Joker (2019)

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
yeah, like i said, it's starts to become a difficult argument to make, because we want to argue in terms of batman and joker being real people and they aren't. in the real world neither character can exist. they are monoliths and paragons and they just can't survive in the real world.

batman is the definition of gray area. he maims people, breaks bones, tortures them... as a reader you want to look at it and say that anyone who does that kind of stuff SHOULD at some point start using a sliding scale on what's okay and what's not. it's INCREDIBLY easy to justify joker's death vs hundreds or thousands, but again, batman doesn't think that way. he can't, because as Big Toe puts it, batman is just as insane as the joker. might honestly be even worse. and honestly? batman probably knows this as well. if he budges even an inch on his stance he'll be off to the races.

batman doesn't not kill people for some altruistic "killing is bad" reason. batman doesn't kill because it's the ONLY thing separating himself from the ones who murdered his parents. he doesn't kill people for HIM. he doesn't dress up like a bat and fight bad guys to save the world. he is 100% selfishly acting out. gotham is HIS city. he says that all the time. in his eyes, gotham doesn't belong to the people, it belongs to him and he gets to do whatever he wants in that city. and he WANTS to hurt people.

This stuff is all 100% okie dokie. Like I said at the start I just wish writers would stop making the Joker more and more cartoonishly absurdly edgelordily evil so Batman's ideals and the failure of literally anyone on the planet to take permanent action wasn't so fucking dumb.

This feels genuine -

U3hNEwi3o8Jb8sxbSCRkm2mnBW4my9AZT7IXZIY8y3sbPsddkQvU9bgwN8CcoeEJVPYc2KNgsgbX=s1600

this not so much (yes his own face was cut off and he's wearing it) -

iQ0C6KOC4hS4EKeqctoZ4V3i0aT5xnV-ktkH6_LTMHe3PFPZ75I3rxgrotmOK4YqRjrGvaiycxoH9w=s1600

But we've got multiple Batman titles coming out each month so we gotta do something.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
for what it's worth, joker has character development, at least on some level. there's progression. comics, especially the bigger, more commercially viable characters, just go in circles. wolverine has metal claws. then gets the metal ripped out of his body, but still is basically the same person. he eventually gets all the metal back and then is functionally identical to pre-magneto. wolverine having metal in his body is such an iconic part of his character that it's become the status quo and you can't buck that for too long. wolverine's spotty, swiss cheese brain is another iconic part of him. he figures out who he is, who he was before weapon x... then... sooner or later he comes back and doesn't remember anything anymore.

joker at least, even if it goes in frustrating directions, doesn't appear to "reset," though, i could be wrong, i haven't followed much of DC recently.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I dunno why, but I'm totally on board with this. Phoenix is almost always gold and I'm digging the look for whatever reason.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I wouldn't mind it if it was a guy gets pushed around and becomes the bad guy you root for until the end when he just goes full bad and you're like "Oh. Shit." They don't really make those movies much. A movie you kind of fear and respect the guy at the end.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
This stuff is all 100% okie dokie. Like I said at the start I just wish writers would stop making the Joker more and more cartoonishly absurdly edgelordily evil so Batman's ideals and the failure of literally anyone on the planet to take permanent action wasn't so fucking dumb.

This feels genuine -

U3hNEwi3o8Jb8sxbSCRkm2mnBW4my9AZT7IXZIY8y3sbPsddkQvU9bgwN8CcoeEJVPYc2KNgsgbX=s1600

Here is the animated form of this (Hammil is truly an amazing Joker):

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Not sure if it's been pointed out but the setting of this movie is the 80's which is why his clothes and paint seem so off. I think Phoenix can pull off whatever he wants, anything to at least get away from the godawful Leto joker, but the director and the rest is concerning.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The Joker is the child of Mime and Marionette of the Watchmen universe, character backstory officially backfilled

mime.png

I guess the writer got pissy that people figured out his big twist months ago and is changing it so ha.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I wouldn't mind it if it was a guy gets pushed around and becomes the bad guy you root for until the end when he just goes full bad and you're like "Oh. Shit." They don't really make those movies much. A movie you kind of fear and respect the guy at the end.
As long as they have a better build up than, hey im him a good guy but now that I'm bad I will immediately kill a bunch of kids and force choke the woman I love even though saving her was the only reason I became bad.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

As long as they have a better build up than, hey im him a good guy but now that I'm bad I will immediately kill a bunch of kids and force choke the woman I love even though saving her was the only reason I became bad.

This guy's got Hollywood talent written all over him!

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Are you sure they were extras and not the normal folks that just pee on the tracks?

Chris

Potato del Grande
They should have this be the real Joker and the origin of Heath Ledger's version with the suicide squad one being a corrupted Robin.

Make a Batman movie bridging the two about how the Nolan Batman returns to Gotham (Joker kills/cripples Catwoman to force Batman back?), teams up with Robin to fight him and locks Joker up in Arkham at the cost of Robin's sanity.

How to reconcile that with Alfred aging backwards for BvS I don't know. Alfred's son, Alfred jr?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, or leave the Nolan movies the fuck alone and let the current DC abortion play out until a better team takes over.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Heian

Molten Core Raider
The idea that the suicide squad Joker is a corrupted Robin was very good. Explained a bit more why he is a caricature of the real one and fit much better. Can they still go with it?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
The idea that the suicide squad Joker is a corrupted Robin was very good. Explained a bit more why he is a caricature of the real one and fit much better. Can they still go with it?
It's a fan theory from the BvS trailer that had "hahaha" painted on the Robin suit.

We know that something went down between Joker and Robin but given the state of the DCU I doubt that anything will come of it.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Is there reason to think it's more than just the standard Joker killing Jason Todd with a crowbar?