Last Epoch

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I can't put my finger on it but something about the character movement in LE just feels off. Grim Dawn feels similar to D3, in that everything feels responsive. That's one thing I would love to see changed in LE.
Yeah, it’s still feels jerky and not as responsive as it should be. Grim Dawn movement and skills play perfectly.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
LE got a lot better for me when I switched to playing it with a gamepad. I expected it to be fine for the autobomber but it's even really good on a bow mage too. Only problem they need to work on is the way the autoaim is in effect for movement skills too, it makes it a bit difficult to use them to dodge out of AOEs, and also annoying when you want to shield charge across the map and instead it sends you into a wall because there was a crate there.

Inventory management and general UI stuff is terrible of course, but I just pick up the mouse for that.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Welp I am mid 60s on a Void Knight autobomber, great damage, maxxed out resists, still working on health pool. The game is aight but nothing ground breaking.

That last snake-lady boss they added was quite the testicle-smasher though, ell o ell. I easily got to her and then died 3 times and just noped out and moved on to the Monolith stuff. The mechanics were fine, the two stages fine, the fight is just too long and arduous and really out of place. I guess I understand why it was added, but it was certainly jarring.

Anyway, working through the first stages of the Monolith. It is an interesting take on end-game, and I watched a vid to see how it ultimately progresses. Not sure the interest will remain long enough to clear the Monolith and then enervate (or whatever it is called) the areas.

I have exactly zero interest to try any other class or build. I think the biggest gripe for me overall is that the gear system and the drops are uninspired and bland.

Got my money's worth out of it all, but my take at this point is that LE is just another decent but ultimately forgettable ARPG.

Edit - Review for the 50+ gamer crowd. We generally garner a lot less pleasure out of everything, so take it for what it is worth.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
LE got a lot better for me when I switched to playing it with a gamepad. I expected it to be fine for the autobomber but it's even really good on a bow mage too. Only problem they need to work on is the way the autoaim is in effect for movement skills too, it makes it a bit difficult to use them to dodge out of AOEs, and also annoying when you want to shield charge across the map and instead it sends you into a wall because there was a crate there.

Inventory management and general UI stuff is terrible of course, but I just pick up the mouse for that.
They also need to fix the god damn inventory bug where if you’re highlighting something with the game pad it equips it when you close the window. That actually fucked me a few times when I didn’t realize it had happened, then I’m in the damn stage or boss battle with gimped gear on wondering why they’re hitting so hard. I’m not sure if it happens with mouse too but it’s annoying as fuck.

Agree about the movement skills, it can suck trying to go in a specific direction and it goes the wrong way, or highlights some crate and you launch sideways instead of forward. It’s like it needs to be able to turn off auto-aim on specific skills. They need a stick cursor speed adjustment too. If it were 2-3x as fast it wouldn’t be too bad to use. I’d probably still use mouse for inventory but for everything else UI related like skills and crafting the stick speed increase would be sufficient.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Couple more points:

(1) I just loaded a loot filter for my build and the game became 100% more enjoyable.
(2) I have not dabbled much into crafting but I just maxxed out my current items and that made that build even more powerful. I will be interested perhaps in delving deeper into the crafting, since I have not used any of the extra items yet. I assume you save your biggest crafting for purples that have affixes you desire?
(3) Do you guys typically clear the entirety of an Echo? I assume random loot dropping is the main source of items as you level, so it is better to clear everything (within reason, ain't walking across the map for the last group, etc)?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Couple more points:

(1) I just loaded a loot filter for my build and the game became 100% more enjoyable.
(2) I have not dabbled much into crafting but I just maxxed out my current items and that made that build even more powerful. I will be interested perhaps in delving deeper into the crafting, since I have not used any of the extra items yet. I assume you save your biggest crafting for purples that have affixes you desire?
(3) Do you guys typically clear the entirety of an Echo? I assume random loot dropping is the main source of items as you level, so it is better to clear everything (within reason, ain't walking across the map for the last group, etc)?
2. Kind of. You basically get uniques (orange) and exalted (purples). You try to refill your purples to go towards stats you need and cover your resists. Most exalted you’ll end up with 1-2 stats you don’t even use. A perfect exalted is a great item. Even greater if you can replace it with a more perfect one because then you can use the old one for legendary (red) crafting.

