Jupiter's Legacy

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
you don't see her much, so I hadn't noticed it really originally. But, rereading the comic. his mom is not white. so, while he really doesn't look like the comic character, I admit, there is some justification.

I really hated the pacing. And, I think s2 is going to have the same problem, possible worse. Cause they are going to do it again. jumping back to the rest of Jupiters circle, while now finally getting to the actual Jupiter's Legacy storyline. While as mentioned, basically ALL the current timeline stuff here, was filler. made of for the TV show.

I'm not sure what they are doing with Brandon.
They blended him and Jules I suppose. I don't really know why. So, we get Jules confidence, and capability. Even had brandon in the opening scene where it was Jules, in the comic. Thing is, we don't have that super needy, easily lead around Brandon now. its going to be more of an Evil superman brandon.
maybe cuz jules had 3panels in the comic, ha

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I had Walter pegged as evil from the start when he had a hard time shutting down the clone telepathically. It's always the brain guy who is evil, especially the agrieved brother who is never listened to with a pencil moustache.

I actually figured George was a homo until rod guy showed up. Shame there wasn't more of George, gotta love the good Anakin Skywalker.

Maybe it's addressed in the comic but Utopian seemed awfully non-challant about how many of the younger heroes were getting straight up murdered. Well that and it's kinda weird that they were all adults in 1930 but apparently didn't have kids until Sometime in the mid 90s.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

velk

Trakanon Raider
Haven't read any of the comics. Thought this one was pretty good, but obviously suffers due to proximity to Invincible.

Not just because Invincible is a lot better, but because it made it impossible for me to believe that any of the dysfunctional Jupiter mob had managed to avoid having a three digit body count from collateral damage in a year, let alone nine decades of superheroing.

This makes the speechifying and moralizing about the Code ring kind of hollow.

I agree the 1920 storyline was more interesting, but also had great atmosphere - particularly the confrontation with the guy with the flat tire. That was really well done I thought.

One thing that annoyed me a bit:
The eeeeevil *twirls moustache* plan was downright stupid. It also wasn't conveyed very well - were the psychic battles real ? If they weren't were they there solely for the audiences benefit ? Is the guy insane and psychic fighting himself fight-club style ?

Did he *really* almost get himself nuked just to make Brandon sullen at his dad ? In what way could that have seemed like a good idea ? ;p

Other minor annoyances :
Herp Derp, I can fly but jumping makes my punch stronger!

Let's try to stop this guy by prying open the anti-matter reactor - what could go wrong ?

Inside the cell = superpowers off, outside the cell = superpowers on, makes sense.

Jupiter is clearly the most cryptic motherfucker alive, visions of that farmer's house ? Why did the farmer recognize that ? Is he getting visions of his own house ? Has there been a constant parade of people coming to ask him why they are getting visions of his house ? How did get get off the island to go back to farming anyway ?

Horned helmets, sigh, on skeletons that are still standing upright, sigh.

Sheldon, why not just tell them the truth ? 'I got the coordinates from a guy who was shipwrecked here during the war, and I think there's treasure there', it's almost like you *want* people to think you are crazy for drama reasons.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Having read the comic synopsis now I am convinced they want to decompress the fuck out of this. Otherwise why cast the show as they did with much of the cast as age appropriate for the 1929 sequence.

Not sure if they do Gold, Silver, ane Bronze ages or not. Might just jump to the 50s for next season and then the 70s for the season after that.

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This was a good binge and had a sort of Watchmen meets Umbrella Academy vibe to it.

Goatface

season 2 has not been confirmed yet, Millar gave an interview talking about the rough plan for season 2+
present and future storylines, focusing on the third generation. superhero civil war

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
This isn't good, it's just kind of bland. I enjoyed the comics way more, but I think maybe I'm misremembering how good the story was or they just changed a bunch. The artwork from the comics remains amazing.

I don't remember anything in the comics about "the code" and it's fucking infantile and moronic. If you're Superman and you make a living out of punching people in the head, people are going to die. The guy in question had already killed several heroes and would have killed many more, and maybe loads of civilians. The idea that their purity rests on not killing this person is just the most retarded thing I have ever heard uttered on the planet Earth. And spoiler alert, it wasn't even a person, so what the fuck Utopian. Such a frustrating plotline and there is so much focus on it that it drags the show down. The code is bullshit and the writers should feel bad about that stupid shit. The comics focused way more on Walter and his idea that they should be taking a more active role in leadership, and that's a way better story.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
as far as I can tell the code is entirely a creation of the show. It seems silly.

only speculating, maybe they are doing it to make Walters side more sympathetic, by setting up a conflict where Sheldon's side is clearly wrong.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Was fairly excited for this, watched episode 1, and now I don't know if I'll ever watch any more. I didn't hate it, but it was just mediocre. And now reading that the code bullshit is entirely for the show makes me even less likely to continue.

