JRPGs

joz123

Potato del Grande
Anyone played this yet care to review for me?

I'm going through Trails of Cold Steel 2 atm, I finished the first one (amazing of course) and loving the 2nd so far but wont play the 3rd till I play something else. I love the Atelier series in general, but still want a review for anyone thats played this one.
You should get Trails in the Sky 1 and 2 at least if you liked Trails of Cold Steel. Both are excellent also.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Honestly it's pretty recommended to have played every Trails game before you play CSIII. You can find fan translated versions of the Crossbell games on the high seas, I played through them last year with no issues.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Thinking of grabbing an RPG n my switch to kill time during the Rona, since I cant play FR7 remake, trying to decide between FFXII, xenoblade 2, dragonquest 11. Any suggestions
I am currently playing DQ11 on PS4 and it is very excellent. Havent tried X2 yet, thats most likely next for me. As for FF12, I am someone who played FF2, FF6, FF9 and FF10 multiple times and for many hours and I didnt bother finishing FF12. That is also in my log of shit to play but thats going to be last.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
When I saw that Cold Steel III was available for pre order on the switch, I immediately looked to see if the others were available, and sadly they are not. It would seem like a no-brainer for them to be ported. Maybe if CS III does well.

Last edited:

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
FF12 is the best of those 3 to me. The remaster brought a bunch of changes that made it way better, mainly the fast forward and zodiac stuff. The music in it is great and there is so much side shit to do in it.
Played all three and I'd go XC2 or DQ11. Your enjoyment of XC2 depends on how well you can handle modern anime stuff imo, I know for some it can be a turn off. DQ11 is pretty solid and the Switch port has some really nice QOL features.
Thanks
I never got to play Ff12 and it is on sale which is nice, been really wanting XC2 and I'm fine with modern Anime, I dont think I have ever seen it go on sale which is why I haven't played it yet, may just pick up both.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
On Atelier, they're kinda weird games. They're not bad, but they're not great either. Ryza got pretty good reviews though, it's the first of the "new series" so it has a bunch of changes compared to the previous series, but it's still kinda the same, the loop is pretty repetitive(go gather materials, some by combat but a lot just by gathering) then craft stuff with a minigame to complete sidequest-ish missions, in a very anime setting with very anime characters with a heavy theme on Cute Girls Doing Cute Things. It's definitely not for everyone as they're pretty low budget and the stories are often not very interesting either.

Not terrible game but I would pick one of the 3 mentionned before over an Atelier game easily. I liked DQ11 personally, but it was definitely too long for what it was, FFXII I haven't played since the original but I hear the Zodiac version is a lot better so I wouldn't mind replaying(I was "eh" on XII, not the best but not bad) as for XC2 can't tell at all since I don't own a Switch but it got pretty good reviews. Could look into Tales if you want more action combat too, Tales of Vesperia is a remake of an old one often considered one of the best, or Tales of Berseria is the last of the mainline which was pretty good imo.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Anyone know if the romancing saga remasters are any good? I have never played anything in that series but the sprites are very ff6ish. I just finished dragon quest 1,2, and 3 on switch and want to keep going but 4567 arent ported to switch yet. I really prefer 2d rpgs while playing handheld so romancing saga 2/3 and star ocean first departure are what is standing out right now, but don't want to drop 20 bucks if they aren't great.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I am currently playing DQ11 on PS4 and it is very excellent. Havent tried X2 yet, thats most likely next for me. As for FF12, I am someone who played FF2, FF6, FF9 and FF10 multiple times and for many hours and I didnt bother finishing FF12. That is also in my log of shit to play but thats going to be last.

Same, I’m about 50 hours in on PS4. It’s a fine game. I can see the dragging a bit complaints but it isn’t getting to me much, yet. It is a little samsey with the repetition of visiting town A, playing it out / rescuing it, go to town B, repeat, repeat. I’m also to the point where I can just about leave it on auto battle, even the bosses, and just afk. But some of those little side quests were actually pretty well done.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Same, I’m about 50 hours in on PS4. It’s a fine game. I can see the dragging a bit complaints but it isn’t getting to me much, yet. It is a little samsey with the repetition of visiting town A, playing it out / rescuing it, go to town B, repeat, repeat. I’m also to the point where I can just about leave it on auto battle, even the bosses, and just afk. But some of those little side quests were actually pretty well done.
I am around the same spot, 43-44 hours in. Just got the freedom to move around in Act 2 so I am doing the side quests. The non-linearity of this portion of the game makes it feel less polished than the first 30-40 hours but I am still greatly enjoying it.

