JRPGs

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I've been finishing up Yakuzo 0, game has great story and voice acting. Sunk tons of hours into the side stuff alone. Gonna start Kiwami right after.

Yeah I need to buy this. Rented it and it is absolutely fantastic.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It’s BAD. People are just turning on Japanese voices and reading the sub titles.

It sounds like someone had the hiccups or were sneezing and hitting a red mute button before finishing their really bad acting of the script. Or were taking a gigantic shit while recording via an iPhone mic. “Will you........ zzzzzzzz. Take me to Elysium?” It’s a.......... zzzzzzzz. Girl. “. The entire first part of this trailer is cringe worthy English dub.

So highly highly recommend if playing this to use the Japanese voices which you need to download, and turn on subtitles.

Holy shit. William Shatner and his fan club did the voice overs for XC2! That's.... .... .... awesome!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Sigh, this thread just added like 10 games to my backlog.

Berseria, Persona 5, Trails in the Sky 1,2,3, Cold Steel 1,2,3, Nier..... Fuck

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Shit I should finish persona 5. I’m forty hours in.

Needless

Toe Sucker
lmao the opening part of the song at 00:29 sounds like they straight up stole GoT, some of them are awful but some of them aren't terrible

I definitely think SO4 was worse haha

• 1Worf

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I don't mind the dub too much apart from the lack of excitement or passion in the voices. I actually like the VA work for Pyra and I like the accent that Rex has apart from it feels a bit flat.

I'll probably try using the Japanese pack to see how it feels.

Also really weird Nia has a welsh accent and it's actually throwing me off a bit.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
How is the story so far? Heard it’s slow to start. Music?

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Biggest reason I'm using the JP audio is that it appears that the lip sycning is matched to that and not the english audio.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Even if the english VA is awful i'll probably still just use them, the one thing i like about the switch is the ability to just play a game and watch a show or something at the same time. Can't be doin that with subtitles lol

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
The story isn't really slow, the battles are a bit but they're already ramping up in complexity so I don't mind.

If you're in a 100% questing mindset you'll be in the prologue area for quite a while as there's a few sidequests there. The music is fantastic and the visuals are great.

The only thing I dislike so far is the voice acting which is a disappointment because I loved the English voice talent in Xenoblade Chronicles.

The voices are fine, but the lack of passion in the delivery feels weird when Rex is clearly shouting something and he sounds mildly perturbed.

• 1Like

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
The story isn't really slow, the battles are a bit but they're already ramping up in complexity so I don't mind.

If you're in a 100% questing mindset you'll be in the prologue area for quite a while as there's a few sidequests there. The music is fantastic and the visuals are great.

The only thing I dislike so far is the voice acting which is a disappointment because I loved the English voice talent in Xenoblade Chronicles.

The voices are fine, but the lack of passion in the delivery feels weird when Rex is clearly shouting something and he sounds mildly perturbed.

Yeah that's were the talent of Japanese VA talent is. Alot of dubs I listen to just lack that emotion that trained voice actors from Japan have.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Yeah that's were the talent of Japanese VA talent is. Alot of dubs I listen to just lack that emotion that trained voice actors from Japan have.

It's disappointing too, because the English voice talent for Xenoblade Chronicles showed amazing passion and voice work. It's partly what sold me on that game.

• 1Like

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
It's disappointing too, because the English voice talent for Xenoblade Chronicles showed amazing passion and voice work. It's partly what sold me on that game.

Yep for sure, the XC1 is a case of a great dub.

• 1Barf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Hey gshurik gshurik make sure you rest at inns. It’s the only way to apply your bonus xp. Just saw that on a stream.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Yeah they explain that mechanic to you really early on, I tend to try to be right at relevant enemy levels in JRPGs though so it doesn't get too mindlessly easy

Molten Core Raider
With the Valkyria Chronicles 4 announcement I decided to give Azure Revolution a try. Few hours in and so far this feels like a visual novel more than a game. I've done one mission besides the tutorial and that lasted 15ish minutes and sat through hours of cut scenes and exposition. The entire Persona 5 voice cast is in this game so that helps ease the slog so far but man this game has got to pick up soon.

Molten Core Raider
About five hours in. So far the story is decent and I'm interested enough to be curious how it unfolds. The game is told as a flashback essentially, the main characters are referred to as "The Traitors" right from the start and orchestrated a war for reasons that haven't been expanded on yet but you get an idea of why early on. Nothing so grand as the first Valkryia Chronicles game (yet), it feels like a more personal revenge story.

Combat wise it reminds me a bit of a more actiony FF12. You free run around a battle map and have an action meter that depletes when you hammer the attack button then refills after a few seconds. Alternatively you can bring up context menus and utilize secondary weapons, give direct orders, or use ragnite, this game's version of magic. Action stops when the menu is open so you can plan without being rushed. The game uses a Gambit like system to prioritize actions for your teammates. Set one as a Support then have her focus on healing, buffing, then ranged damage and she acts accordingly on the battlefield. Just don't tell one to focus on melee attacks cause they will run around like a rabid squirrel aggroing everything.

• 1Like

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Watched some streams from Xenoblade 2. I want it now, but I don't want a switch. Every Nintendo console I've bought since the Wii has been for one game that I end up playing, then getting nothing else. WiiU I got for Xenoblade X too. Only games I've ever really played on that are the two Xenoblades (got the wii version), the persona like game and the most recent Zelda.

Are there any other exclusive switch RPGs now or planned?

Khane Khane
Berseria, Persona 5, Trails in the Sky 1,2,3, Cold Steel 1,2,3, Nier..... Fuck
---
Looked for fun at the howlongtobeat site. All the trails games are 40+ for just main content. Nier is 20+. Berseria is 40+ (I finished at 75) and Persona 5 is 90+ for just main stuff too (I finished at over 100).

So that's a 390 hour backlog rushing just the main stories.