Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's not what I'm talking about. If their primary interest was in the wider applications of the genetic engineering technology that InGen developed, why did they specifically want viable embryos? Their interest (in the movie at least) is very clearly in competing with InGen over dinosaur cloning. That's why I was asking if the BioSyn guy said anything about the wider applications in the book. I do now vaguely recall some kind of board meeting at BioSyn in the book, but I don't remember if they said anything about genetic engineering itself, or if it was specifically focused on the dinosaurs.

Jimmycarterwuwu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Please, breed 300 raptors for 1 small scale mission like Vietnam, with remote bomb detection capabilities after job is done and sensors that prevent the Dino from crossing onto allied sides. That’s success.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Agreeing with the theory that tech > dinosaurs for military applications. Man is the greatest predator out planet has seen. While cheap to make, the time factor is the problem. Combat dogs infinitely cheaper to produce than dinosaurs and can be used for searches with their noses. Tech in its varied forms will be the replacement for man on the battlefield.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Saw this the other day, it was whatevs. I like that they tried to call the female lead out on basically being a shitty person in the last one, thought that shit was funny, even if it never was resolved it just was a throwaway line. Same with calling out Chris Pratt's character. The movie itself was 5 or 6/10 at best, I mean your basic dinosaur bs, only all the villains were absolutely terrible (as in, somehow worse than Bryce Dallas Howard).

Fucking stupid how the Blue raptor has survived two separate fights with genetically superior "monster" dinos, somehow, someway. I don't see how they do any more movies at this point.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I like that they tried to call the female lead out on basically being a shitty person in the last one

Except they flubbed it just like everything else in the movie. I mean yeah I've said before that she's the actual villain of Jurassic World, but as callous as she appears she does have a duty to keep the park in business, and she's not a sociopath or she wouldn't have taken such serious personal risks to save her nephews. She also spends however many years between the two movies doing some sort of charity work, although god knows what that charity actually does.

The movie is so fucking stupid though. The Mosasaurus lagoon is CLEARLY not connected to the ocean in the first movie, why the fuck would they only send a small handful of retards to try and collect the Drex tooth, why would those retards think everything on the Island is dead? WHY THE FUCK HAS NOBODY TRIED TO STEAL A DINOSAUR FROM THIS CLEARLY UNGUARDED ISLAND AT ANY POINT IN THE LAST THREE YEARS? The 'control system' for Yellow clearly has nothing to do with Blue, so why the fuck do they need Blue or Chris Pratt's character in the first place?

Oh right because if it weren't for Blue requiring them to return to Isla Nublar, they WOULDN'T HAVE TO DO SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE BECAUSE ISLA SORNA STILL EXISTS.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

Except they flubbed it just like everything else in the movie.

Yeah like I said, it ended up literally a throwaway line because all they do is say it, and never follow up b/c some other thing happens forcing the usual "oh shit need to run" which is most of the movie.

I'm glad they retconned Mosasaurus lagoon being connected, I just wish we could have seen it eat more people.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm glad they retconned Mosasaurus lagoon being connected

Why? That was quite possibly the dumbest fucking change they did, particularly because the Mosasaur's escape was so completely irrelevant. The Mosasaur lagoon is nowhere near the ocean in Jurassic World (as much as you can say that about any place on a relatively small island), so it's not like it was just mildly fudging a detail. It would honestly be at least somewhat forgivable if it was a major plot point the movie turned on, but the whole scene served no purpose beyond getting a chance to show the Mosasaur again and kill some people off. I don't even remember whatever stupid fucking rationale there was for Wu specifically needing a physical piece of the dead Drex but I assume it was every bit as pointless and irrelevant as them somehow needing Blue for Indoraptor control development despite her relationship with Pratt having absolutely nothing to do with that stupid fucking laser pointer control system.

It's like how can we show off the Mosasaur and kill everyone off while still getting the Drex sample out? Oh yeah let's stuff the sample in an external floatation device for absolutely no reason (except that the writers know that the submersible is gonna get eaten) and have the people on this mission inexplicably think that everything on the island is dead despite having no reason to think that and being sent there by people who specifically know that everything on the Island is still alive. And why the fuck is that stupid goddamn remote door function on that PDA an ongoing process? Why the fuck wouldn't it just be a binary open/close signal? Why the fuck is the door programmed to need an ongoing command to keep closing in order to keep closing? Who the fuck programs a door like that?

• 1Worf

Merrith

Shit my bad you're like serious into it. I was disappointed all we got was the submersible getting gulped and not even a real shot of it, then the teaser at the end of the movie chasing the surfers.

