Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018)

Rime

<Donor>
I thoroughly enjoyed it. I did not go in expecting Citizen Kane. I went in expecting dinosaurs, chaos, and people running.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I thoroughly enjoyed it. I did not go in expecting Citizen Kane. I went in expecting dinosaurs, chaos, and people running.
Pretty much my expectations. Slated to see it Friday. I know what I'm in for. I went to Jurassic Park 2's opening show in a limo with friends on the last day of my junior year. It pretty much summed up that year of high school. Pretty sure I'll get more enjoyment out of this one, even with low expectations.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Air and Space Smithsonian has Blue completely built with LEGOs today.

View attachment 168706
Wow, that's very impressive. I wonder how many bricks were used? Think they'll release the set later on?

Anyway, I just got home from seeing this. It was acceptable. Lots of dinos. Lots of death. The final fight was pretty weak, but heavily telegraphed prior to it actually happening. I enjoyed it for what it's worth, but it was still very stupid. The big bad being like a cat burgler was stupid.
The idea of Jurassic World: Vegas sounds cool, but it would be VERY short lived. Every dino they rescued was pretty much a 1-off. There were a few pterodactyls and a baby triceratops, but everything else was solo. As a result, they could never reproduce. So after maybe 10 years total (if uninterrupted by humans) they would be extinct again. But realistically, so many people have guns, if a dino showed up, they'd be killed damn fast.

Last edited:

Rime

<Donor>
In regards to the next film...

One of two ways the sequel will go...
1) Every tinpot dictator and super power is making their own crazy-arse dinosaurs all over the world. I do not really care for this version, but it is the most likely one.

2) Parthenogenesis. Some amphibians, reptiles, and even birds can reproduce asexually. They can even have 'virgin births'. Given that the dinosaurs are genetic hodgepodges, it is possible that they could develop in this fashion and start reproducing. You would not have multiple T-Rexes, as they are rather easy to track and would be killed/contained quickly. But Blue is intelligent. And there were many compys that got loose.

Sterling

El Presidente
Movie wasn't particularly good, but it's what you should probably expect from something like this. Reasonably entertaining and had some fun moments so hard to complain too much.

drazon

Lord Nagafen Raider
I tend to agree exactly what Sterling said. I kind of wish they would just break away from the whole Jurassic Park, Jurrasic World story. There really isn't any good dinosaur movies. You would think there would be more competition out there.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I enjoyed this. It was a stereotypical popcorn flick that you can just turn your brain off and enjoy. The special effects were great and Chris Pratt was fun and goofy like always.

I would like the next one to focus on living in a world where wild dinosaurs are a fact of life. Like, if you go hiking in the woods, you have to be careful of wild raptors instead of bears and mountain lions.

The girl being a clone was also stupid. The only reason they did that was so they could have someone let the dinosaurs free without seeming like a complete and utter asshole. I mean, any one who hit that button was basically irreparably damaging the world by releasing creatures into it that have no business being there. The little girl was the only one who the audience MIGHT be able to give a pass because a) she's a dumb kid and b) she's a clone "like them."

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
In no way would humanity ever "co-exist" with dinosaur level predators roaming freely. "Oh Billy got eaten last week, be careful during recess kids!"

A World War Z level wall would be built in record time.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wow, that's very impressive. I wonder how many bricks were used? Think they'll release the set later on?

Anyway, I just got home from seeing this. It was acceptable. Lots of dinos. Lots of death. The final fight was pretty weak, but heavily telegraphed prior to it actually happening. I enjoyed it for what it's worth, but it was still very stupid. The big bad being like a cat burgler was stupid.
The idea of Jurassic World: Vegas sounds cool, but it would be VERY short lived. Every dino they rescued was pretty much a 1-off. There were a few pterodactyls and a baby triceratops, but everything else was solo. As a result, they could never reproduce. So after maybe 10 years total (if uninterrupted by humans) they would be extinct again. But realistically, so many people have guns, if a dino showed up, they'd be killed damn fast.

