JRPGs

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I was wondering if there was anything worth grinding up in the demo. Is Angela the only character who can farm Sahagin? I'm playing as Kevin for my first run and maxed him out for the demo, but maybe I'll start a second game as Angela and get my farm on. Wouldn't mind doing that, I suppose. What about Riesz, is there anything good she can farm? She'll be my third playthrough.

Farming in a Mana game isn't new to me since I just played through the original SNES version and stopped to grind out 9 levels when I got to the first class-change crystal (rather than going back to it later). It took like 5 hours, because levels are SLOW in that version and I had a caster-heavy group. It was relaxing though, and I got my first class change done early.

Gotta say, as much as I like the original version, I think they did a great job with this remake. It blows away the Secret of Mana remake we got a couple years ago.

Also worth noting that between Angela, Riesz, Isabella, Jessica, and Angela's Mom, Trials has a really smooth, fuckable cast.

Last edited:

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Sahagin are the only unique/missable item droppers that people have found (Silver item seeds + Sahagin chips) and they only exist in Angela's first area (becomes inaccessible when you get to the first town). Unless you pick Charlotte as your 3rd character then you are limited to only recruiting the 2nd character in your chosen party (demo ends before you would get other 3rds shortly after). If you're going for an Angela save with 99x silvers expect to put a few hours into it since you are circling through four battles over and over hoping for 2-5% drops. It's a mix of sahagin + rabites so you will get regular item seeds while doing it.

Leveling up the item planter can be done with regular item seeds from rabites near Jadd. Getting that to level 5, having 10x stat serums saved up, 99x other items, 100,000 money is probably the goal.

Class balances may change dramatically in the remake, damage will go beyond 999 and there are more abilities to regen MP. Here's an image chart of the costumes based on Light/Dark class choices (the final two are post-game choices for NG+)

Malakriss

Also one other small point, i want to make sure i'm not the only crazy person.. but does it make way more sense to put Dash on the R3 toggle? Feels awkward as hell to hold forward on the joystick and then press down to toggle L3 dash but by swapping the controls you can joystick freely and toggle easily on a stationary R3.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Also one other small point, i want to make sure i'm not the only crazy person.. but does it make way more sense to put Dash on the R3 toggle? Feels awkward as hell to hold forward on the joystick and then press down to toggle L3 dash but by swapping the controls you can joystick freely and toggle easily on a stationary R3.

I agree completely. I also switched attack and dodge to put attack on the Y button (or equivalent) and dodge on A, with strong attack on X. That makes this play just like a Dynasty Warriors, which is a good fit for it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It's not that uncommon, although it's not great placement. Dark Souls iirc lets you dash like that(on top of holding circle), Monster Hunter World too(but it's mostly for auto running versus holding R1 for normal dashes). It's fine for long distances but feels clunky when you have to dash a lot. Can modify that stuff though especially on PC where you can reconfigure the pad to whatever you feel like via Steam.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Pulled out my OG PSP and hacked it to put PS1 games on it. Any reccomendations? Got Breath of Fire 3 and Vagrant Story so far. Already played the FF's.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Pulled out my OG PSP and hacked it to put PS1 games on it. Any reccomendations? Got Breath of Fire 3 and Vagrant Story so far. Already played the FF's.

Vagrant Story is sick, though the visuals haven't aged that well. In-era it was one of the finest-looking games on the system.

It depends on what you haven't played already. Chrono Cross is my #1 PS1 RPG personally. Ten more that come to mind: Xenogears, Star Ocean 2, SaGa Frontier, Suikoden 1 and 2, Wild Arms 1 and 2, the two Lunar remakes, and Legend of Dragoon. Can't go wrong with picking one of those that you haven't played and giving it a whirl. Except maybe SaGa which might be a bit of an acquired taste.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

joz123

Potato del Grande
Ya I played the Chronos/Suikodens and Wild Arms. Will probably try Legend of Legaia. Don't think I tried Saga Frontier or Star Oceans yet.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Legend of Dragoon is -really- good so I'd probably recommend that out of the ones you haven't played on that list. Legend of Legaia is pretty ehh.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Sahagin are the only unique/missable item droppers that people have found (Silver item seeds + Sahagin chips) and they only exist in Angela's first area (becomes inaccessible when you get to the first town). Unless you pick Charlotte as your 3rd character then you are limited to only recruiting the 2nd character in your chosen party (demo ends before you would get other 3rds shortly after). If you're going for an Angela save with 99x silvers expect to put a few hours into it since you are circling through four battles over and over hoping for 2-5% drops. It's a mix of sahagin + rabites so you will get regular item seeds while doing it.

Leveling up the item planter can be done with regular item seeds from rabites near Jadd. Getting that to level 5, having 10x stat serums saved up, 99x other items, 100,000 money is probably the goal.

Class balances may change dramatically in the remake, damage will go beyond 999 and there are more abilities to regen MP. Here's an image chart of the costumes based on Light/Dark class choices (the final two are post-game choices for NG+)

I'm about to get an Angela sahagin farm going. Does it matter what difficulty you play on? I'm going to play the actual game on Hard all the way (because it's pretty damn easy otherwise) but I'll probably start on the lowest difficulty to speed up the farming (then turn it back up for the rest). Unless it doesn't matter. I mean I'll probably be one-shotting those things before too long either way right? Unless Angela's attack power at level 7 is still terrible.

