JRPGs

Caliane

Yeah that's were the talent of Japanese VA talent is. Alot of dubs I listen to just lack that emotion that trained voice actors from Japan have.
This is entirely incompetent direction. VA were clearly given lines, with no context, no direction. they dont have the animation in front of them, or anything. Just reading lines off a paper in a room. probably only THEIR lines and not even a full script, so dont even know how the lines are in relation to others. Suggesting, "talented skill Japanese vs stupid gaijin VA" is incredibly dumb.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Needless

Toe Sucker
I only got to play for like 40 minutes last night... yeah... those VA's on Rex are god awful. It's like the guy just speed reads his lines, theres no flow or emotion or anything to it lmao

Not game ruining but pretty laughably bad in some spots lol

Last edited:

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Watched some streams from Xenoblade 2. I want it now, but I don't want a switch. Every Nintendo console I've bought since the Wii has been for one game that I end up playing, then getting nothing else. WiiU I got for Xenoblade X too. Only games I've ever really played on that are the two Xenoblades (got the wii version), the persona like game and the most recent Zelda.

Are there any other exclusive switch RPGs now or planned?

3 announced 2 of which are TBA.

1) Project Octopath or whatever - Sometime supposedly in 2018
2) Shin Megami Tensei V - Who knows
3) An untitled Pokemon game - Who knows

Other than that, Metroid 4 in 2019.

2018 will most likely be a shit ton of ports you have already played.

With that said, I am right with you. I have watched streams, I like how it looks.... Wish I could rent a switch and play this game and then return it all. But I am not dropping 300 plus the game for something I know I will never use again until Metroid Prime 4.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
the one thing i like about the switch is the ability to just play a game and watch a show or something at the same time

"so the best thing about the switch is the ability to ignore it and do something else?" - utnayan

• 1Worf

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
This is entirely incompetent direction. VA were clearly given lines, with no context, no direction. they dont have the animation in front of them, or anything. Just reading lines off a paper in a room. probably only THEIR lines and not even a full script, so dont even know how the lines are in relation to others. Suggesting, "talented skill Japanese vs stupid gaijin VA" is incredibly dumb.

This may be but I'm consistently annoyed by bad dubs in ports of JRPGs, some are better than others but I usually cringe when the VA clearly is just not hitting the emotion the scene is trying to convey.

• 1Solidarity

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>

Considering they didn't localize the lip sync either means they did exactly this, to save a shit load of money, or were behind schedule.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Azure Revolution might have been a mediocre-yet-playable game had it not been billed as a Valkyria game, but compared to Valkyria Chronicles it's garbage. I still kind of doubt I would have finished it before sending it back to GameFly no matter what it was called though.

It's good to see that Sega got the message and went back to the main series for another sequel, assuming of course they put back the turn-based combat of the original.

------------------------------

Biggest disappointment of the week -- reading that Monolith wants to see XCX on the Switch, then realizing they weren't talking about a sequel, just another stupid port.

Also, I don't know how anyone can complain about the quality of XC2's voice work if they've ever said anything positive about XC's. Even the most annoying Nopon ain't got shit on Reyn.

He didn't like the first Xeno though and I did.
Yes, that's Jason "the darling of NeoGAF" Schreier. There's no point in reading a thing he has to say about any game.

• 1Like

Needless

Toe Sucker
If Utnayan had any credibility it went out the window by mentioning kotaku, rip sir. RIP

• 1Worf

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The best line in the Schreier review: "The English script, handled by Nintendo of Europe rather than Nintendo’s talented Treehouse group, is full of that kind of stilted, unnatural dialogue."

If Treehouse got their hands on XC2 the dialogue would be 80% memes and Pyra/most of the Blades would be wearing a burka.

• 1Worf

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Is there a Legend of Heroes bundle anywhere or am I gonna have to buy each game separately?

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
NoE handled the dubs for XC1 and those were fantastic (compared to most dubs at least).

I think they just assume most people are going to use the JP subs, since the JRPG demo usually clamors for subs to be included.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Played a few hours of XC2 and the cutscenes are insanely good; the chapter 1 ending was epic. Like that could have been the climax to a game or something. Haven't gotten far enough to really judge combat yet but doesn't really seem too different from previous stuff. So far it feels like if you enjoyed the first one you should like this one.

• 1Like

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
The game is great, I'm about 7 hours in and it's one of the better JRPGs I've played.

The dub got a bit better too which is good.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
It's nothing like XCX. It's a story driven JRPG, so it's pretty much a spiritual successor to XC1.

I actually get major Xenogears vibes from it too, which is cool because I haven't thought about that game in years.