Joker (2019)

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I just don't understand a joker origin movie. I mean he's never had any past in the comics or even a name. The mystery is one of the Maine things unique about the character

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Its one of the main things Nolan played with in acknowledging the fact Joker had no backstory.

No backstory to anything about him including his scars.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
That looks... good.

I feel that the trailer is intentionally misleading. He's clearly going to snap (the shot of him with blood all over his makeup) and it is all an escalation. The trailer may have made it look somewhat uplifting, but I think it's more of an acceleration to the breaking point.

Never been disappointed with a Joaquin Phoenix role, so I am definitely still interested in this hah.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
It was ok I guess. It just doesn't feel like a comic book character's movie but maybe that's the point. If you took out the title it looks like it could be any generic movie about someone's decent into madness. Will probably wait on some reviews before deciding to see it.

Cybsled

With movies like this, you have a general idea on how it ends due to your familiarity with the character. If you're smart, though, you can use that to create drama and induce dread in the audience. Like even though you know how it ends, part of you wants it to go a different way and for the character to not become evil.

I'll be curious to see how this pans out

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Looks meh but Joaquin is the reason 70% of the audience will show up. Even with him though, it still looks meh. I also will be waiting for WoM.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
This seems less like _a_ Joker's origin story and more of "What if Tyler Durden went mainstream instead and turned into a celebrity/politician?" (If, indeed, there is any functional difference anymore.)

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
Looks like it would be a really cool movie, if it was completely separate from anything having to do with the Joker. Giving Joker a backstory and a the whole "he was just someone who needed better mental health support...he was a good guy but he just slowly snapped!" is a fucking shame.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Twitter-tards are hating on this, so that's a good sign.

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Twitter-tards are hating on this, so that's a good sign.

Kind of funny because I'm sure it's not just white people that can empathize with what we've seen in the trailer. I'm sure there will be political commentary and sympathizing for what he goes through in the movie by people of all stripes; plenty of people feel the call of the void and just wanting to burn it all down from time to time.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Same movie, same premise, starring a black man and these faggots would be creaming t heir jeans about "speaking truth to power" or some shit

Donald Glover in D'Joker would win awards

• 6Like
  • 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Kind of funny because I'm sure it's not just white people that can empathize with what we've seen in the trailer. I'm sure there will be political commentary and sympathizing for what he goes through in the movie by people of all stripes; plenty of people feel the call of the void and just wanting to burn it all down from time to time.

But if they make a movie about a guy with sympathize or empathize with, are they making a movie about the Joker? He isn't a sympathetic character, we shouldn't empathize with him. He is a cold-blooded murderer, a force of entropy, a psychopath with no redeeming qualities. If the movie makes us feel bad for him and, by the end, hasn't made us feel stupid for doing so, I am pretty sure it has failed to live up to it's title.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
If you're going into this movie with those expectations, I can 100% guarantee you're going to be let down.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Soooooooo......based on those hilarious tweets (along side the usual "it's all so tiresome"), the fact that he is white trumps (pun intended) mental illness on the virtue stack for the theme of criticism of this movie? I mirror the comment that if the main character was anything but white these vapid cunts would ignore the actual source material and talk about how stunning and brave the movie is for bringing up discussion of mental illness in Hispanics/blacks/Indians/whatever non-white.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

no no. its not about race, its about men.

Incel shut-in refuses to leave their bedroom, and mopes all day/night. Forced to go interact with the public, they lash-out violently and attacks a crowd of people, and maims their sister.
Flees, and sings a song about going their own way.

• 2Like