Kurt Cobain was murdered (probably).

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
When metal is used for TV ads, American Pickers and Pawn Stars or whatnot, metal (and punk) has definitely changed.

I saw that Kurt & Courtney doc in the late 90s too. It's very possible something shady went down, but I've always thought it strange that drug addled, retarded ass Courtney Love could be such a criminal genius. In all likelihood, if something did indeed go down, it was probably some junkie friend of his or some drug dealer or some shit.
yeah, the one piece of evidence that stands out is the position they found the shotgun. also how his friends were at his home and didnt discover the body or whatnot. i dunno if that means there is a conspiracy, its jst a weird occurrence.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Kurt cited the Pixies as a huge influence, but I wouldn't consider them in any way lumped in with the "grunge" sound.

I guess they are also under the generic "90's alt rock" term, but that also includes Tool, Primus, RATM, etc. Pretty much any rock band that got airplay on 90's alt-rock radio stations.

Also, any love for Mudhoney? Had their first couple albums, which were pretty good.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
yeah, the one piece of evidence that stands out is the position they found the shotgun. also how his friends were at his home and didnt discover the body or whatnot. i dunno if that means there is a conspiracy, its jst a weird occurrence.
it is weird. I read the OP info, and I've heard about this for years. I just don't see a conspiracy.

Kurt cited the Pixies as a huge influence, but I wouldn't consider them in any way lumped in with the "grunge" sound.

I guess they are also under the generic "90's alt rock" term, but that also includes Tool, Primus, RATM, etc. Pretty much any rock band that got airplay on 90's alt-rock radio stations.
Pixies is a rock band, period. Grunge, alternative, genre this genre that.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
he also said sonic youth was a big influence, i looked it up and his influences were all over the spectrum.
AC/DC • Aerosmith • Bad Brains • Beat Happening • The Beatles • Bikini Kill • Black Flag • Black Sabbath • Butthole Surfers • Buzzcocks • Cheap Trick • Chokebore • Creedence Clearwater Revival • Daniel Johnston • David Bowie • Devo • Dinosaur Jr. • Earth • Flipper • The Germs • Half Japanese • Jesus Lizard • Joy Division • Killing Joke • Kiss • The Knack • Leadbelly • Led Zeppelin • Meat Puppets • Melvins • Mudhoney • Neil Young • Pixies • Queen • The Raincoats • R.E.M. • Scratch Acid • Sex Pistols • The Shaggs • Shocking Blue • Shonen Knife • The Slits • Sonic Youth • The Stooges • Swans • Terry Jacks • The Velvet Underground • Vaselines • Wipers • Young Marble Giants

Sterling

El Presidente

Any excuse to post a bunch of awesome Pixies videos is good enough for me! Also, while you may not want call them grunge or whatever, you certainly draw more of a straight line from them to the grunge bands than any of the other bands you listed.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Trivia quiz. Did you know this was a cover of the 60's band that did "I'm your Venus, I'm your fire"? :p

Maybe one of the best tracks on Bleach.

If you were a kid in the 80's you probably remember the Bananrama version on MTV.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
it is weird. I read the OP info, and I've heard about this for years. I just don't see a conspiracy.
supposedly kurt was going to leave her. also some ado about his suicide note. claiming it wasnt in his hand or that the note was his handwriting, but the suicidey bits was written in a different hand. and was there a rumor about a new will? its provocative stuff, but at the end of the day its all just conjecture. the police revisited the case some time ago and i never heard any further news about it.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Negative. Nirvana had great songs. But I'm a musician snob and almost all the other grunge bands had vastly better musicians in them. Soundgarden is by far my favorite. Matt Cameron: dope drummer. Kim Thayil: dope guitarist. Chris Cornell: voice so good I get wiggles in my pants. Plus they wrote some weird ass chord progressions that actually made sense. The chord progressions in Black Hole Sun are insanely original. And that's their biggest hit!

• 2Like

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
supposedly kurt was going to leave her. also some ado about his suicide note. claiming it wasnt in his hand or that the note was his handwriting, but the suicidey bits was written in a different hand. and was there a rumor about a new will? its provocative stuff, but at the end of the day its all just conjecture. the police revisited the case some time ago and i never heard any further news about it.
That's how I see it, as provocative conjecture. Whenever a celebrity dies, especially one so sudden, under such troubling & suspicious circumstances, there's always going to be the rumor mill.

Any excuse to post a bunch of awesome Pixies videos is good enough for me! Also, while you may not want call them grunge or whatever, you certainly draw more of a straight line from them to the grunge bands than any of the other bands you listed.
Pixies is pre-grunge for sure. As was Sonic Youth. Kurt even said that Teen Spirit was him trying to write a Pixies song.

Trivia quiz. Did you know this was a cover of the 60's band that did "I'm your Venus, I'm your fire"? :p
Bleach is an underrated album, very old school hardcore punk influenced.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm just grateful that "Smells Like Teen Spirit" came out my freshman year in HS because my friends that are even a couple years older than me still like Motley Crue/Def Leppard/Van Halen bullshit and I give Kurt credit for saving me from that grim fate.

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
yeah wtf? dont diss the crue. they fucking own. def leppard was goddamned awesome with high n dry and pyromania then did hysteria to cap off the decade. van halen, eh fuck them after DLR left.

• 1Like

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Don't you dare badmouth Sammy Hagar.

Edit: Nah, but seriously the first album I ever bought with my own money was GNR's Appetite and Dr. Feelgood was huge at the time. I can't tell you how many times I listened to my Shout At The Devil cassette. And though I first got into VH when Poundcake came out, it's true they turned into a bunch of ballad lovesong pussies when Diamond Dave went solo.

Last edited:

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
no i wont diss the red rocket, i cant drive 55, three lock box and heavy metal. but fuck van hagar. at least we got Eat em and Smile out of it with steve vai blowing eddie the fuck out.

GNR's Appetite is such trash. I listened to it for the first time a few months back. Couldn't finish it. There's some amazing songs on there, but most of it is trash.

1. "Welcome to the Jungle" Guns N' Roses 4:31 GREAT
2. "It's So Easy" Guns N' Roses, West Arkeen 3:21 DOGSHIT
3. "Nightrain" Guns N' Roses 4:26 DOGSHIT
4. "Out ta Get Me" Guns N' Roses 4:20 DOGSHIT
5. "Mr. Brownstone" Guns N' Roses 3:46 DOGSHIT
6. "Paradise City" Guns N' Roses 6:46 GREAT
7. "My Michelle" Guns N' Roses 3:39 DOGSHIT
8. "Think About You" Guns N' Roses 3:50 DOGSHIT
9. "Sweet Child o' Mine" Guns N' Roses 5:55 AMAZING
10. "You're Crazy" Guns N' Roses 3:16 DOGSHIT
11. "Anything Goes" Guns N' Roses, Chris Weber 3:25 DOGSHIT
12. "Rocket Queen" DOGSHIT