King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (2017)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I don't know if that's necessarily true. One thing they can't do with Aladdin (that they can do and are doing with The Lion King remake) is bring back the iconic voice actor from the original. And Robin Williams owns that role in the minds of fans even more so than JEJ owns Mufasa. And everyone knows this going in. It's going to be a challenge to find someone who can endear themselves to the audience on that scale a second time around.

Dan Castellaneta (voice of Homer Simpson) does a pretty good Genie... he did the Aladdin sequels and Kingdom Hearts and probably some other stuff. not quite as good as Williams but he fills in pretty nicely.

BUT after typing that i did some googling for examples of his work as Genie and i found this so now i'm giving up: Jim Meskimen to replace Dan Castellaneta as "Genie" in Future Games - News - Kingdom Hearts Insider

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
wow, that was surprisingly shitty.

i think I liked the last five minutes of the movie more than the rest cuz it was ending.

Oldbased

> Than U
Safe to say Guy Ritchie won't be handed any scripts anytime soon, unless it is for Sherlock Holmes.
Edit-hah He was handed a Sherlock Holmes script featuring Iron Man again, rumored.
Also Aladdin. I think he did ok on Sherlock but I am not sure about him directing Aladdin at all.
Also Aladdin has Will Smith rumored as the genie. Setting up for a 2020 mega combo fail?

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What does that mean? what flops has he had

This is one of the only flops I know of, better question is if Charley Hunnam make a high grossing film

Last edited:

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Touche. I love Arthurian stuff. I just hate shitty movies portraying it.

Isn't Hunnam the dude who turned down Pacific Rim 2 because he was too good for those roles now?

Also official Scream response. Hollywood nor studio cares about the 1/4 of a billion loss after marketing fees. The data provided is more useful than the money.

Screamfeeder Screamfeeder

trump-laughing.jpg

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Sadly Guy Ritchie explaining this movie on Joe Rogan podcast was 1000X more entertaining than the actual film. Pretty disappointed I am a GR fan.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I actually didnt hate the film like everyone else, I think my biggest issue with the film was the casting. I didnt mind the story but the actors werent cast right IMO

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Man from Uncle was an excellent film released against stiff competition and it was not a total flop, but it did not make much money at the box office.

Revolver flopped, but it was not an expensive movie. It was basically his last movie in the same style as Lock Stock and done cheaply.

This movie was put out at the worst time possible, of average quality, and flopped epically.

So, basically one huge disaster (this) and two sort of flops that still managed to break even long term?

I do think he likely has a tough time finding work if his current projects are not major hits again, though. He is sort of like Kevin Smith in that he has a niche audience that may have aged past him and there are better movies being made with his style (Kingsman being the best example).

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Man from Uncle was an excellent film released against stiff competition and it was not a total flop, but it did not make much money at the box office.

Revolver flopped, but it was not an expensive movie. It was basically his last movie in the same style as Lock Stock and done cheaply.

This movie was put out at the worst time possible, of average quality, and flopped epically.

So, basically one huge disaster (this) and two sort of flops that still managed to break even long term?

I do think he likely has a tough time finding work if his current projects are not major hits again, though. He is sort of like Kevin Smith in that he has a niche audience that may have aged past him and there are better movies being made with his style (Kingsman being the best example).

I don't know if the Snatch TV series is his other than the universe. But it is god awful as well.

On JRE he was asked if he would do more Brit Crime stuff and he said he had TV stuff in the works.

Oldbased

> Than U
Damn, I was trying to trigger Scream 6 weeks ago. That is some serious trigger delay. I'm going to have to talk to my gunsmith on how to fix that, can't have the thing going off months later like that.

• 1Solidarity

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I watched the first half hour and turned it off. Is there any reason to finish it? It isn't like I don't know how the general King Arthur mythos is supposed to end.

I don't remember him being raised by prostitutes and running an underground crime ring though, but fuck it, right?!

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
i literally watched it for the first 120 seconds (not including the brief opening narration and titles) and i already fucking loathe it.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
It's all a matter of expectations.

If you go into this looking for, you know, an actual King Arthur movie, you're going to hate it.

If you go into this looking for one of those "the historical events that created the legend" style movies, you're *really* going to hate it.

If you go into this expecting a sort of DnD heist movie, then eh, it's not too bad.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
It's all a matter of expectations.

If you go into this looking for, you know, an actual King Arthur movie, you're going to hate it.

If you go into this looking for one of those "the historical events that created the legend" style movies, you're *really* going to hate it.

If you go into this expecting a sort of DnD heist movie, then eh, it's not too bad.
Does a Wayans brother show up later? That's about the only way I think I'd keep watching for this D&D heist.

• 1Solidarity