Joker (2019)

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Just saw this.

So...was the entire movie a delusion of Arthur while he was in a psychiatric hospital?

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
There have been movies in the past that are all but objectively good that I just don't get. Seven, Fight Club are two examples that come to mind. This is now one of them. I thought it was dull for the first 2/3s for a payoff in the last 3rd that was pretty good but not enough to make it worth it for me. At least I got to see DiNero get shot in the eye... And Phoenix was definitely amazing and they captured the 80s feel really well. Decent but not great.

Fight Club I get.....but Seven? A psychotic killer plots a symphony of death themed around the Seven Deadly Sins, with the final sin of Wrath involving his revelation and executed in real time?

And Fight Club was just an anti-consumerism message surrounded by an incredibly well -acted movie with a TWEEST that is great but only the first time you see it. And bitch-tits.

I really like both movies, but Seven is one of my favorites so I guess that is why I had to ask. So many cool subtleties in Seven, like how it is raining in the entire movie until the final act.

Haven't seen this yet. Not sure I really have a huge, burning desire to do so - my taste in movies runs in weird directions of late.

• 1Like

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Fight Club I get.....but Seven? A psychotic killer plots a symphony of death themed around the Seven Deadly Sins, with the final sin of Wrath involving his revelation and executed in real time?

And Fight Club was just an anti-consumerism message surrounded by an incredibly well -acted movie with a TWEEST that is great but only the first time you see it. And bitch-tits.

I really like both movies, but Seven is one of my favorites so I guess that is why I had to ask. So many cool subtleties in Seven, like how it is raining in the entire movie until the final act.

Haven't seen this yet. Not sure I really have a huge, burning desire to do so - my taste in movies runs in weird directions of late.

"There have been movies in the past that are all but objectively good that I just don't get. Seven, Fight Club are two examples that come to mind." That's my first line and with good reason. I didn't say they were bad by any means... I just did not get them. Seven was just kind of boring to me. I can't remember now since it's been so long, but I just remember sitting through it and just not being captured and was like "that's it?" at the end. My favorite Brad Pitt movie was 12 monkies lol, so I dunno, sometimes things just hit me weird, and I have this really weird natural instinct to find reasons to not like things that are really popular as well.

• 1Like

Jive Turkey

Karen
So many cool subtleties in Seven, like how it is raining in the entire movie until the final act.

Using a phoney looking body prop for the sloth victim before the reveal was a stroke of genius. It subconsciously let the audience's guard down before having the fuck scared out of them

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I could only see a sequel working if it were some sort of anthology of fucked up people watching JP rise as a figurehead, seeking him out, and him explaining to them that they have to let go of the facade of normalcy and burn it all to the ground so that they will be seen.

Oldbased

> Than U
Sequel coming this November, right after the elections probably.
It'll be a mix of Joker, V for Vendetta and VelociPastor movie.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah rewatching now.

Confirmation of the sentiment if the sequel doesn't take up a comic book tone and spoof Ledger's joker there's absolutely no point returning to the character.

This is a self-contained movie overall,

and if they don't want to break the mold next movie and electrify people,

just don't do it.

Todd Phillips is very talented and has plenty of other movies he can do for the IP.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There is really only two ways to make a sequel out of this version, if they even want to attempt it.

Killing Joke- Not a straight up note for note film of it, but elements of it with a focus on Arthur instead of BM. I could see that working in this version of the character and the tone this movie set. It would build on the base concept of Arthur as "man pushed too far" and the story focusing on the Joker trying to make others understand how anyone is essentially one day away from having a breakdown like him.

2008 Joker Graphic Novel- This was originally a story told from the perspective of a lackey who follows Joker around while he comes back to town to retake his criminal empire. This was extremely dark and on edge, even by joker story standards. Rework it to the Arthur Joker getting started out in crime as a way to get back at society (theres also a good storyline with Joker gakking public officials/elected officials you could merge into this) and maybe even pull an M K Shamalamadingdong manuever and make the loyal good character a Tyler Durden and it could be an amazing move.

Both would be really hard to get right, but thats what we all thought about this movie. If they do another one, it needs to keep the same tone and give Phoenix room to do his thing, or else its just going to dissapoint.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
just watched this today. the worst joker origin story.

• 2Pathetic
  • 1Salty
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Thread Necro. It is out on Canadian Netflix so I just watched this for the first time.

Best movie I have seen in the last 2 years. A feel-good ride it ain't, and I was low level anxious the entire time from the background string soundtrack, the acting, and the awkward situations, but that is why it was so good.

Phoenix was fucking amazing. Like, incredible. His transformation into this role was genius. I have a hard time thinking of a recent performance that even comes close.

• 5Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
There Will Be Blood.
Agreed, but that is not really recent (2007!).

I admit to thinking of Daniel Day-Lewis and Gary Oldman as comparable amazing character actors as I typed that.

Edit - And, let's face it, Ledger's Joker was pretty impressive as well, albeit in a less "dramatic" role if you catch my meaning.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Phoenix was fucking amazing. Like, incredible. His transformation into this role was genius. I have a hard time thinking of a recent performance that even comes close.
He's 20x the actor his brother ever was. He was also great in The Sisters Brothers and I even liked him a lot in Her.

Another really amazing performance from him is in You Were Never Really Here. The dude is very underrated.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Szlia

On planet Earth, Joaquin Phoenix got nominated for 6 Golden Globes over the years and won one. As for Academy Awards, he got nominated 4 times and got one. His collection of 47 awards also include a BAFTA, a Grammy, and a Best Actor award from the Cannes Film Festival. On planet Earth, Joaquin Phoenix is not very underrated. Sad to hear he is on planet Kirun Kirun though !

• 4Worf
  • 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
On planet Earth, Joaquin Phoenix got nominated for 6 Golden Globes over the years and won one. As for Academy Awards, he got nominated 4 times and got one. His collection of 47 awards also include a BAFTA, a Grammy, and a Best Actor award from the Cannes Film Festival. On planet Earth, Joaquin Phoenix is not very underrated. Sad to hear he is on planet Kirun Kirun though !
Fair enough. I just don't hear "buzz" around what an amazing actor he is like you do with the Hanks', Oldmans, Hopkins', etc. of the world. He's never lumped in with the "powerhouses" of male acting.

• 1Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Movie is overrated, actors were good/decent but it falls into "ill prolly never sit and watch it again". Only reason i might watch it is to remember how forgettable it was

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
i guess a sequel is happening

helena bonham carter what GIF

• 1Solidarity