Laptop Computers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I bought a DELL laptop which came with 8GB of DDR4-2400 RAM. I want to add another 8GB. Is it super important to get exactly the same DIMM manufacturer (DELL is using a Samsung module according to CPUZ)? Or can I buy any ol' DDR4-2400 module and be fine?
naw, i've upgraded a few Dells w/ whatever RAM, i mean as long as you buy from like newegg or amazon, can always return.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jasker

Brown officer title, just like Kaige
Hey guys,

Thought this would be a good place to come if anyone happens to know the following:

Essentially, looking for a Windows 10 i5/i7 laptop that is close to the MacBook Pro in design and ‘texture’.

-similar track pad features and trackpad placed in bottom middle. Trackpad is my main concern.
-‘aluminum’ feel to the body
-lightweight design, thin, actual weight very light
-similar screen to MacBook Pro

At least:
256 ssd
I5 or i7
8-16gig ram
15’ screen

Please let me know if you know of a windows laptop similar to the MacBook Pro. Why not buy a Mac? Need windows operating system and also a ton cheaper.

Thanks guys.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I like my macbooks but if I needed a windows laptop that was not for gaming purposes it would be a dell XPS.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Hey guys,

Thought this would be a good place to come if anyone happens to know the following:

Essentially, looking for a Windows 10 i5/i7 laptop that is close to the MacBook Pro in design and ‘texture’.

-similar track pad features and trackpad placed in bottom middle. Trackpad is my main concern.
-‘aluminum’ feel to the body
-lightweight design, thin, actual weight very light
-similar screen to MacBook Pro

At least:
256 ssd
I5 or i7
8-16gig ram
15’ screen

Please let me know if you know of a windows laptop similar to the MacBook Pro. Why not buy a Mac? Need windows operating system and also a ton cheaper.

Thanks guys.
just get asus zenbook everything you want for 800bucks, obviously you want 16g or bigger ssd you just go the next model up.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
I like my macbooks but if I needed a windows laptop that was not for gaming purposes it would be a dell XPS.

I have a dell xps 13 and it's a great machine - you're not going to be gaming on it but it runs photoshop etc like a dream and it's got a fantastic screen. Also it's very quiet and small. I prefer it to surfaces/macbook.

Picked mine up in dell outlet uk for less than half the price of a new one (was tagged scratch and dent, but it's pristine).

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
So last year I finally bought my first apple product.. An extremely overpriced MBP w/ touchbar. ONLY because it has awesome adobergb coverage and I had tried the xps15 the month prior and it had shit build quality/broke thus returned. Killer wifi hard never worked so replaced with intel, final straw was when plastic insulator in charging port broke off less than a month of owning

Lol the MBP internals had to be completely replaced after 2 months. Other than that I love it. Also have a Thinkpad t460 I use for more software developer stuff but I've had a few retarded issues with it.

What laptops are people who do lots of software dev using? Always loved thinkpads but I'm open-minded

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Im probably getting a Surface Laptop 2 in the very near future. Like today or tomorrow possibly. The mat black look is killer, I don't think I care about USB-C or Thunderbolt on my laptop, and I can't deal with the up angle camera on that new Matebook.

I'm on a first gen Surface Book now, and it's been good but time for a new laptop. I'm over the fulcrum hinge. I don't game on it.

Dell XPS is my runner up. My biggest question is will I notice the difference if I spec the Surface up to a 16 Gigs Ram, Core i7? I feel like I would right? I'm mostly doing work in online platforms, excel, google docs etc. And obviously web browsing and watching youtube/nexflix/whatever. It's basically doubling the price to go from 8GB i5, 256gk > 16GB i7 512GB. I don't mind spending the money I just want to be sure i see a difference for it.

Might go to the Microsoft store to see them in person.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
If all you are doing is Ms office work there will be zero performance difference between 8 and 16 gigs of ram.

• 1Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah I wont need 16GB for the Excel I use. So many considerations still though.
Coming from a Surface Book1. I really like the 3:2 aspect ratio on the Surface.
I would like to get up to a 15" screen this time, but not 100% necessary.
I was considering the XPS 15 but I use the camera all the time and having it on the bottom is a no go.
15" Surface Book is a possibility.

I have a desktop for gaming, I just need good performance for basic apps, nice easy to read screen. I use the camera for Skype a lot. No video rendering or anything like that. Portable is good but I don't care how thin or light it is. Anything under 4 lbs is totally fine.

Don't use my Surface book as a tablet ever, or turn it around ever so don't care about 2 in 1. Seems like the Surface Laptop 2 is the best option for me. Although I'm seeing now the new XPS 13 has the camera on top. Hmm.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Anyone know if (or has experience with) you can output audio from a laptop into a PC to mix in with the rest of the audio? Like using a laptop to watch videos while doing stuff on a PC, without using the video feed into the PC, and with the option of using headphones for all of it. Would just using a 3.5 cable in the audio-out on the laptop into a PC's input work?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
A probably stupid question:

I'm going to need to do a lot of presenting in the near future, so I need to get a laptop that can be plugged into projectors at conferences, meeting rooms, etc. Is that a pretty standard kind of port on most laptops? What exactly is it called if I need to look for it on laptop specs to make sure it has one?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

I'm going to need to do a lot of presenting in the near future, so I need to get a laptop that can be plugged into projectors at conferences, meeting rooms, etc. Is that a pretty standard kind of port on most laptops? What exactly is it called if I need to look for it on laptop specs to make sure it has one?

Most likely it would be HDMI, which pretty much any laptop should have.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

projectors will almost always have vga as a default, all modern (within the past 10+ years) will have hdmi, new hot ones will also include displayport.

Depending on the laptop you'll be limited on what you can output, many have started to include micro hdmi or micro displayport, (but it'll always include the adapter from micro to full size)

IMO, always have a hdmi and vga cable on hand (or in the bag)

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I'm in the market for a laptop to take on vacations and business trips. Ideally, it'd be capable of gaming, as a lot of business trips tend to be a shitload of time spent in a hotel for a fucking meeting that lasts for an hour. Any ideas? Price range is $600-$700ish.

Crimson

Peasant
Ever since I've had PC problems, I haven't even turned it on for months and instead got two laptops. And I use them everyday now with a keyboard and mouse and have grown very used to it. The portability remains my favorite part, for sure.

It's an insanity/paranoia with me, I guess; since the laptop is just like the PC, but I guess I have so much fear of dealing with the latter, I just don't wan to use it anymore.

Laptop gaming is rather expensive from what I've heard, which is why I mostly moved to console for everything.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Looking for a work/ media laptop.

Been using an old iPad and it’s no longer functional. Need that mouse for sales spreadsheets

Thinking a surface laptop, really like the size and style, but the lack of usb-c and hdmi ports has me holding off.

Would you agree a new laptop purchase in 2019 must have usb-c?

Any advice on a good laptop would be appreciated. Willing to go up to $1500 (cdn)for the right machine

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Any Thinkpad fans here? Currently have a t460. T490 looks sexy and if the display has 100% Adobe rgb coverage like they claim then I'm tempted to ditch my MacBook pro that I use for media editing.

Prob honestly don't need to upgrade but you know, new things and all.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Apple has shit the bed with their laptops so once my MacBook Pro is dead, I will almost certainly go back to thinkpads.