Joker (2019)

spronk

FPS noob
You want to know how I got these scars? My movie made a billion dollars so I made a shitty sequel for the money

• 2Worf
  • 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
This out at the usual sites yet? Seems to be taking forever to get out in the wild

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Very good movie and Phoenix deserves some awards. I have no clue how it made so much money though. It's not something I would expect general audiences to flock to

Fadaar

That guy
Very good movie and Phoenix deserves some awards. I have no clue how it made so much money though. It's not something I would expect general audiences to flock to

It's the right kind of different that's why

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

It's the right kind of different that's why

I was thinking about this on the can. One of the reasons that Star Wars (the original) was such a success was that it was just so different. Big budget science fiction wasn't really a thing with the only really comparable being 2001: A Space Odyssey. Typically science fiction was your Logan's Run, Planet of the Apes, Westworld, Stepford Wives kinda stuff. Pessimistic downers even if good films in their own right. Coming off of the Vietnam War and its consequences American audiences were primed for something that wasn't dreary. Lucas's fun space adventure (with a real budget behind it) connected with audiences in a big way.

Joker really connecting with audiences is actually a little spooky viewed through that same lens. This is what took root in the soil of our cultural zeitgeist?

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Great flick, this and once upon a time in Hollywood prove Hollywood is still capable of making great movies, even with Disney trying their hardest to destroy the industry

• 1Like

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just watched the film, I think it was awesome in every aspect, I don't have anything else to say, I'm still baffled.

• 1Like

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The media was declaring the end times because of this movie both before and after release so of course people were interested in seeing it. I still wonder if the studio paid for the "negative" press, it was obvious that it would have the opposite effect.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Finally watched this yesterday - And this morning I woke up after having an extremely vivid dream about being diagnosed with "Simultaneous Personality Disorder" thanks to my DR. in my dream (probably meant Dissociative identity disorder). Long story short I was assured my personality and self-being was eroding and that I was going to turn into a totally different person, and the "old me" would be dead forever. My girlfriend was urged to leave me as well. Realized I had watched too much Mr. Robot and Joker, and was very happy to wake up. Fucked me up a bit, slept great other than that!

Anyways, movie was really solid. Phoenix was insanely fucking good. 8/10.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
Finally watched this yesterday - And this morning I woke up after having an extremely vivid dream about being diagnosed with "Simultaneous Personality Disorder" thanks to my DR. in my dream (probably meant Dissociative identity disorder). Long story short I was assured my personality and self-being was eroding and that I was going to turn into a totally different person, and the "old me" would be dead forever. My girlfriend was urged to leave me as well. Realized I had watched too much Mr. Robot and Joker, and was very happy to wake up. Fucked me up a bit, slept great other than that!

Anyways, movie was really solid. Phoenix was insanely fucking good. 8/10.

I've woken up from a dream before 100% sure I had killed someone and hid the body, but couldn't recall all of the details as I had forced myself to forget them. As ridiculous as that sounds, the weight of it having just awakened was unsettling. I think losing your mind is one of the scariest things out there.

• 1Solidarity

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Not exceptional but good movie. The slow buildup made the talk show scene really good. Mostly everything after that was not real. The scooby doo ending with bloody footprints for instance.

Jive Turkey

Karen
Watched this a couple days ago. Loved it. Perfectly paced, great character development, and never fell into the genre tropes. Glad the studio didn't pressure them into including a big dumb action sequence and ruin the whole tone. I'm interested in where they take it for the sequel

Raskoljnikov

Lord Nagafen Raider
Great movie. I also watched it few days ago. Totally achieved my expectations, especially regards psychology. Arthur (Joker) is misundersood by others who is fighting against himself. Nobody is truly listening him. Loved the slow pace and developing the character over the time.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Fucking wikipedia, I realized I had no fucking idea what the black dahlia was, so I looked that up, then it linked to something called the glasgow smile, so I looked that up, and it looks like thats kinda what the joker had going on (not this joker iteration though)

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
There have been movies in the past that are all but objectively good that I just don't get. Seven, Fight Club are two examples that come to mind. This is now one of them. I thought it was dull for the first 2/3s for a payoff in the last 3rd that was pretty good but not enough to make it worth it for me. At least I got to see DiNero get shot in the eye... And Phoenix was definitely amazing and they captured the 80s feel really well. Decent but not great.

• 1Solidarity