Malakriss

I'm about to get an Angela sahagin farm going. Does it matter what difficulty you play on? I'm going to play the actual game on Hard all the way (because it's pretty damn easy otherwise) but I'll probably start on the lowest difficulty to speed up the farming (then turn it back up for the rest). Unless it doesn't matter. I mean I'll probably be one-shotting those things before too long either way right? Unless Angela's attack power at level 7 is still terrible.
I don't think difficulty matters for drop rate at all. I know on Normal a level 7 Angela can jump+power to one shot Lv1 rabites and a charged attack will one shot sahagin.

Personally, i hit 99x silver seeds and didn't bother finishing chips up after that. There's a million different status and elemental items you can get from converting rabite seeds so i'm just going to do enough Jadd grinding to get 10 of each serum, max a stack of regular seeds after that, and not worry too much.

Planter levels seem to be 20, 30, 50, 100 according to a post. So maxing that + 99 regular ready to drop for live will be a good jumpstart. Not sure if it will be beneficial to wait on silvers though.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Got 10x silver seeds and 8x regular seeds so far, took about 55 minutes to get that many. This isn't too bad, certainly nothing compared to the Pink Tail farm in FFIV. Planning on spending about 15 hours on this. I figure the main benefit to Sahagin Scales is to have something to sell, maybe? Once I get 99 silver seeds I'll do the same thing you're doing and farm Jadd. Supposedly you can save scum a bit to get the items you want, though I read that the max serums you can get per stack of ten seeds is 3. So it might be advantageous to plant 10 seeds at a time and reload if you get fewer than 3 serums.

When do these serums get used, anyway? I'd want to just use them on my MC right there, aside from maybe leaving Str and Sta for fighters. I'll probably save the silver seeds, especially if they can give up equipment later.

My first run is still gonna be Kevin and I didn't do any of this in his intro nor do I really want to, one character is enough farming for me. So I'm going to have Angela be my new game + type character who starts with a big advantage after the more normal playthrough with Kevin.

Malakriss

10 seeds is the max you can plant at once anyways. For serums no one knows if there will be a limited number of them in the full release, we only know 10 is the cap for the demo.

I'm assuming it will be a finite number per play through so you want to use them wisely, but then you would have to run NG+ multiple times if you wanted to stat cap. Not sure if they'll award all costumes at each class change since you can swap freely but NG+ would be a way to make you try out all classes to get them. If it saves stuff for characters you don't choose next game then it will incentive people to max all 6 for a master file.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Maybe I asked here before. Is Xenoblade Chronicles 2 good? I'm thinking about getting XC revised or whatever it's called and then 2 if it's good.

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
I really enjoyed XC2 alot. There is a lot of good content in the game too, so I think its a good bang for your buck. XC1 is also like that, well over a hundred hours of content if you max it out

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
XC2 is pretty good, though I enjoyed the story and characters a bit more in XC1. But yeah you'd want to play XC1 first as there is a bit of a tie in with XC2(though it's not really needed to fully enjoy XC2). Really looking forward to the remaster myself, XC1 is easily a top 3 JRPG of the previous decade.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Personally I prefer Xenoblade Chronicles X to XC1 or XC2 because it's got a more open world free-roam design. Also mechs, like Xenogears. If I had to replay one of them it'd be XCX easily. It doesn't tie into the story of the others so you can jump into it without missing out on backstory.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
In actual JRPG news, Persona 5 Royal comes out on Tuesday and it's getting universal praise. Sounds like they fixed a ton of the piddly bullshit that I didn't love and added a bunch to the story and the flow of the game. I'm pretty excited and hope it lives up to the enormous hype.

GamingBolt - Pramath - 10 / 10

Taking a great game and making it even better, Persona 5 Royal is near perfect, and the definitive way of playing one of the greatest games ever made.
God is a Geek - Sean Smith - 10 / 10

For those that have already enjoyed the original game, this is a fan's dream, with everything you could wish for and more, with nearly every aspect improved upon. A spellbinding videogame, and one that deserves to be spoken about in reverential terms for many years to come.
RPG Site - Cullen Black - 10 / 10

Persona 5 Royal isn't just my favorite Atlus re-release, it might just be my new favorite Atlus game of all time.
Rice Digital - Zac Cocken - 5 / 5 stars

Persona 5 Royal is a great opportunity for a replay, it adds enough meat to the already full bones of Persona 5, and will give you an extra 30+ hours at least of main content
Screen Rant - Cody Gravelle - 5 / 5 stars

A golden example of how additional content can make a game feel brand new.
Slant Magazine - Justin Clark - 5 / 5 stars

The game speaks in specific and effective ways to the sheer exhaustion of living in perpetual strife.
Spaziogames - Gianluca Arena - Italian - 9.6 / 10

Persona 5 Royal is the best version of one of the best JRPGs of all time. And it adds subtitles support for many new languages. These should be reasons enough to go out and buy it ASAP.