Joker (2019)

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Feel like they're going to make Joker too sympathetic. He's always just been a crazy fucker that appeared out of nowhere, basically the Batman Universe's closest thing to pure evil. Sympathetic backstory really is pretty far from traditional Joker.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Braen

<Medals Crew>
The Joker has always been about "Anyone can go insane". If he was just pure evil, then he can't fulfill that belief. If he was an everyday man, he epitomizes it.

In his case, he breaks WAY bad.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Feel like they're going to make Joker too sympathetic. He's always just been a crazy fucker that appeared out of nowhere, basically the Batman Universe's closest thing to pure evil. Sympathetic backstory really is pretty far from traditional Joker.

Well if we're going in true joker fashion then his sympathetic backstory is just a total fabrication. That said. I don't get where this movie is going...

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
It's just a one off Joker movie and all that matters is if it's good or not. Joaquin is pretty badass. Right now I'm definitely in the camp of wanting to go see it.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Well if we're going in true joker fashion then his sympathetic backstory is just a total fabrication. That said. I don't get where this movie is going...

I was wondering earlier if they'd go this route... Have the movie be narrated by the Joker himself, leaving open the possibility that he's making it all up.

• 1Like

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>
OK, I will admit he pulls off weird leaning into crazy well.

But seriously, I watched that teaser/trailer and all I thought was... "Falling Down, now with JOKES!"
ANd this is a problem because?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
I mean its interesting and might be a good movie but my problem is at the core Joker is a weird, kooky character and leaning into his crazy/surrealness without trying to "explain" him has worked far better - Batman video games, Dark Knight. That trailer looked like an art house movie and I'm not sure the Joker works well in that context. We'll see I guess, I just like Joker as a force of nature with a mysterious past you can't explain. Trying to demystify him via "he was depressed" ... doesn't seem like its gonna work.

Its like trying to make Juggernaut or Rocket Raccoon as serious characters, its unlikely it can work well.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
ANd this is a problem because?

Because it will never top the original. Not to mention from just the teaser I can tell they're going to great lengths to do the "But he was just a victim of society that made him into a monster" angle and I'm tired as hell of that.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
OK, I will admit he pulls off weird leaning into crazy well.

But seriously, I watched that teaser/trailer and all I thought was... "Falling Down, now with JOKES!"
That's what I got from the trailer too. But that's fucking awesome.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Actually I'm getting a bad 'Hannibal Rising' vibe from this whole thing. I don't like when Joker has any origin more complex than 'whoopsie fell into some chemicals' or 'you know how i got these scars?!?', because he should be more than just a sum of his parts. They destroyed a lot of Hannibal's mystique by having him just be a victim of childhood trauma and I think they're setting up to do something similar here. Joker should not be sympathetic or humanized, he's an elemental force.

• 4Like
  • 2Great Review
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
I was wondering earlier if they'd go this route... Have the movie be narrated by the Joker himself, leaving open the possibility that he's making it all up.
Agreed. They should go unreliable narrator to nix sympathy. Have the final scene undermine preceding events.

• 2Like
  • 1Great Review
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Actually I'm getting a bad 'Hannibal Rising' vibe from this whole thing. I don't like when Joker has any origin more complex than 'whoopsie fell into some chemicals' or 'you know how i got these scars?!?', because he should be more than just a sum of his parts. They destroyed a lot of Hannibal's mystique by having him just be a victim of childhood trauma and I think they're setting up to do something similar here. Joker should not be sympathetic or humanized, he's an elemental force.
yeah, i'm in "The Killing Joke" camp as well. Joker has to be pure chaos.

• 1Like
  • 1Great Review

Jive Turkey

Karen
yea, you're SUPPOSED to follow the author of this shit
5119b8fccd7bf777ec9986e6f2faf7fb.png

and go, "oh thats why he's a fag"

look at him
0e9a0f08500c56a24ca7b44f8245b097.png

literally from liberal arts to barista to fail blogger

He literally couldn't virtue signal any harder with that Moonlight tshirt. What a silly cunt

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Why does this have to be related to any comic book story or affect those stories in any way? It may take cues from various stories but the bar being how faithfully it adheres to those stories is kind of bullshit. Scorsese is producing this, my guess is it's going to be a Joker version of Taxi Driver.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
My interest in this was always kinda low.

It seems to be a story of a sympathetic guy, who is mistreated by society and end up being psychopath. Joaquin seems to capture that very well, and the movie might be very good.

It just doesn't feel like a Joker movie to me, and I've mentioned this before but I do not want in any way for the Joker to be a sympathetic character that became what he is because of society.

I just want him to be fucking crazy because he's just fucking crazy period, no reason needed...just a deranged character for it's own sake, no fucking sob story required. I feel that if you try to explain the character, that just lessen him.

• 2Like

Sevens

Log Wizard
but isnt there like, A million Earths in the DC universe?
So this is just one version of the character

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Or it's like Clue and there will be multiple possible endings or in this case, beginnings!