JRPGs

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
So is the consensus DQ11 is amazing? My current to-do lineup is Zelda, octopath traveler, tales of vesperia. Thinking of adding DQ11, ff12, Chronicles of Mana.

Should DQ11 jump to front of the line?
I think it's great but I am a sucker for DQ.

joz123

Potato del Grande
I would get FF12 over DQ11. I liked DQ till you get to the point where you redo everything with stronger monsters, I tapped out at that point

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
No multiplayer on Trials of Mana? Why did they even bother remaking it then? Lame

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
DQ11 kinda dragged on too long, some parts were a bit boring too, although there was some good stuff in the later parts unlike say Bravely Default where once you start the filler shit it's really pretty fucking bad until the last cycle. I have 145hours on it on Steam, and while a fair bit of that was hunting achievements and shit at the end, it was still like 100+hours for the main story+postgame(which is pretty much part of the story too, so it isn't really postgame).

On Trials of Mana, played it a bunch, I will agree with some aspects mentionned by D Droigan but overall I'm having a good time. The english dub is absolute dogshit but that was no surprise since it was shit in the demo too, the japanese voice acting is mostly fine though(no name side NPCs tend to have pretty bad voice acting but all the main stuff is solid). I always play japanese games with japanese voice acting so doesn't really affect me. Dialogue/story is childish but that just follows the original, it's nothing groundbreaking, it's just your typical hero story.

Combat is a bit limited early on but opens up a fair bit once you start generating the bar stuff faster so you can get more specials in. Normal attacks are still a staple though, this is similar to Secret of Mana too where you mostly cast spells sporadically for burst damage on tougher enemies or to buff/debuff, and then mostly use weapon attacks. That's why even the casters do decent melee damage/can invest in STR.

That said I'm playing Angela as my main character and I can cast quite a lot of spells too, especially on trash mobs since I gain mp back for every kill so I can more or less cast one spell for every 2 trash mobs and break even, but can generally cast 1 spell per mob and reach a statue before I run out. Bosses there's no regen sources but with mp regen item I can cast quite a lot. The other characters don't really have spammable spells though I think, basically Angela is the only "true" caster, even Charlotte is still pretty hybrid.

And loading times I could see being terrible on PS4, since there's a lot of loadings and black screen transitions. On PC with a SSD though it's whatever, can't read most of the tips on the loading screens and black screen transitions are less than a second, so it hasn't bothered me at all. The main annoyance is cutscenes being disgusting 30FPS, but only the prerendered ones so it's not that bad.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Haven't played FF12 Zodiac Age in a few years and I loaded up my last save and I'm in the fucking Great Crystal. Forgot how much I hated that dungeon.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If you're playing trials of mana I found out something interesting with seeds. Your entire stack of 99 is rolled *when it dropped* and already has a determined common/uncommon/rare loot pool.

Either when you get your 3rd class unlocked or hit level 60 or a certain part of the story your silver/gold item seeds can drop the class specific weapons+armor. But if you saved up 90 of them and 1-85 dropped before you were eligible those are not retroactively updated. Only 86-90 would actually award the high end gear since it was determined when it dropped.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I would get FF12 over DQ11. I liked DQ till you get to the point where you redo everything with stronger monsters, I tapped out at that point
How about ff12 for switch? Are the graphics endearing or annoying?

Also have an Xbox one I rarely use. Really enjoy the switch most..

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
FF12 port is really good, even in handheld mode.

Plus it has the same enhancements that the Xbone version got, like being able to change jobs anytime and save multiple gambit setups. (Edit: Looks like PS4 and PC finally got that patch yesterday, too... SE really took their damn time on that one. Plus people are saying it completely breaks the Steam version of the game if you allow it to patch.)

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
How about ff12 for switch? Are the graphics endearing or annoying?

Also have an Xbox one I rarely use. Really enjoy the switch most..
Playing it on the switch now and enjoying it, graphics are no FfVIi remake or DQ11 but not too jarring, as good as you can expect from an older game on the switch.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Playing it on the switch now and enjoying it, graphics are no FfVIi remake or DQ11 but not too jarring, as good as you can expect from an older game on the switch.
That's fine. I like switch graphics. Give a nostalgic feel of being a kid when graphics weren't end all be all.

Thanks

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You can get an external SSD and just plug it in to the ps4 now for those with load time complaints. You just plug it in to the usb, it notices the external and asks if you want to format for the ps4. You say yes, then the UI lets you move games back and forth to the SSD or your ps drive. Whatever you play a lot keep on the SSD, move it back if you’re not.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Disappointment for collectors and maxers in Trials of Mana. Resetting your class resets your outfits and NG+ resets you to class 1 and removes class 4 items. Also serums from item seeds are 10 max forever, can't get a new set in NG+

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The baby talk business with Charlotte in the Trials of Mana demo is where I noped the fuck out.

Was looking for something to play after Ff7 remake but now I'm back to mindlessly wrecking stuff in Borderlands

• 1Salty

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
How is Tales of Berseria or Zestiria? I’ve played most others, except Poison? Thinking about hitting one of those up next. I did never finish Trails in the Sky and was only like a couple of hours in.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Berseria is pretty good, characters aren't annoying kids which is great. Stay away from Zestiria, it's regarded as one of the bad ones.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Berseria is pretty good, characters aren't annoying kids which is great. Stay away from Zestiria, it's regarded as one of the bad ones.
I know some people didn't like Berseria "brooding heroine" kind of thing and to some extent it was pretty boring how every other scene was her being all emo, but the game was definitely fun. Also has the best caster gameplay in an action jrpg I've played, the witch girl is insanely fun to play lategame, not so much early game mind you, need to get cast speed and whatever repeat thing she has later one, but once you have them around midgame she's just a treat. Once she started getting fun I basically stopped playing the main character and just played the caster.

And yeah Zestiria is meh from what I heard, didn't play it as a result. They're technically part of the same universe and there's some winks in Berseria, but not too much more, game takes place like 200years later or before or whatever it was so it's more world stuff(religions, past events and so on) than actually sequel.

Side note, finished Trials of Mana with postgame+secret boss, 25hours so it's pretty much on the short side, was pretty fun although difficulty is kinda all over the place, starts easy as shit, then spikes in difficulty around the midgame, then gets easier again. Postgame with my team setup was a joke, I fully expect it had to do with Angela being broken as fuck though. Postgame last challenge is fighting the last boss on hard in under 2mins, and I did it in a bit over a minute without any specific grinding(had to redo my passives stuff a bit though, first attempt was 2:10 before I went more glass cannon).

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I think I'm the only one that liked Zesteria. Some of the pieces of music are among the best in the entire tales series. It had some of the funniest battle quotes as well. Edna was a GREAT character. The gameplay itself was fine. The gigantic failing on Zesteria was the equipment system. That was fucking weird.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Zestiria had one of the worst stories and combat systems of any RPG I've ever played.

• 1Like