Laptop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
And I sit close to my monitor anyway, I don’t like being far, I feel like I game worse.

Kinda like when you have to turn down the radio volume when driving to find a place you’re looking for.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Also if you use the laptop's keyboard to game, you need to keep in mind the heat spots under the keyboard. Most decent reviews cover such things.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So people plug regular keyboards into their lap tops when gaming or something?

I feel like I have all these stupid questions. Ugh.

As a fat fingered dude I worry about a laptop keyboard which is why I was thinking 17inch so I’d have more room to operate. But if the two inches really inhibits portability then I’ll go with the 15.whatever.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I have had many laptops over the last 2 decades and the two 17 inch ones I had for gaming I never took anywhere because they are just not very portable. As for the heat spots, the equipment in the laptop heats up during use and depending on where the hottest pieces are located, it could cause slight but very annoying discomfort for your fingers.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I used the Logitech G13 to save wear and tear on my laptop keyboard.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
If you want to drop $1400 I would get a Powerspec laptop (example: Micro Center - Computers and Electronics). Also take a look at Custom Gaming Computers, Laptops, Notebooks | XOTIC PC and check out shit there. Personally I am partial to Sager/Clevo models.

My personal opinion is that gaming on the laptop using its keyboard is aids due to how close you have to sit to the screen. And dont do 17 inch. Shit is not portable at all.

So I looked up that Powerspec keyboard and there are a lot of complaints with it overheating and there being no updates for its BIOS and there's almost no support for drivers/updates for it. That has me really shying away from it. The specs and price for it though are pretty great.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
So I looked up that Powerspec keyboard and there are a lot of complaints with it overheating and there being no updates for its BIOS and there's almost no support for drivers/updates for it. That has me really shying away from it. The specs and price for it though are pretty great.
You are not going to find a gaming laptop without these same problems.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I won’t find a laptop that doesn’t have updates and drivers for bios and things of that nature? That makes me not want one at all if that’s the case.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Bios barely gets upgraded for desktop mobos. It's much worse for laptops.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Do you have that laptop or you just came across it as a good deal? It seems impressive, concentrates on what’s inside and is a no frills outside. Looks a little clunky but whatever, mold complaints about the keyboard and botching abou the touchpad but I’d use a mouse anyway.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Just something I posted here before, nothing that I have. Look at the website I linked for other laptops too.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
If my budget was same as yours? Yes. But you really should look at other options.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I’m in the market for a new laptop soon. 5 years on the last one and the wasd keys are worn to a nub and my screen finally cracked. Still works but have started looking around.
Is it worth waiting for the 20xx laptops to come out now? Not to get them but am thinking 1070/1080 laptops may see a price drop as a result ?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
It's possible but I kinda doubt it. Might be awhile before you even see laptops with them as well.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'm looking for a lightweight, portable laptop for around $200 that meets the following requirements:
- basic writing, spreadsheets, presentations (Google docs etc. is fine)
- basic music / video streaming. It doesn't need to look amazing or sound great.
- video recording using a USB webcam. This is a must, as I need to be able to Skype for work.
- a comfortable, non-cramped keyboard. This is really important and it's the main reason I don't want to stick with a tablet.

I won't play any games on this thing, so it only needs enough horsepower for video streaming and recording. I'm going to use it exclusively for work, which involves carrying it around to different offices and to use it during conferences to take notes.

I'm assuming a Chromebook is my best bet. I was looking around at them and there seem to be a million different ones. Any recommendations on a cheap one that isn't going to be a complete piece of shit?

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I'm assuming a Chromebook is my best bet. I was looking around at them and there seem to be a million different ones. Any recommendations on a cheap one that isn't going to be a complete piece of shit?

Chromebooks are ultra limited piles of hot garbage.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Anything under $400 new will run like shit more than likely. You might be able to get some refurb stuff inthe $250-300 area. I'd try to find an i3 laptop and put Ubuntu on it. It will handle all that you want to do plus some.