I've started to notice that my Netflix recommendations are more and more becoming nothing but Japanese, Korean, etc. shows and cartoons as I thumbs down all the woke bullshit. I don't know enough about anime to say if it is all actually anime, but close enough I guess. Started watching God Eater instead of Jupiter's Legacy because GE3 has been on my Steam wishlist for a long time and I had no idea it was an actual show, and while it isn't amazing, the fact that the Russian girl fights in a tiny skirt and has tons of gratuitous underboob shots is a nice change from the woke bullshit on every newer "western" production. Granted, I didn't see a lot of woke in Jupiter's Legacy's first episode either, and an entire family of whites literally left me shaking(!!) but it just wasn't interesting enough for a first episode I felt. Do I start to care about the characters at any point later on? I like Josh Duhamel and Leslie Bibb well enough, but I honestly don't really care about their plight of raising kids that don't live up to their standards/expectations.

Cybsled

as far as I can tell the code is entirely a creation of the show. It seems silly.

only speculating, maybe they are doing it to make Walters side more sympathetic, by setting up a conflict where Sheldon's side is clearly wrong.

Probably this. Rigid orthodoxy vs something more flexible. In theory Sheldon’s code is nice, but like they point out, it isn’t keeping pace with reality.

The code in the show does make a division more realistic

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This isn't good, it's just kind of bland. I enjoyed the comics way more, but I think maybe I'm misremembering how good the story was or they just changed a bunch. The artwork from the comics remains amazing.

I don't remember anything in the comics about "the code" and it's fucking infantile and moronic. If you're Superman and you make a living out of punching people in the head, people are going to die. The guy in question had already killed several heroes and would have killed many more, and maybe loads of civilians. The idea that their purity rests on not killing this person is just the most retarded thing I have ever heard uttered on the planet Earth. And spoiler alert, it wasn't even a person, so what the fuck Utopian. Such a frustrating plotline and there is so much focus on it that it drags the show down. The code is bullshit and the writers should feel bad about that stupid shit. The comics focused way more on Walter and his idea that they should be taking a more active role in leadership, and that's a way better story.
Its netflix. They pad and drag. The 1930s shit was perfect and the code was just a shorthand way of conveying Sheldon as being the overly optimistic good guy. Clearly they are setting up Walter to do his thing. I am just amazed that there was basically zero wokeness in this, given the platform. They had black guys complaining about racism, but yeah its the 1930s and none of them were infantilized by it. Not everyone has Disney's deep pockets for the MB Xplozhuns week in and week out.

Also, loved the small part they gave Kurtwood smith, who really knocked it out of the park.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm not hating it like alof of people but the code shit is driving me nuts

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Whoever did costumes and sets for the 1929 segments deserves some kind of serious industry award.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Think George was my favorite character easily. Walter was pretty good to though

• 1Solidarity

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That's because all superheroes with boy scout codes are insufferable
I dont necessarily have a problem with the concept of a boyscout code. But the circumstances they picked are just nonsensical and everyone is just going along with it as if it makes any sense at all and they won't stop bringing it up.

The vibe from the comics was much more about how much freedom we have in a world where superheroes exist. Even ones like the Utopian who have this surface veneer of freedom and equality etc but in reality put themselves outside any law and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Superman was always the same. I always liked that scene in Man of Steel where he allows himself to be handcuffed as a symbolic gesture, even though they had virtually no power to actually enforce his captivity.

• 1Solidarity

Kanglor

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah Sheldon is basically Ned Stark, he's willing to go down in flames doing what he thinks is 'right.' Hell the old villain playing psychologist pretty much told him The Code shit was delusional. Even as silly as it is, guess it's plausible that it held up so long cause Sheldon was the most powerful and influential hero for a long ass time. Also seems like most of the threats weren't nearly as bad, or at least consistently bad as the last few years...so could see them just going along to not rock the boat.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Still wondering how the world goes from some alien cloud/Zordon giving 6 'twenty somethings with attitude' super powers to having a whole plethora of super beings running around including, apparently, wizards. Then again we don't have a real hard fix on how many powered people there are. It seemed to vary wildly between powers being common enough that a team of people with them were still just petty thieves to the idea that blackstar killing off 3 of the 'Teen Titans' was a big big deal and that by the end there were only a handful of Union members (Utopian, Brainwave, Lady Liberty, Paragon and Flare 2 with crippled OG Flare on the bench) left.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Finished this last night. It's.... fine.

One of those rare shows where the flashbacks were more interesting than present day.

The fight scenes are... bad. "The Code" is annoying. And as said above the power levels make no sense. But the world is interesting enough to make it watchable.