JRPGs

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I find it hilarious that Atlus has ended up with a crew of literal RetardEra cultists as their localization team and even so the one review slagging the game with a score ~25 points lower than everyone else is some Korean dipshit who uses "they" pronouns.

That said, I'm not about to rebuy the game when those are the people Atlus decided to hire on. Even if the only thing they changed was the Ryuji vs. gay dudes stuff, fuck them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
They really need to release every JRPG on PC/Steam these days, its the weeb system of choice.

• 1Faggotry
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
FF14 and former EVE players know to stay away from Steam and with the way history repeats Steam will Blockbluster itself a couple decades down the road.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
FF14 and former EVE players know to stay away from Steam and with the way history repeats Steam will Blockbluster itself a couple decades down the road.
MMOs tend to be a very different beast and yeah Steam generally doesn't help(Path of Exile too due to their patching system for example), but that's quite the hot take to think that because a few games suck on Steam versus standalone, the whole thing is going to disapear. FFXIV isn't even bad the only reason people recommend to use the standalone is they have better sales on the expansions, so you save like 10-15$ every 2 years, the game otherwise works perfectly fine on Steam.

Vorph

Still NISA. :( Not that I really expected them to hand the series back to XSEED, but they should.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Persona 5 Royal is absolutely excellent. Up through the second palace now and it flows so much better, dialogue is still kind of cringe in parts but this is the most polished JRPG I think I've ever played. Wonderful game made even better and although I'd played the original, I'm having a killer time with this. If you like JRPG's, you're doing yourself a disservice not playing this.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Having a tedious time trying to max out my last 2 serums in Trials of Mana. Think the system pre-rolls a Common, Uncommon, Rare set of items for the next 10 seeds so you're reloading the save until you're confident that a batch doesn't have a serum and then moving on. Closing the game or rebooting the system won't change what's in the set it's simply rolling a % to see if you get the Uncommon or Rare (and higher Magic Pot levels increase the %). Before I started maxing them 1/5 having a serum was a good rate, even had a 4/10 once.

Only going to max those, get an extra 99 seeds and then they can bring on the FF7R release.

edit: needed 3 Stamina Serums as my last, they become quite rare when it's the last item left.

Last edited:

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Been playing this as a casual side game when I feel like something super chill and relaxed. It comes off a little on the simple side, but that can be a positive for some people, and I would recommend this if you have a kid that might like it. It immediately made me realize how spoiled I've been with voice over being in essentially everything these days.

Malakriss

Datamining of the Trials of Mana demo has happened, pastebins are floating around but it's all text strings for names and descriptions. Almost all the values and percentages are a num reference so incomplete info there.

Final post game boss has a time attack mode and awards extra ability for defeating on normal and hard mode in less than 60 seconds. Almost all other abilities appear to be story/boss completion regardless of difficulty.

Star Lancer ability list example:
1586144279785_starlancer.jpg

Last edited:

Vorph

Been playing this as a casual side game when I feel like something super chill and relaxed. It comes off a little on the simple side, but that can be a positive for some people, and I would recommend this if you have a kid that might like it. It immediately made me realize how spoiled I've been with voice over being in essentially everything these days.
Earthlock is usually on sale for $6 on Nintendo eShop, including right now. Also, the PC version is free this month on Twitch Prime if you have Amazon Prime, provided you don't mind using their shit instead of Steam to dl and play it.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I never got into the persona games despite buying a few of them in the past, but P5R is a shit load of fun so far about ~15 hours into it

I dont think i could ever play this kind of game without a guide though, fuck that shit. Extreme choice paralysis at every step lol

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Thinking of grabbing an RPG n my switch to kill time during the Rona, since I cant play FR7 remake, trying to decide between FFXII, xenoblade 2, dragonquest 11. Any suggestions

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
I don't think it's available for Switch yet, but does Wizardry now count as a JRPG?

Vorph

I have all 3 on Switch. I liked XC2 much more than DQ11; XC2 was actually fun to continue in NG+ (and Torna DLC) while DQ11 really drags in Act 2, and then gets even worse once you get to NG+/Postgame. FF XII is pretty divisive. Personally I think it's the best game in the series by a large margin, but others are turned off by the story being not so grand as other FFs or JRPGs in general, as well as the way Vaan is presented as the protagonist even though he (and Penelo) are really just tagalongs mostly irrelevant to the actual main characters.

Overall, I'd say XC2 is the safest bet. I didn't even like XC1 much (but loved XCX) and I would still strongly recommend it.

As far as ports go, DQ11 on Switch is by far the best version of the game and FF XII is top notch too.

Edit: I should probably mention that DQ11 was the first game in the series I've ever played. I really liked it at first, but stalled out early in Act 2 when I rented it for PS4, then bought it for Switch like 9 months later and finally beat the main ending. Still haven't been able to force myself to continue to the true end though.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Thinking of grabbing an RPG n my switch to kill time during the Rona, since I cant play FR7 remake, trying to decide between FFXII, xenoblade 2, dragonquest 11. Any suggestions

XC2. Hands down.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
FF12 is the best of those 3 to me. The remaster brought a bunch of changes that made it way better, mainly the fast forward and zodiac stuff. The music in it is great and there is so much side shit to do in it.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Played all three and I'd go XC2 or DQ11. Your enjoyment of XC2 depends on how well you can handle modern anime stuff imo, I know for some it can be a turn off. DQ11 is pretty solid and the Switch port has some really nice QOL features.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Anyone played this yet care to review for me?

I'm going through Trails of Cold Steel 2 atm, I finished the first one (amazing of course) and loving the 2nd so far but wont play the 3rd till I play something else. I love the Atelier series in general, but still want a review for anyone thats played this one.