John Wick: Chapter Two (2017)

Ridas

Pay to play forum
I've read more that Wick's character is more interesting though Keanu does poorly, but the movie is still very successful.

What kind of complaint is that anyway? Keanu is Keanu in every movie he does. I dont think that guy does even pretend to act and just runs around as himself. Looking forward to this movie though. First one was very entertaining.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Amazing movie. Higher killcount. I'd put it on par with the first one, maybe slightly better. The only difference is the first one was like a complete enigma really and you watched it and it was amazing. This was like "Well I don't know, the first one was PRETTY awesome...." and then, "Oh okay. This one is also awesome."

Give it a solid 9.5/10

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just saw it. They played into their strengths (action and world building) but I wasn't as impressed with the music in this one as I was in the first. It's a minor point. Anyway, really fluid, hard-hitting action. It's fun to see John Wick become a modern day Achilles and slaughter legions of bad guys. Characters were interesting. Motivations made sense. It was a fun and competent movie.

That being said. John Wick does something really, really stupid at the end and it took me out of the story because I never got the impression Wick would do this sort of thing. It looks like they made John Wick a tragic hero in order to set up a third movie.

7.5 out of 10. The first was better, but this one isn't bad. I would recommend you see it if you liked the first one.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just saw it. They played into their strengths (action and world building) but I wasn't as impressed with the music in this one as I was in the first. It's a minor point. Anyway, really fluid, hard-hitting action. It's fun to see John Wick become a modern day Achilles and slaughter legions of bad guys. Characters were interesting. Motivations made sense. It was a fun and competent movie.

That being said. John Wick does something really, really stupid at the end and it took me out of the story because I never got the impression Wick would do this sort of thing. It looks like they made John Wick a tragic hero in order to set up a third movie.

7.5 out of 10. The first was better, but this one isn't bad. I would recommend you see it if you liked the first one.

A couple reviews I read were saying the movies biggest flaw was creating too many arcs to prep for future movies but still loved the film. Another thing was Wicks character, the motivation for him killing doesnt make sense but still enjoyed the movie just as much as the first

I also loved the music of the first film but it never got the credit it deserved

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Wow, what an incredible movie. The pencil scene... Ugh, that was brutal. Really great sequel. Good job, Keanu!

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Can confirm, it delivered. Adds a lot more depth to the underworld without revealing the whole thing which is cool. And although the opening scene is fucking great, the setup before getting into the rest of the action is a much slower burn than in the first one, but once it gets going, it's about a 1-hour nonstop ride with the stakes ratcheted way up and fight scenes that are just brutal.

Siliconemelons

I am glad to hear it is good and hope it does well..

This is obviously a case of the 1st movie being a small cult smash hit that was legit awesome and the 2nd trying to get it out into the mainstream - so because of that, they deem the increased traffic and $$ to the first movie as $$ from an account of the 2nd.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Fucking loved this movie just as much as the first one. If nothing else, I would keep watching them for the realism, which we have discussed plenty of times in regard to the first movie but bears repeating. We obviously praise them for making him reload and such, but it is so goddamn refreshing to see vehicles simply crunch into each other instead of getting launched into the air and exploding. In the first one an SUV falls like twenty feet off of a ledge, and in 99% of movies that fucker would have exploded in a massive fireball (unless our hero was in it). Nope, just crunch, thud. And from the trailer you obviously see that his car gets fucked up in this one, yet somehow not a single other car exploded either!! I will continue to watch these movies for that reason alone, because I'm sick of it in every other movie. It helps that the rest of this was awesome though too.

A couple reviews I read were saying the movies biggest flaw was creating too many arcs to prep for future movies but still loved the film. Another thing was Wicks character, the motivation for him killing doesnt make sense but still enjoyed the movie just as much as the first

I also loved the music of the first film but it never got the credit it deserved

This confuses me a little. Too many arcs? I mean, there is one massively obvious one that will lead into Chapter 3, but what were all these other ones they are referring to? Spoilery questioning below.

Unless they mean the High Council or whatever word they used? That doesn't really seem like a different arc to me, although I do understand that they differentiated between The Continental and them, as if they are two entirely separate entities. But it seems that would all sort of tie together because he's wanted by both of them in the next movie pretty much, I'd assume. I mean, they texted like every assassin on the planet, right? What does it matter if The Continental issued the contract or the High Council? I sort of feel like if he solves one, he solves them both. Even if he kills McShane it won't end the contract, so how does he get out of it? Probably something to do with the Council too, right?

