Justice League (2017)

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
501c52288df5e61d3be4d8b589026e94.jpg

I'll take a whole series of movies in that style please.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
No 'Dark Knight' or 'Wonder Woman': 'Justice League' Is a 'Frankenstein'

After the disappointment of “Batman v Superman,” the individual with deep knowledge of Warner Bros. said studio executives repeatedly went to Silverman to suggest removing Snyder from “Justice League.” The individual said DC President Jon Berg was sent to the set for the better part of a year to oversee the production out of budget concerns.

Final budget: $300 million

Good job Jon ...

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
$560M and fading fast. Might not even make it to $600M

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures

Yeah really.

It's hard to know exactly where the dividing line of blame actually falls because DC isn't exactly a standalone entity in the same way Marvel is but it's had some level of autonomy within WB up to now but probably not a lot. If the traditional critiques of studio meddling and too many cooks in the kitchen is indeed part of the problem (and it seems to be) then I'm not sure how more fully integrating the DC operations into the parent studio is supposed to be a solution. Having meetings take place in a different building on the WB lot isn't a fix.

Whoever decided to fast track setting up the shared universe. Whoever decided to make Zack Snyder it's architect and stick with him after it was clear he was dividing audiences for and against what they were trying to achieve. Whoever decided Nolan's Batman trilogy should be the lens through which all of DC's comic book properties should be viewed. Whoever decided they were going to do things differently than Marvel at every possible turn without actually understanding the traditional differences between Marvel's and DC's characters. Whoever was involved in any of that shit would be who I would blame. I suspect some of it falls in both camps but the lion's share would probably land on the stairs up at the big house.

Last edited:

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Finally saw this. Some of the reviews seem ... overly critical? Was better than any other DC movie save Wonder Woman or Watchmen. Thin plot and uneven but still entertaining.

Some genuine comedy bits. The Flash-Superman interactions were awesome in the same way that the "can Hulk lift Thor's hammer" moments were in Avengers. Also the Aquaman-lasso bit.

Flash needs his own movie.

• 1Picard
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
Zack Snyder's only good movies were graphic novel adaptations and the George Romero/James Gunn scripted Dawn of the Dead. Watchmen is about the closest to a perfect comic adaptation as you can get, even with the changed ending which was for the better IMO.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Watchmen was pretty good adaption but the few scenes that were truly great kind of showed how much better it still could get. The ending rewrite is somewhat immaterial although I think the one in the comic is more likely to potentially realize Ozy's idea, just based on humanity. The only movie of Snyder's I'll probably ever re-watch is the original 300. I just looked up his credits on IMDB and it's shockingly bad-to-mediocre - not entirely sure where he got all this pull from.

I saw this like a couple weeks ago but pretty sure I avoided giving them ticket money since it was an Alamo free birthday ticket. It was... not the worst thing I've ever seen, to be sure. But it was just all over the place and both slow and too fast at the same time. I still like Batfleck and think he had the best characterization in the whole movie, Flash was OK because he was funny but they made him seem way weaker and less useful than the others. I get what they were trying to do with Aquaman but again, too all over the place. WW was even a bit scattered here and she had a whole damn movie recently to build on.

Also, all the heroes seemed to be along the lines of the MCU in scaling down their powers from the comics, except for Superman, who was just fucking Superman and honestly boring. The level of power they showed him having in JL is pretty far above MoS or BvS and makes the rest of the JL look like bystanders. At least in MCU the power equalization is relatively... equal.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
This scene right here, however, was by far my favorite of the entire movie. As most of you will remember, I'm the resident Superman-enabler, so seeing Superman pretty much beat the everloving shit out of the rest of the JL at the same time, including the eye roll, was just awesome. (Flash's "I just shit my pants" expression was great too.) Terrible in terms of the movie and making everyone else irrelevant when he literally came in quipping, "Is this guy bothering you?" (such a shitty line) and then pretty much beats the fuck out of Steppenwolf all by himself, but hey, since I was already hating the whole fucking movie, I'll take one good gratuitous scene even. It isn't like that was the only thing wrong with it, and if they had only fixed that we'd have another masterpiece or something.

I do still think the casting for Superman is solid, because as mentioned at the end when he's more light-hearted he's just fine. Cavill literally looks like Superman to me, and if they let him be happy and optimistic for an entire fucking movie, I think more people would agree with me. However...I'd pay good fucking money for the first showing at IMAX for an Injustice movie that was mostly Superman/Cavill just murdering the fuck out of heroes people think are his equal. And then raping Wonder Woman repeatedly. Now THAT is a grimdark DC movie I'd gladly pay to see.

The "Do you bleed?" throwback line was pretty good too, and I daresay the bat shorts needed to be changed after that one.
Totally agree. Cavill is a great Superman, I don't blame him. I blame these dodgy directors that don't know what the fuck they're doing.

• 3Solidarity

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I just saw this with the wife and kids last night.

I didn't hate it but the list of just stupid things in it could fill page. Just right off the bat a janitor nightly mopping industrial grating ....

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Movie wasn't bad. A little better than I expected and almost as good as I hoped for. In the current DC Cinematic universe, this is clearly #2 behind wonder woman. I'd say batman was the weakest link by far. I generally like batman, but this one fucking sucks.