JRPGs

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
I recently picked up a 3DS XL, and I've been playing Pokemon Ultra Moon. I bought my son a 2DS XL and Pokemon Ultra Sun.

I've also been playing DQ7, and bought DQ8 and Monster Hunter Generations. I should have enough JRPGs to last me for a few years, but any recommendations of good games for 3DS?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I recently picked up a 3DS XL, and I've been playing Pokemon Ultra Moon. I bought my son a 2DS XL and Pokemon Ultra Sun.

I've also been playing DQ7, and bought DQ8 and Monster Hunter Generations. I should have enough JRPGs to last me for a few years, but any recommendations of good games for 3DS?

Personally only really bought my 3DS for JRPGs but both SMT:IV and SMT:IV Apocalypse are really solid. If you enjoy strategy Fire Emblem Awakening, Fates and Echoes are worth a playthrough. Fan of first person dungeon crawling? Etrian Odyssey franchise is excellent as well, I think there are like 6 or so EO games on 3DS at this point heh.

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I never touch anything but JRPGs on the 3DS either.

Radiant Historia is the best game on the system imo, even though it's a remaster of a DS game.

I'm a big fan of SMT and highly recommend all of them on 3DS except Strange Journey.

Bravely Default is excellent despite the repetition that happens halfway through. Bravely Second I got maybe 6 hours into, just couldn't go on.

FE Echoes was great. Awakening is ok despite the waifu simulator nonsense that brought in a new fanbase of freaks and 'shippers. Fates...avoid like the plague--even if you like the waifu simulator idiocy they let Treehouse take a giant shit on the localization.

Etrian Odyssey series is good, Persona Q is even better. If you don't want to play through the whole EO series, starting with Nexus is fine (if a bit overwhelming since there's a huge number of classes taken from all the previous games). Alternatively, start with EO4 since it's the most accessible one. Persona Q2 is due out in a few months.

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I've no interest in the persona games. What is SMT?

If you don't like the Persona games I can't see how you'd like any SMT games in general. I loved the shit out of Digital Devil Saga and Nocturne, but both are extremely difficult and challenging games, with all of the same persona style mechanics (around the monster collecting and using them for your combat).

Nocturne is especially punishing, in that your build choices are permanent and you can really fuck things up doing the wrong shit.

But both games are still top shelf. I wish they made more of those for the PS3/4/PC, but I can't see them being popular enough to do so.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I think it depends on what you dislike about Persona. If it's the combat/general JRPG gameplay with weakness/strength and the fusing of units to make new units and all that stuff, then yeah SMT would suck. But if what you dislike about Persona is everything else, the whole living as a high schooler, morning/evening split, calendar shit, building relationships with other people, dating the girls and the general anime-ish feel of the whole thing, I'd say other SMT games tend to be very different in that regard.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fedor

<Banned>

4izYCK8.jpg

GXXX6Hr.jpg

Tales-of-Arise_2019_06-07-19_001.jpg

Tales-of-Arise_2019_06-07-19_002.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Repost
Reactions: 2 users

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
That Tales game looks good, but if it is remotely like Vesperia then it's a no buy.

• 1Like

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Doubt it will be anything like Vesperia. ToV combat hasn't really aged well, Graces F still has the best combat(shame about the story/characters though).

• 1Solidarity

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I played Atelier Lulua, I really like the Atelier games. Very cute, my only complaint is that every single one of the girl characters in that game looks the same. lol. But I really love the crafting (duh) and it's a cute fun game to pick up. If you're not already into them though, wait for it to go on sale.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Tales game looks good, strange seeing realistic armor and cartoon style character, has always been weird to me.

Rude

Potato del Grande
That Tales game looks good, but if it is remotely like Vesperia then it's a no buy.
What's with the hate for Vesperia? Had a few problems but I'd say it's one of the best in the series.

• 1Dislike

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The combat is an abomination for one. I haven't gotten super far into it for that reason, but there's nothing special about the story/characters so far either.

After getting the Switch version at release, I feel like the only reason it's notable is because MS paid to kill the PS3 version in the west and a lot of JRPG fans only heard about it rather than actually played it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Doesn't make much sense to fear the newest Tales would be like one that was made 11years ago though. Now it doesn't mean it'll be good, but the point of comparison should be Berseria, since that's the last Tales released. Personally I quite liked that one, it wasn't the greatest ever, but it was pretty nice, although the main character was a bit boring, combat wise(I switched to the caster girl about halfway and it was a lot of fun).

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
What's with the hate for Vesperia? Had a few problems but I'd say it's one of the best in the series.

Abysmal story, extremely tedious combat and pretty uninspired over all. After 10 hours I was like "well it'll probably get good" and then repeated that until 50 had gone by. I beat it and did all the crap that you could do without going NG+. If it wasn't on the switch and something I played while traveling I would probably have just canned it straight away.

• 1Salty

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Vesperia was one of the best Tales if played and im currently on my second playthrough of Berseria - Tales if the only jrpg i consistently buy even tho Grace was an absolute bore.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I've only played Zestiria and Berseria but the combat is quite possibly the worst RPG combat I've ever experienced. Never finished Berseria because of it. Terrible. And Zestiria's story was god awful as well. I powered through it because I was convinced it HAD to get better but nope. One of the worst games I've ever had the displeasure of slogging through.