John Wick (2014)

Oldbased

> Than U
Keanu Reeves is pretty awesome. When he did the Matrix movies he ended up giving millions of his profits to the set and makeup crews because he felt they earned it.
He has been quoted many times giving up top roles so he could work on movies he likes.
He took a 90% pay cut on The Replacements so Gene Hackman could be in it, he did that in several movies in fact.
Just a very humble dude who was never in it for the money, in the sense some are.

Watched Ronin 47 this week and I thought it was pretty awesome but then again I also watched liked Pompeii that was hated and liked it as well.

Oldbased

> Than U
I do agree with that, but I think at the same time in those days it played a large part of the code people lived by and the fears and unknowns they didn't know.
Obviously there was no shape changing witches but they did believe there was and how do you show it in a movie and still make a viewer believe to the way they saw it.
My issue with samurai movies is always the same. They train all their life to become badass then most of them end up just killing themselves in honor.
It always reminds me of the crack suicide squads in Life of Brian.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Same Directors, similar story and everything. Should have just made John Wick a series lol
Point Break
Dracula
Much ado about Nothing
Jonny Mnemonic
Constantine
Generation um
John Wick
Rain

All Johns. (I only really noticed Mnemonic and Constantine then this movie and the new series, and I checked IMDB, and there's so many more)

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Caught a matinee of this today. Really dug it. The whole underground assassin society was a great touch. Also, no shaky cam. Made for great action. I guess that's what you can do when the actors are actually trained.

eek_sl

shitlord
Keanu Reeves is pretty awesome. When he did the Matrix movies he ended up giving millions of his profits to the set and makeup crews because he felt they earned it.
He has been quoted many times giving up top roles so he could work on movies he likes.
He took a 90% pay cut on The Replacements so Gene Hackman could be in it, he did that in several movies in fact.
Just a very humble dude who was never in it for the money, in the sense some are.

Watched Ronin 47 this week and I thought it was pretty awesome but then again I also watched liked Pompeii that was hated and liked it as well.
About the Matrix, the crew was essentially paid peanuts. The first one was made with a meager budget for a movie of such ambition. Keanu signed on and decided to take a pay cut in order for the movie to get made. Instead of taking a big paycheck up front, he opted for a percentage of the profits. Well, the movie turned into one of the greatest successes in film history. His percentage made him hundreds of millions of dollars across all three movies. Because lots of people in the original crew was not a part of the giant budgeted 2nd and 3rd installments, Keanu decided to take a huge chunk of his Matrix earnings and distribute it to them...sharing the wealth if you will.

Some people in Hollywood have meager talent, but are extremely well-liked and easy to work with. Seems like even with his limited acting ability, Keanu falls into this category.

Also, John Wick was good as hell. A solid action movie that easily meets its not-so-lofty ambitions.

Mikey

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I really liked this flick. I give it 8/10. The action scenes made up for the bad acting. Also, it seemed K.Reeves REALLY tried to stretch his acting chops w/ the one scene where he was handcuffed. Kudos.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
"I understand you struck my son."

"He stole John Wick's car and killed his dog."

"....... Oh."

Lol. That exchange and the one where the policeman comes to the front door had me rolling.

Great movie, for reasons already discussed. I felt like the ending was a little weak, but I'll forgive it because the action was fucking phenomenal. They need an Oscar for fight choeography.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
This year:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. Edge of Tomorrow
3. Captain America: Winter Soldier
4. John Wick
5. X-Men: Days of Future Past
Interstellar

Haven't seen Big Hero 6 yet, so I would imagine that's up there, but holy shit was this an awesome movie. I regret waiting this long to see it. I'll be pre-ordering the bluray for sure.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
You already can. Movies that aren't marvel are pre orderable usually the day they hit the theaters.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
This year:
I'd say:
1) 22 Jump Street (What, I like action comedies. Blame the 80s.)
2) John Wick (Read this thread)
3) Edge of Tomorrow
4) Guardians of the Galaxy
5) Captain America 2
6) The Equalizer
7) The Lego Movie
8) X-Men Days of Future Past (Was my #2 most anticipated movie of the year; just found it dull.)
9) Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (So unmemorable I had forgotten I had seen this until I went down the Box Office chart.)
10) Robocop (Utterly unnecessary)
11) Transformers (Utterly unnecessary; not the series to attempt to de-escalate in the sequels)
12) Lets Be Cops (Look at my #1 and then realize how bad this must be.)
13) This Is Where I Leave You (An appalling waste given the talent involved.)

Note: I still need to see Whiplash, Birdman, Snowpiercer, and Interstellar (now that my expectations are properly crushed)

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Snowpeicer was ok . Boyhood was pretty amazing but i think it hit cords and how weird it was seeing them talk about stuff before it happened

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I liked snowpiercer but a lot of it depends if you can not just suspend your disbelief but hang it from the gallows and just accept the wacky premise of the film and just go with it. If you can't its going to bother you the entire film.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Just saw it, and while there were a few pretty poorly acted moments, it was a cool movie. I'm not even talking about Keanu either. The mob boss annoyed me the most for poor delivery. He could fit into some scenes just fine, and then seem totally spaced abruptly.

dechire

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Just saw it, and while there were a few pretty poorly acted moments, it was a cool movie. I'm not even talking about Keanu either. The mob boss annoyed me the most for poor delivery. He could fit into some scenes just fine, and then seem totally spaced abruptly.
Yeah, I fully agree with this. I like Keanu so I just assume all his characters are hardcore into stoicism.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Amazon just shot me an email. The DVD/Blu Ray for this movie will be released on February 3rd.

That's really soon.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I watched this again recently and it was just as awesome as the first time. I didnt notice the first time but Wicks mentor Dafoe kills the same way with finishing shot to the head

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Webrips are out for this. I plan on buying this on Blu-Ray still but fuck the studio's for making me wait longer than I should.