasons already stated. Some of the "gun play" is absolutely awesome. It reminded me a ton of Collateral. That said, there is an obvious point at which this movie should have ended and it would've pushed it close to Dredd territory for me (in that it was just a great pure action movie. No pointless story, not much acting, just lots of awesome killing). However, they added about 15ish minutes of a completely disjointed, pointless ending. It put a huge damper on my overall enjoyment of the movie, sadly.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Good movie A++ would recommend again. Reminded me of Dredd, had a idea and stuck just go that.