Justice League (2017)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Yup, it's pretty damn sad because I subjectively think the DC heroes are more interesting the Marvel heroes. (Though I too love old Spider-man and X-men).

Cartoons and comics have portrayed Superman so much better than the movies have.

Superman vs the Elite is one of the best movies I've seen. It shows perfectly how flawed a perfect super hero can be, and I'm so disappointed they never add an interesting villain for Superman to fight in the live action movies.

Really? Superman vs The Elite is the go to example? Isn't that the one where he pulls a Batman and used Superman robots? Not my favorite, but it's not anywhere near as bad as the Doomsday animated film. All Star Superman is probably my favorite. Especially when Lex gains Superman's clairvoyance and suddenly understands his level of responsibility. Of course it's a Geoff Johns story, and wasn't changed much between the comic to the animated version (like they've been doing with Batman).

Shit, if they'd actually played Doomsday out like it is in the comics, shown him to be an experiment gone incredibly bad, and is literally unstoppable, that he had to be sent to the end of time in order to stop him, as ridiculous as that is, it works better than what they did with the Zod-hybrid. And the grave robbing was dumb. Should have had him in an above ground, stone coffer. It's way less awkward.

Steppenwolf is a filler character, with no real history to the core of DC. Shit, Mongel would have worked, but is probably a bit redundant to Darkseid. If we do get a Darkseid movie, I hope it's handled in a way much like the comic. Supes is conflicted about allowing him to return and rule his planet, but knows the millions there would suffer a worse fate without Darkseid's rule. A huge part that's missing from these movies, minus Zod, has been the complexity of the villains. They did a try-hard job with Steppenwolf and boxes and domination and conflict with the various peoples, but it was washed over in a couple amazing looking scenes with no actual weight, and then he himself looked like a plastic model designed in the Unreal Engine 3. Something I'd expect to see in TERA.

The only thing that really annoyed me was how much of a bitch they made Batman. Poor CGI can be overlooked if the characters work and play out as expected.

I really hope the release a director's cut, it made BvS tolerable.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I think Superman Vs the elite is a fantastic superman story and a great animated film. It has a strong script, especially supermans part, and shows that you don't need to make the villains as powerful as superman in order to challenge him. It shows (like many superman stories do) that no matter what adversity he's against, he will rise above it as a beacon.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Yup, it's pretty damn sad because I subjectively think the DC heroes are more interesting the Marvel heroes. (Though I too love old Spider-man and X-men).

Cartoons and comics have portrayed Superman so much better than the movies have.

Superman vs the Elite is one of the best movies I've seen. It shows perfectly how flawed a perfect super hero can be, and I'm so disappointed they never add an interesting villain for Superman to fight in the live action movies.
The Problem with Superman is that he can do everyones job... better, yea he's basically the Asian on the team... i mean he is an illegal alien
colorlines-screenshot-new-super-man-1-now-071316.png

oh, roboman can't push 2 boxes apart? i'll do it
oh, civis can't be pushed out of the way fast enough? i'll do it
oh, bad guy is beating everyone up? i'll punch him harder

what he won't do, b/c it's beneath him is be a fucking enchanter and do crowd control or off tank the adds like Batman.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I think Superman Vs the elite is a fantastic superman story and a great animated film. It has a strong script, especially supermans part, and shows that you don't need to make the villains as powerful as superman in order to challenge him. It shows (like many superman stories do) that no matter what adversity he's against, he will rise above it as a beacon.

The whole not killing no matter what still makes no sense considering millions of innocents have died at this point because of his refusal to kill a few evils.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Fuck.. I downloaded this, and have watched it twice again. .... I changed my mind. It's good, and I really, really like it now. Fuck... I was disappointed when I watched it, but now I enjoy it. Just like BvS. I love the team of characters, they're all good, and I would enjoy seeing them together in so many more movies.

Edit: Please don't picard or barf rate me :) There's something about the DC world, where it's just grim and kinda in despair that I like. It reminds me (not surprisingly) of the watchmen. (yes I know..)

• 3Picard
Reactions: 2 users

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I
Fuck.. I downloaded this, and have watched it twice again. .... I changed my mind. It's good, and I really, really like it now. Fuck... I was disappointed when I watched it, but now I enjoy it. Just like BvS. I love the team of characters, they're all good, and I would enjoy seeing them together in so many more movies.