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Grabbed FF12 since it was in sale for 29.99 and physical, I'll play through it and then pick up XC2 when it is back in stock and maybe on sale when XC remastered comes out.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
You are missing out

a6Oe4N2_460s.jpg

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
On Atelier, they're kinda weird games. They're not bad, but they're not great either. Ryza got pretty good reviews though, it's the first of the "new series" so it has a bunch of changes compared to the previous series, but it's still kinda the same, the loop is pretty repetitive(go gather materials, some by combat but a lot just by gathering) then craft stuff with a minigame to complete sidequest-ish missions, in a very anime setting with very anime characters with a heavy theme on Cute Girls Doing Cute Things. It's definitely not for everyone as they're pretty low budget and the stories are often not very interesting either.

Not terrible game but I would pick one of the 3 mentionned before over an Atelier game easily. I liked DQ11 personally, but it was definitely too long for what it was, FFXII I haven't played since the original but I hear the Zodiac version is a lot better so I wouldn't mind replaying(I was "eh" on XII, not the best but not bad) as for XC2 can't tell at all since I don't own a Switch but it got pretty good reviews. Could look into Tales if you want more action combat too, Tales of Vesperia is a remake of an old one often considered one of the best, or Tales of Berseria is the last of the mainline which was pretty good imo.

I should have prefaced that I've played a LOT of the Atelier games since Rorona. I recently played Atelier Lulua (57 hr playtime) and it didn't do it for me. It wasn't *bad*, and the crafting was fun but it seemed to be full of a lot of unnecessary bloat like still going by a calender, but it having no purpose as opposed to say Rorona or Totori.

I heard that Ryza is the "new formula" so to speak, so was hoping to get some ideas there. I'l probably try it anyway, though am finishing up trails 2 for now and then trails 3. Trails 4 is also already announced for steam, so we're getting them all <3

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'm surprised you like trails of cold steel after complaining about unnecessary bloat and a calendar system. The combat additions from Sky to Cold Steel were very nice. Everything else about Cold Steel kind of sucks. I couldn't make it through the first one.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I should have prefaced that I've played a LOT of the Atelier games since Rorona. I recently played Atelier Lulua (57 hr playtime) and it didn't do it for me. It wasn't *bad*, and the crafting was fun but it seemed to be full of a lot of unnecessary bloat like still going by a calender, but it having no purpose as opposed to say Rorona or Totori.

I heard that Ryza is the "new formula" so to speak, so was hoping to get some ideas there. I'l probably try it anyway, though am finishing up trails 2 for now and then trails 3. Trails 4 is also already announced for steam, so we're getting them all <3

Well in this case from what I've heard Ryza was pretty well received, although being the first in the new series there's some issues that probably will get fixed in the 2nd one and such. I personally only tried one Atelier and didn't like it, so I've been waiting for a deep sale to check Ryza out see if it's more to my tastes, but they don't discount a whole lot (KOEI TECMO is fucking trash for that) so not sure when that'll be, probably not before the next one release.

Anyway if you're not in a hurry, Trials of Mana releases at the end of next week and it looks really nice, I'm looking forward to playing that.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I'm surprised you like trails of cold steel after complaining about unnecessary bloat and a calendar system. The combat additions from Sky to Cold Steel were very nice. Everything else about Cold Steel kind of sucks. I couldn't make it through the first one.

My complaint on the calendar system on Atelier Lulua was that it existed, but didnt do anything other than affect when you could get certain crafting mats (dunkelheit) and some festival in november. In previous ones, like on Rorona, you had timelines to meet in order to keep your shop open. In trails, there's a calendar system too which is merely the setting of the timeline your actions don't affect it, so that's not really a system so much so as a visual indicator of what date it is in the story.

I didn't find much else bloat in cold steel actually. The battle is way better, and it seems a hell of a lot faster in battle too with turbo mode. I think trails in the sky has more strong characters, but I really love the ones in cold steel too. Rean is a great strong leader, the girls are not all flimsy and cute (except maybe elise), in fact Eliott is the pussy of the group.

I just finished up Ymir and getting S-rank in first chapter on cold steel 2. I hope to finish it this weekend and move onto 3. Trials of mana is going to be pimp, I agree, I can't wait for that.

Speaking of Mana, this is kinda silly, but I wanted to post it anyway.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Your actions definitely affect it, and if you decide to go to bed without exhausting every possibility you miss story elements, items, bonding events, etc. Cold Steel is a super "on rails" experience, which is what turned me off to it.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Biggest problem with Cold Steel is that NISA has their filthy hands on it now instead of XSEED.