Literally just wanted to see Mosa eat some more people. Could care less about continuity of whether the lagoon was connected to the Ocean in JW1. It's JW. Brain was already off going into it.

Agreed all the hoops needed for "final version" super raptor was dumb.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Shit my bad you're like serious into it.

I've actually watched that almost hour long review where the dude spends the entire time utterly vivisecting the movie and it really stuck with me. Didn't plan on watching the entire thing but it just sucked me in.

• 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Finally got around to seeing this today:

Oh. My. God. What a steaming pile of shit. It somehow managed to be hokier than the first JW.

Super predictable the whole way through and I never saw a single trailer.

John Hammond's partner that was never mentioned before and has an identical amber tipped cane, because we need the Hammond character and Sir Richard Attenborough died 4 years ago.

The minute you see Wheatley, he gives off this vibe like "gee, I wonder if this is the bad guy who is going to betray them."

That's some of the coldest hot lava I've ever seen.

Hey, wait, did Blue shed a tear?

Starting on an island, but bringing dinos back to civilization; so apparently this is a soft reboot of Lost World.

Seriously, you're going to to go inside the cage with the Indoraptor, just to get some teeth?

Hey, wait, did the fucking Indo smile?

All the rooms in the house, and the Indo just randomly picks the room with the little girl in it to crawl into from the roof.

Good god: the choral music and lightning storm battle cliche.

An engineered super dinosaur taken out by a regular dinosaur? Already, we're recycling the end of JW1.

OMG, 20 something dinosaurs escaped into the wild, they're going to destroy the world?

I will give credit where it's due though:

Chris Pratt is great as always. Him and Howard have good chemistry. Seriously, I would rather have had a film without dinosaurs where Pratt and Howard argue about their breakup and eventually get back together and build a cabin.

I actually liked the secret that Maisie was a human clone. It answers the question why has the dino cloning tech never been used in other applications. But, it never went much further than that.

Overall, if Jurassic World burned down the legacy of Jurassic Park, Fallen Kingdom pisses on the ashes.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Dude. Taking what is obviously a cheesy dino flick waaaay too fucking seriously. Yeah, we all thought this same shit watching the movie but like...that's kinna what I expect at this point. I'd like the first JP feeling again, but even that film was cheesy as fuck. If anything, JW2 was so derivative of the first with the looking through windows, shaking ground, the kitchen scene of closing the window, chasing a car, "Run!", they nearly replicated every single classic scene including shit from the first JW. It was the opposite of original. But fuck it. Rawr dinosaurs.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Needs to be reposted. I don't expect anyone to sit through an entire 50+ minute movie review, but you should at least skim a few parts of it. He tears basically every single part of the movie to shreds, absolutely vicious and probably a more entertaining watch than the movie itself.

Jesus I lost a few IQ points just watching that break down.

How do you people watch this garbage?

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Dude. Taking what is obviously a cheesy dino flick waaaay too fucking seriously. Yeah, we all thought this same shit watching the movie but like...that's kinna what I expect at this point. I'd like the first JP feeling again, but even that film was cheesy as fuck. If anything, JW2 was so derivative of the first with the looking through windows, shaking ground, the kitchen scene of closing the window, chasing a car, "Run!", they nearly replicated every single classic scene including shit from the first JW. It was the opposite of original. But fuck it. Rawr dinosaurs.

the first movie was about parenthood. it wasn't about dinosaurs. there's a reason why the first movie was a classic and it was because there was a REASON for us as the audience to be invested. you absolutely can recapture that JP feeling again and it's not about MORE DINOSAURS YAY.

logan is a perfect example of using pop culture to tell an emotional story that has WEIGHT and is RELATABLE. outside of JP, no jurassic movie has cared about telling any kind of story.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
"I recognize this, it's unix!"

yes, there's plenty of stupid cheese in JP, but unlike JW, those moments don't define the story. if the story is coherent, and it evokes emotional relevancy, people can look past all kinds of plot holes and nonsense.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
im 53 minutes into this. what a giant piece of shit. 75 more minutes to go

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
im 53 minutes into this. what a giant piece of shit. 75 more minutes to go
took me over 3 hours to watch this today. its fucking retarded in so many ways. little girl escapes dino in dumbwaiter shaft. climbs out of it and into bed next to glass doors and balcony. i mean little girls get scared and shit, but at least hide under the fucking bed where 99% of all kids hide when they're scared.