Edit: Please don't picard or barf rate me :) There's something about the DC world, where it's just grim and kinda in despair that I like. It reminds me (not surprisingly) of the watchmen. (yes I know..)
I like BvS. But JL ...is so fucking awful

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I finally got around to watching this.

I went in with very low expectation, and it met them...what a bad movie.

So much potential wasted.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

So, what you're saying is; if someone's eaten a raw squid covered in baby vomit and SJW turds and doesn't like it, they need to eat that same meal 2 or 3 more times to convince themselves they DO like it?

• 1Worf

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If you get lied to enough sometimes your brain gets tricked into believing it and then you start vomiting the alien corruption pus onto others as well.

• 1Worf

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
So, what you're saying is; if someone's eaten a raw squid covered in baby vomit and SJW turds and doesn't like it, they need to eat that same meal 2 or 3 more times to convince themselves they DO like it?

LMAO yes.

BUT!!! Doesn't sex not feel great the first time for a girl, but eventually they love it??

Caliane

The whole not killing no matter what still makes no sense considering millions of innocents have died at this point because of his refusal to kill a few evils.
yeah, the main issue with "no killing" is no time is actually ever spent on rehabilitation, giving aid to the reason the villain did their thing, solving the problem that lead to the villain.
instead just send them to Arkham or phantom zone, and wait for them to come back and kill some more.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
it still amazes me how anyone thought khal drogo would make a good aquaman, then when he looked shitty, they turned him into aquabro.

aside from charles dance, every GOT actor sucks, outside of GOT

• 4Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
yeah, the main issue with "no killing" is no time is actually ever spent on rehabilitation, giving aid to the reason the villain did their thing, solving the problem that lead to the villain.
instead just send them to Arkham or phantom zone, and wait for them to come back and kill some more.
they've only rehab'd catwoman/harley and poison ivy, but only cuz they needed to be good/chaotic evil for gotham sirens.

Caliane

they've only rehab'd catwoman/harley and poison ivy, but only cuz they needed to be good/chaotic evil for gotham sirens.
There are a few..
Livewire, giganta, cheetah, catwoman, harley, Ivy, Killer frost. ...yes there is a very noticeable trend... Major disaster is the only man I can think of. actually, Lex for a bit there. No ones sure if it will stick. I will also note very few of these are actually from the "heroes" directly working with them to deal with their problems.
Sometimes they do get reset by movies, writers who want to return things to what they grew up with.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
aside from charles dance, every GOT actor sucks, outside of GOT

Sean Bean?
Lena Headey?
Max von Sydow?
Ian McShane?
Jonathan Pryce?

The cast has grown absolutely huge over the years and they've roped in some very talented actors during it's run.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
So I actually enjoyed this quite a bit. Other than the really bad CGI on Steppenwolf I thought it was visually miles ahead of most Marvel movies. I much prefered the consistent long combat compared to the MCU style of fight > quip > fight > quip that has been run into the ground since Iron Man.

The plot was standard super hero shit, but I'm fine with tropes. The only thing I really didn't like was Superman, I think they did him terribly and have done since Man Of Steel.

• 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just finished watching it. Terrible.
Wonder Woman is their entire brand right now. She is great and all the rest of them suck imo.

Maybe terrible is an overstatement but honestly I don't see the appeal of any of the characters other than WW. It had some good visuals, I guess.

The Flash slow down scenes are fun, I do like those. I did like the Side Eye Supes gave Flash and that reaction. Also the scene where Flash is proud of himself for saving the family of 4 locals, and looks over to see Superman lifting a building to safety. Both nice touches.

I'm not a huge DC guy but I found myself thinking they should have Wonder Woman beating the shit out of Steppenwolf. In my mind she's right up there on par with Superman in terms of power level. Still she was good. They do her character really well. She's not generic like the others.

Batman does not come across as intelligent at all. Uses guns all the time in these films. Way too quippy.

Flash is meh. Maybe he was a fan fav with younger kids.
Aquaman saying Wahoo and My man was cringy for me.
Cyborg... I guess he is fine. He's a good utility guy. They didn't have time to flesh them out much so I didn't care about him.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thinking back on it, this would have been the best (and maybe only real) chance for them to dial in Superman a bit, especially in comparison to the others. But instead they went out of their way to show just how overpowered he is and even made the Flash's one thing not special. Maybe they'll retcon it some but I see it as a sign to expect them to just be incredibly inconsistent with power levels going forward.