Laptop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

ok, this is the model I got. Basically the cheapest version. So far it is really kick ass. Still getting used to the keyboard as it is full size with a number pad where my Zenbook did not. The touchpad is not centered so also taking a little time to get used to. Haven't got to try any games yet but plan on playing far Cry 5 later today/tonight if it finishes downloading. Shitty internet is shitty

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
jooka jooka I've been considering this model myself, I use the backup/restore feature in Steam, it really saves time. Even an old backup is good as it will only update at that point.

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider

ok, this is the model I got. Basically the cheapest version. So far it is really kick ass. Still getting used to the keyboard as it is full size with a number pad where my Zenbook did not. The touchpad is not centered so also taking a little time to get used to. Haven't got to try any games yet but plan on playing far Cry 5 later today/tonight if it finishes downloading. Shitty internet is shitty

How is the construction on this? When I was looking for a new laptop I found one of these in a shop where I live and it felt fragile but I'm not sure if it's just because it was the shops demo or what.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
loudgas loudgas I'll have to check that out. Took till this morning to just download FarCry 5

How is the construction on this? When I was looking for a new laptop I found one of these in a shop where I live and it felt fragile but I'm not sure if it's just because it was the shops demo or what.

Feels really sold to me. Played some Farcry 5 a bit this morning on High and it never dipped below 60fps(VSYNC ON) or if it did I didn't notice. Getting used to the keyboard and like it. Once I got the touchpad set to how I like it feels really good. The sound is great compared to my Zenbook but I usually use a pair of Sony MDR 1000x for sound. I will say the display is good but not the best either. I'm pretty spoiled at home on displays as normally never game on laptops unless I'm traveling for work. I use a Asus PG278Q at home which is just complete awesomeness.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

loudgas

Why not plug in your key/video/mouse to the new laptop and see how it drives that monitor? It's suppose to have a desktop gtx1060 equivalent, isn't it?

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
loudgas loudgas I'll have to check that out. Took till this morning to just download FarCry 5

Feels really sold to me. Played some Farcry 5 a bit this morning on High and it never dipped below 60fps(VSYNC ON) or if it did I didn't notice. Getting used to the keyboard and like it. Once I got the touchpad set to how I like it feels really good. The sound is great compared to my Zenbook but I usually use a pair of Sony MDR 1000x for sound. I will say the display is good but not the best either. I'm pretty spoiled at home on displays as normally never game on laptops unless I'm traveling for work. I use a Asus PG278Q at home which is just complete awesomeness.

One of the main complaints I had seen on the laptop and Inspiron 7000 series was that the monitors weren't horrible, but weren't great. I ended up getting an Alienware 17 with a GTX 1070. I am loving it so far and this thing is built like a tank. I am pretty sure I'd be more worried about what I dropped it on then hurting the laptop. I also managed to get it on some weird sale that Best Buy was having so I got it for like 150 more than the 1400 Predator Helios.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Anyone have sone tips for picking up a used or refurb surface pro? One of our IT guys at work has me talked into getting one.

loudgas

@ Bandwagon Bandwagon Make sure it has all the storage/memory you need from the start, I'm told those things are glued together so you can't upgrade them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I have the i5, 8 GB RAM 256 GB SSD surface pro 4 and it's still a solid device. My only major complaint is bluetooth performance is kind of shitty. I'm pretty sure that you can get refubs straight from Microsoft.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I have the i5, 8 GB RAM 256 GB SSD surface pro 4 and it's still a solid device. My only major complaint is bluetooth performance is kind of shitty. I'm pretty sure that you can get refubs straight from Microsoft.
Thanks, just ordered a new 2017 version with the same specs.

All the reviews I'm seeing are outstanding.

• 1Like

nazon

Molten Core Raider
Acer Nitro 5 AN515-51-55WL 15.6" IPS Intel Core i5 7th Gen 7300HQ (2.50 GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 8 GB Memory 256 GB SSD Windows 10 Home 64-Bit Gaming Laptop - Newegg.com

Every single year I tell myself I should buy a laptop and I never do. Well I finally got around to it. Ordered this Acer last night. I think the specs and price point suit my purposes. It was a hard decision between the Acer and the Dell 7000 but I went the cheaper route. I splurged on my desktop so I didn't want a super high end laptop. I'm going to be doing some traveling over the summer and didn't want to miss out on WoW. In the past I've taken my work issued laptop but it's pretty shitty.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Picked up an Acer a few weeks back, really like it. Does everything I need so far.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Acer Nitro 5 AN515-51-55WL 15.6" IPS Intel Core i5 7th Gen 7300HQ (2.50 GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 8 GB Memory 256 GB SSD Windows 10 Home 64-Bit Gaming Laptop - Newegg.com

Every single year I tell myself I should buy a laptop and I never do. Well I finally got around to it. Ordered this Acer last night. I think the specs and price point suit my purposes. It was a hard decision between the Acer and the Dell 7000 but I went the cheaper route. I splurged on my desktop so I didn't want a super high end laptop. I'm going to be doing some traveling over the summer and didn't want to miss out on WoW. In the past I've taken my work issued laptop but it's pretty shitty.

The work laptops they give us are fucking beasts because of CAD. They are like $3-$3.5K. But they have that shit locked down like a penitentiary. Youre not installing or playing anything on it.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So I've been reading up on using old i7 (mq) laptops for Plex media servers. Anyone know where to get their hands on any of those at a decent price? Looks like they used them a lot in old corporate developer laptops.

nazon

Molten Core Raider
Picked up an Acer a few weeks back, really like it. Does everything I need so far.

I am very happy with my Acer so far. It runs smooth and cool. I tested streaming wow and it gets the job done. The laptop bag I ordered is a little too small even though it was advertised as 15.6" . Ordered a 17 inch laptop bag instead.

loudgas

I just picked up the Acer Predator Helios 300 today, this is the GTX1060/6GB 17" variant, I havent done much with it yet but it checks all the boxes so far.
PH317-51-787B

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've got the 15.6" version and like it quite a bit. Gaming on it has been great.

loudgas

Still getting my library moved over, but took the time to put it through its paces with GTA5, it did not disappoint! I was getting a better experience than my desktop (i7-7700/1050ti), however when I took off my headphones I thought my laptop was going to take flight (fan noise)!

Anyone play with under-volting?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Yup, it really gets cranking. I grabbed this laptop cooler for when I am gaming.

• 1Like

loudgas

Thanks jooka jooka , I ended up pulling out one I had too, it does seem to help.

That under-volting suggests lower temps without decrease in performance, I may still try that.

Side note installing Farcry5 now, there are some known limitation running this game with a 1050/1050ti looking forward to seeing what this thing can do with it. :)