Once they die harvest the DNA. Clearly the tech there has come along far enough if you have fresh DNA samples brewing up as many of them as you want seems pretty doable. It isn't so much that dinosaurs themselves are loose that is the issue it is that now that they are not contained anybody and everybody who wants to can now get ahold of their genetic materials and make their own. This is one of the funny things about the whole premise of this is omg the dinosaurs will go extinct again. Um no clearly the people who made them in the first place can go make them again this time it is easier because they have full intact DNA samples now so they don't have to kludge them together to make them work like they did when working from the samples in amber.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
In no way would humanity ever "co-exist" with dinosaur level predators roaming freely. "Oh Billy got eaten last week, be careful during recess kids!"

A World War Z level wall would be built in record time.

As scary as something like a T rex is all it is to modern weapons is a big target. Overall the usefulness in military applications of any of the big dinos is basically nothing. They are just big targets to actual non rental cop military forces. Raptors would be potentially dangerous though if you could breed enough. Small enough to hide and fast enough to be hard targets. The big ones are just to huge and slow to be anything other than a localized terror weapon on civilian or militia type targets.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
As scary as something like a T rex is all it is to modern weapons is a big target. Overall the usefulness in military applications of any of the big dinos is basically nothing. They are just big targets to actual non rental cop military forces. Raptors would be potentially dangerous though if you could breed enough. Small enough to hide and fast enough to be hard targets. The big ones are just to huge and slow to be anything other than a localized terror weapon on civilian or militia type targets.
So you're saying that a T-Rex would wreck shit in the UK? Sounds about right, gun fearing pussies.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Once they die harvest the DNA. Clearly the tech there has come along far enough if you have fresh DNA samples brewing up as many of them as you want seems pretty doable. It isn't so much that dinosaurs themselves are loose that is the issue it is that now that they are not contained anybody and everybody who wants to can now get ahold of their genetic materials and make their own. This is one of the funny things about the whole premise of this is omg the dinosaurs will go extinct again. Um no clearly the people who made them in the first place can go make them again this time it is easier because they have full intact DNA samples now so they don't have to kludge them together to make them work like they did when working from the samples in amber.

Did they say specifically in the movie that they were saving them to preserve their species, or because they're humanitarian whackos and wanted to save them just because? I hope if I was in danger, or my dog, you wouldn't not save me because you couldn't save my wife or another dog for it to breed with, or something.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The only really terrifying dinosaur would be a flock of pterosaurs, or the mesosaurus. As if I had enough reason not to get into the ocean already.

• 1Like

Angerz

Trakanon Raider

BD Wong's character sort of referenced this when they were auctioning the Indoraptor.

Bad Guy: "Don't worry, we will make more"

BD: "So will they". And the geneticist knew that the current Indo they auctioned did not have any of the Blue safeguards they wanted to breed into it.

A more sinister and direct connection to Goldblum's overt "cat's out of the bag on genetic fuckery" speech.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
So you're saying that a T-Rex would wreck shit in the UK? Sounds about right, gun fearing pussies.
Any civilian area would get terrorized by something like that but never underestimate how good humans are at killing things. There is a reason very few large land predators still exist in any number.

Rime

<Donor>
Still no idea why dinosaurs are the big ticket when they can clone humans.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Still no idea why dinosaurs are the big ticket when they can clone humans.
That was the pitch for one of the films. A hybrid human/dino. At this level of technology, superhumans and all diseases would no longer be a thing. But then again, it's just a movie.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The idea of using dinosaurs as military assets is seriously one of the dumbest fucking ideas they've ever had with this franchise. Leaving aside all the fucking evidence that it clearly doesn't fucking work (the raptors tried to kill him when he rescued that feeder, during the hunt for the D-Rex they instantly turned and started killing all the humans as soon as something unexpected happened), look at how fucking much these things cost to breed, raise, and maintain, then consider that Blue almost died to a single shot from a fucking handgun.

Funnily enough, in the original book Muldoon mentions that it's actually incredibly difficult to kill a raptor with gunfire due to a de-centralized nervous system and being almost all muscle or something to that effect. Talking about straight up shrugging off hits from a shotgun. But I guess the later models are more fragile if a single 9mm almost sealed the deal with Blue.

• 1Like

Rime

<Donor>
Yeah. The idea of using dinosaurs for any sort of combat situation is stupid, when you think about how combat has evolved. Sure, maybe a Compy might work, if you can strap a grenade to them and control them somehow, if it were not for drones.

Big issue is that making human clones/gene editing out diseases from embryos/etc would make so much more money than an island of dinosaurs.