I dunno, I just don't see the too many arcs thing. There's clearly one arc for #3. If they want to stretch that into more I'm sure it would be easy, but I didn't feel like they wasted any screen time setting them up. Unless I'm forgetting something?

Siliconemelons

Co-worker saw it and gave it glowing reviews - as with many - if you loved the first movie, this does it all justice and feeds you more of what you want and still leaves you wanting more. Looks like we have an example of a squeal done right?!

• 1Like

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fucking loved this movie just as much as the first one. If nothing else, I would keep watching them for the realism, which we have discussed plenty of times in regard to the first movie but bears repeating. We obviously praise them for making him reload and such, but it is so goddamn refreshing to see vehicles simply crunch into each other instead of getting launched into the air and exploding. In the first one an SUV falls like twenty feet off of a ledge, and in 99% of movies that fucker would have exploded in a massive fireball (unless our hero was in it). Nope, just crunch, thud. And from the trailer you obviously see that his car gets fucked up in this one, yet somehow not a single other car exploded either!! I will continue to watch these movies for that reason alone, because I'm sick of it in every other movie. It helps that the rest of this was awesome though too.

I dunno, I just don't see the too many arcs thing. There's clearly one arc for #3. If they want to stretch that into more I'm sure it would be easy, but I didn't feel like they wasted any screen time setting them up. Unless I'm forgetting something?

I quoted you to agree. The realism is neat. I liked that they took the time to make it clear that John Wick reloads, and he sets up his victories with forethought and preparation. He just doesn't wing it. Maybe that's what has made him a legend. I did not notice that the cars don't explode, but perhaps that is a good thing. Campy, over-the-top explosions would have taken me out of the movie with their Hollywood drama.

As for the arcs, I don't get it either. There is an obvious set up for a third movie.

The only thing I can think of is the numerous references to shadowy societies, but I just saw this as world building, and adding a layer of depth to the film. Personally, I love it when movies reference things that we do not see on screen. I think it takes a page out of the book of life. If you made a movie about real soldiers, wouldn't they make references to governments and past battles? You wouldn't have to see these things on the screen to be informed. Therefore, in a movie like John Wick when they mention previous jobs or secret councils, I get the impression the characters are talking like real people, and there is more to this world than is precisely pertinent to whatever is happening on the screen.

• 1Solidarity
The problem is that once you start explaining what is essentially comic book logic, you end up with crap 99 out of 100 times. All of the characters were just archetypes enabling John Wick to be awesome, we don't need a 10 minute scene where the mob boss explains his love for the son, just like we don't need 10 minute scene where he is bonding with the new dog. Explaining the hotel and the guests would take away from the movie, unless it's essential to the endless sequence of scenes which involve the Keanu just killing everything in sight.

fify

I just watched the first John Wick, on the recommendation of a friend. He said it was amazing.

I did not get it. It was like watching a speed run of a first person shooter.

I get the graphic novel angle (I did like how they put the subtitles for what the Russians were saying right on the screen -- pretty damn clever and fresh) but Sin City had serious plot and character development. And for badass action, Jason Bourne had.... a plot and suspense. After a half hour, I realized all John Wick was about was a very slick film about an unstoppable assassin killing anything that got in his way. There were no twists, no plot at all.

I guess I just do not get a story without a plot. Are those a thing these days?

LaGSaLoT

Golden Knight of the Realm
He wanted his car back and wanted to get revenge on the people that killed his dog that his dead wife gave him. Seems a worthy enough plot for a revenge action film.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users
He wanted his car back and wanted to get revenge on the people that killed his dog that his dead wife gave him. Seems a worthy enough plot for a revenge action film.
no, that's kind of dumb, exponentially so that the incident was totally random (russian dudes at gas station wat to steal HIS car)

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Saw this tonight. Was as awesome as expected. That pencil scene was brutal, goddamn.

I hope the next one can still bring in the Continental given the excommunicado, since the hotel is one of the most interesting bits of the world.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
You don't have an avatar. LaGS either. I can't take either of your opinions on this masterpiece.

• 3Solidarity

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Sadre,

This movie was just mindless, cool kill scenes. Considering there aren't enough movies like this anymore, I'll support it in every way. Judge Dredd was also light on plot but damn that movie was awesome as well. Do we really need more Avengers, Manchester by the Sea, and Ghostbusters movies right now? I love Avengers but we have a slate chock full of superheroes, love stories, and virtue signaling. I need some action to wash some of that shit down(or away really).

• 1Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Just watched the first movie two days ago and plan to see the sequel tomorrow. Honestly, I am rather excited.

• 3Like