Joker (2019)

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
It might just be people are sick of the same old over the top bullshit spectacle films and when a more subdued and serious tone comic film comes along its like a breath of fresh air. Even if the film isn't that good.

Yeah, but you're wrong. The film was actually fantastic.

spronk

FPS noob
Yeah, but you're wrong. The film was actually fantastic.

i wonder too about if you need a certain mindset to view this movie as fantastic. I thought it was fine, but I've never suffered from depression or even really been sad in my life, so any mental stuff was just like "huh that dude is losing it, why is he dancing so weird". I also really hated the lighthouse (literally wish I had walked out) and that deals a bit with mental stuff as well and I see a lot of people rate it as the best movie of the year and stuff and I'm just like "wtf"

of course i'm one of those plebs who sees John Wick 3 and End Game as my top movies so what the fuck does my uncultured ass know

maybe if I watch enough of these movies i'll be sad too

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
i wonder too about if you need a certain mindset to view this movie as fantastic. I thought it was fine, but I've never suffered from depression or even really been sad in my life, so any mental stuff was just like "huh that dude is losing it, why is he dancing so weird". I also really hated the lighthouse (literally wish I had walked out) and that deals a bit with mental stuff as well and I see a lot of people rate it as the best movie of the year and stuff and I'm just like "wtf"

of course i'm one of those plebs who sees John Wick 3 and End Game as my top movies so what the fuck does my uncultured ass know

maybe if I watch enough of these movies i'll be sad too

I have never had mental issues and never experienced depression in my life. I also have all of the John Wick movies and am an unabashed Keanu Reeves fan.

Joker was fantastic because of the care taken to tell a specific story very well. Maybe spoilers after this?

It was a story about a man slowly realizing who he actually is and embracing it wholly. The twist was that who he actually is turned out to be a psychopath and he is so damaged that he is fine with himself in that role. It didn't even have to be called Joker to be fantastic. The worst part of the movie was showing the Batman origin again.

We don't often get well crafted stories any more, so we should appreciate them when they come out. If it isn't you type of movie, that is fine, but I think the whole thing is objectively fantastic as a movie given the acting, cinematography, set design, etc.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Oh wow. Didn't expect that.

Then again the film did make a billion dollars off of a $50M investment. What a return.

Now we get to explore the Clown Prince of Crime. Should be interesting.

• 1Like

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Oh wow. Didn't expect that.

Then again the film did make a billion dollars off of a $50M investment. What a return.

Now we get to explore the Clown Prince of Crime. Should be interesting.
Right on. I really do like this take on the Joker. He hadn't quite fallen fully into the insanity by the movies end.
I hope they give him more good writing to work with.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
So I didn't really care for The Joker. I thought it was slow and skirted the line too close to arthouse film. That said there was a lot of good to take away from it and how it ended, and how he has turned into The Joker is going to make for a very good sequel I think.

Part of the reason it felt slow was because just how much attention they gave to character development, with very little action. The payoff was condensed to the very end. As a standalone movie this doesn't work well, as a series it works very well.

• 2Like

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Second movie does well, hopefully we'll get a legit Batman Joker movie with Phoenix and someone that does a good job playing Batman (aka NOT Ben Affleck) for what will finally be the Batman movie that tops the greatest Batman movie of all time, Batman 1988

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

Not sure what high quality angle you could take with a sequel without rehashing the first. First movie was the journey with the dread of knowing what was to come. Now we are at the destination.

• 1Like

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Bridge the story gap between Joker's beginning and him getting Batman's attention. I mean Batman is like 30 by the time he starts wearing the cape and crime fighting. He was like 12 in this movie. Plenty of space to fill.

But I do doubt it'll be a movie that tugs the heart strings nearly like Joker 1 did

• 1Like

Khane

Bridge the story gap between Joker's beginning and him getting Batman's attention. I mean Batman is like 30 by the time he starts wearing the cape and crime fighting. He was like 12 in this movie. Plenty of space to fill.

But I do doubt it'll be a movie that tugs the heart strings nearly like Joker 1 did

Keep Batman completely out of it other than seeing him as a kid or teenager watching the city suffer.

• 2Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Nah I'd rather they bridge to Ledger's joker

Don't do another arthouse flick.

Go comic book, show a rapid rise and change to ledger's joker.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Thought it was pretty damn good.

Prolly gonna buy this.

• 1Like

Khane

We already saw Nolan/Ledger's Joker. And Joaquin doesn't have the scars from his father. WHY SO SERIOUS?!

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
We already saw Nolan/Ledger's Joker. And Joaquin doesn't have the scars from his father. WHY SO SERIOUS?!

Its a blank that can be filled in. Its also an opportunity for Phoenix to do his take on it.

I'd personally like to see the Todd Phillips Joker go towards the comics a bit more. And filling in more blanks to the Ledger joker which is much further along the timeline is one possible storyline. We've never had TWO Joker movies. The character is going to have to go somewhere and theres going to have to be another story to tell.

You're also taking it way too literal. Scars? who cares.

Last edited: