Laptop Computers

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
1) Get chromebook
2) Install Linux
3) Profit

Except that any cheap chromebook is built around eMMC rather then a hard drive or ssd. Both Windows and Linux with a GUI will run terribly on such systems.

McCheese McCheese where u located? I can probably just mail you a laptop.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Except that any cheap chromebook is built around eMMC rather then a hard drive or ssd. Both Windows and Linux with a GUI will run terribly on such systems.

It's not that bad using Crouton

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk

Thanks, but I don't need one that badly.

I'm surprised to hear that about Chromebooks, though. I know they used to be shit, but lately I've been hearing that they are pretty good for people who just need light usage, such as students for taking notes, etc.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks, but I don't need one that badly.

I'm surprised to hear that about Chromebooks, though. I know they used to be shit, but lately I've been hearing that they are pretty good for people who just need light usage, such as students for taking notes, etc.

If you buy a 400+ chromebook they will run decently. But the super low end ones have very slow internal storage as they are banking off everything being done on the cloud.

My biggest issue with chrome books is lack of choice. I realize at the moment your usage case is mostly covered, but if at some point you do need to do something else there won't necessarily be an option to add it to a chromebook. I'm hopeful for the future as Google integrats Android and it's apps into ChromeOS, but as of now they are extremely limited.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Chromebooks are okay-ish laptops if you know how to Linux. Not the base models though, those are not good for anything but being coasters.

ChromeOS is basically a glorified tablet, so if you buy one expecting anything more than tablet-like functionality you're gonna have a bad time.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
It's not even a glorified tablet. Android tablets have access to more software then ChromeOs

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think there is a roadmap for chromeOS to be able to run Android apps, unless this is already the case? I don't have one but would pick one up on that basis

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I think there is a roadmap for chromeOS to be able to run Android apps, unless this is already the case? I don't have one but would pick one up on that basis

You can already run android apps on chrome OS. Not all chromebooks can IIRC, but the newer ones can.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I was looking at picking my wife up a refurbished t430 for like $150. It's got an older i5, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd. Nothing special but she wants to write now and I don't feel like dropping real money on a laptop. I had one of these at work,worst part was the screen is garbage.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
If you going to get an old thinkpad, at least find one with 4:3 aspect ratio.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
its more square so always felt like there is more vertical space.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone considering a Walmart laptop? May be a Black Friday option.
Edit - their new gaming laptop line

Ratama

Lord Nagafen Raider
Looking to pick up a new laptop, and I’d appreciate some input, before I pull the trigger!

Basically I’m looking to use it for work (Office stuff), browsing, Netflix etc., and ideally sole casual gaming, although I dont’t expect the gaming experience to be able to be a 1:1 replacement for gaming on a designated gaming rig.

So far I’ve narrowed it down to Dell and Lenovo, the XPS and Yoga lines respectively.

Does anyone have firsthand experience with eitver line of laptops?

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
The general consensus here has been Lenovo for value in a laptop that is capable of playing games reasonably.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...hard-drive-onyx-black/6291892.p?skuId=6291892

Am I going to find a laptop much better than this in the $300-$400 range? My girlfriend is working a bunch of overtime this weekend to get it for herself, want to make sure she's getting a good deal.

Looks pretty typical for that price range. If it has a spare slot for it, you might want to see about tossing in a cheap SSD sometime down the road. SSDs are a great upgrade for a cheap laptop.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I bought a DELL laptop which came with 8GB of DDR4-2400 RAM. I want to add another 8GB. Is it super important to get exactly the same DIMM manufacturer (DELL is using a Samsung module according to CPUZ)? Or can I buy any ol' DDR4-2400 module and be fine?