Kingdom of Amalur: Re-Reckoning remaster releasing soon

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Does that FOV fix resolve the issue with the combat camera which induced headaches after 10 minutes of playing?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I'll buy this for sure. Played through the original on stream a while back and it was good fun.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Oh, hell, it's on sale. $20 for the game, the soundtrack and the upcoming DLC. Done deal.

I won't likely play it on stream again, but I'll play through it again for sure.

Xerge

<Donor>
Was sent to kill some fella in a spider cave for some greedy talking mother fucker
Decided to side with buddy in cave and not kill him
Liberated town and received an upgradable home and blowjobs

10/10 would quest again

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This game was amazing when I first played it several years ago, although it might have only been great because I was on Vicodin that week due to a root canal.

Not gonna lie, stuff like that can make mediocre games a lot more tolerable. There have been a few times where I was on a stronger painkiller for a week or two and spent that week or two destroying my backlog of games I couldn't be arsed to finish under normal circumstances. Even the dull ones become chill time. It's too bad we can't feel like that all the time without terrible side effects eventually happening.

Workerbee

Molten Core Raider
So, basically a re-release of an already existing game I already bought and own in my Steam Library? Yeah, like I'd pay even more for a game I never actually finished because it soon gets so boring... hrrrzzzZZZZZzzzzzzzz.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Didn't creditors/Maine cite the poor performance of this game as justification to shut down the entire studio and mmo development? Not saying this game alone was going to keep the company afloat, but it sure seems to have legs for such a presumed flop that helped justify shuttering the entire studio.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Didn't creditors/Maine cite the poor performance of this game as justification to shut down the entire studio and mmo development? Not saying this game alone was going to keep the company afloat, but it sure seems to have legs for such a presumed flop that helped justify shuttering the entire studio.
I don’t think any financial decisions were based on the game. It was all political.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I don’t think any financial decisions were based on the game. It was all political.

Not gonna look it up, but there was a whole thing about Schilling trying to build a franchise and buying this game to rework into Amular IP to not only help with marketing/exposure, but to use sales to help fund the mmo and justify loan deals.

I don't remember if the game underperformed or Schilling over promised, maybe both, and it wasn't the only cause if anything, but I do vaguely remember the strange juxtaposition of the politician saying the game was basically a flop and proved the studio wouldn't ever meet their creative/production goals while the game was actually selling decently and getting decent reviews.

Remember it because then the opinion that Amular was vaporware was justified by saying the single player game was mostly made by a different studio, which of course was technically true while completely missing the point that the IP and studio were being called flops to justify what imo was a politically motivated move, while the game wasn't actually flopping.

There were design/creative issues, of course, like the trailer with the guy stabbing the skeleton. But it's still weird to me the game is getting remasters and dlcs and was sold and rated decently. Game managed to be exactly what Schilling was planning for it being, despite being cited as proof the studio/IP couldn't be a success and needed to be shut down.

In part, a fake news political hit job before it was commonplace. Imagine the outrage with Schilling and 38 even existing if they'd made it past that initial fiasco. In 100 alternate realities they probably get politically axed in 99 of them.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It was probably a flop by whatever unrealistic sales projections they had for it. The game isn't bad, but it isn't good either. It's mediocre through and through. It was slightly interesting to see them go a little deeper into Faerie mythology than most games do, but they didn't delve into it hard enough to make it a truly unique story.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Not gonna look it up, but there was a whole thing about Schilling trying to build a franchise and buying this game to rework into Amular IP to not only help with marketing/exposure, but to use sales to help fund the mmo and justify loan deals.

I don't remember if the game underperformed or Schilling over promised, maybe both, and it wasn't the only cause if anything, but I do vaguely remember the strange juxtaposition of the politician saying the game was basically a flop and proved the studio wouldn't ever meet their creative/production goals while the game was actually selling decently and getting decent reviews.

Remember it because then the opinion that Amular was vaporware was justified by saying the single player game was mostly made by a different studio, which of course was technically true while completely missing the point that the IP and studio were being called flops to justify what imo was a politically motivated move, while the game wasn't actually flopping.

There were design/creative issues, of course, like the trailer with the guy stabbing the skeleton. But it's still weird to me the game is getting remasters and dlcs and was sold and rated decently. Game managed to be exactly what Schilling was planning for it being, despite being cited as proof the studio/IP couldn't be a success and needed to be shut down.

In part, a fake news political hit job before it was commonplace. Imagine the outrage with Schilling and 38 even existing if they'd made it past that initial fiasco. In 100 alternate realities they probably get politically axed in 99 of them.

My recollection was something to the effect of whatever deals were in place required KOA to be a massive success just to break even.

So even though it sold well past expectations, it still lost money due to shitty management

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
My recollection was something to the effect of whatever deals were in place required KOA to be a massive success just to break even.

So even though it sold well past expectations, it still lost money due to shitty management

Yeah, definitely. I don't think a massive successes for it to break even itself, but more to keep the mmo production afloat (the shitty management). That's why it's so weird, though. The game that was branded a flop to reinforce the studio being a flop producing vaporware... Actually sold decently and is getting remastered and dlcs, and sorta turned out like Schilling planned, just without an IP or mmo to build toward.

It's like a limb amputated to save the patient... The patient dies and the limb doesn't. Oops, that's weird.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I checked this out, short version it doesn’t hold up. Combat is meh, world is massive but nothing really draws me explore, and everything just feels dated. I enjoyed this game when it came out but there is no going back.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users