Uniques have 1 through 4 slots open (legendary potential). You can take a unique and an exalted and combine them to make a legendary. What happens is the unique randomly takes 1-4 of the stats on the exalted.

3. Nope. Just speed clear them as fast as possible. You churn through end rewards faster that way. Once you clear the last three (or four, I forget) high level islands you can then move on to empowered monoliths which is a level 100 version, which has better rewards. You can also make them higher and higher levels by defeating the shades which add corruption.

Edit: On the crafting, when I said “kind of” I mostly just meant you don’t have to save your crafting stuff for purples. You can use them on whites, blues, yellows til you find other stuff to replace it. You can get your mats back by shattering old items. Crafting in this game is rng but nothing like POE. You actually create useful stuff all the time, and you don’t get fucked if you mess up. I really enjoy the crafting in LE, most games I hate it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
There are couple of good, lengthy, posts on the official forums about improving Monoliths and Echoes. It seems there's very little incentive to farm mobs in the monoliths unless you have to kill a certain number to unlock the objective. Mostly looking at the reward and blowing through it and getting the chest. There are instances where killing more mobs does increase the loot but it still seemed that just grinding as many echoes as you could was better than trying to spend time increasing the loot in a single instance. I didn't get deep in to that though, put it on the side until the crashes are worked out.

There were a lot of good suggestions. Such as better matching the biomes to the theme of the Echo.. well I'll just link it. Gotta comb through and pick out the good idea from multiple posts.

That was just one example I could think of.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
When I got a bunch of really good XP mods stacked when I last played, I'd clear em but not go look for every last little mob. Idk what the 100 path is now compared to then.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Intrinsic Intrinsic That’s how Grim Dawns end game rifts work. You just grind X number of mobs until a gate appears, then go to the next. I think that should be one of the goals LE puts into its monoliths. I like how they have a variety of goals, they just need to add more variety to them so you aren’t repeating the same 4 or 5 goals. Repeat the same 15 goals is like three times better!

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Roger.

I will charge through my echoes. that seemed like the smarter way.

Thanks for the intro on crafting. I will look into it more as I progress. I am peeling through content quickly still so don't need a lot of adjustments at the moment. When I do, then I will have to work at it.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Roger.

I will charge through my echoes. that seemed like the smarter way.

Thanks for the intro on crafting. I will look into it more as I progress. I am peeling through content quickly still so don't need a lot of adjustments at the moment. When I do, then I will have to work at it.
Just make sure to save your uniques and any exalted you think you may use on a different build (or just all for now, til you learn which stats are for which build). If you get a unique with legendary potential (it displays near the top) feel free to vendor any non L version unless it’s something you’re using, or low level items you’d use to level up. Making a unique into a legendary raises the required level, so it’s good to keep a spare for the leveling items.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Here’s a recent crafting overview that goes over all the different ways you can craft stuff up.

Vorph

1. Bear in mind that Boardman's loot filters are autogenerated, so they just use the stats of the item he has equipped in the builder. Which makes his filters shitty because he doesn't completely optimize the gear in the builder. His filter is a good base, but you really need to edit it quite a bit to get to the point where it's actually showing the correct items. I also went ahead and completely shut off everything below yellow color (and am pretty tempted to turn yellow off too, just leaving orange and red... and eventually it'll probably just be exalts and the only lower tier ones I'll loot will be ones with super rare affixes for shattering).

2. For the autobomber the only unique you really need is Omnividence (farm empowered Stolen Lance looking for unique or unique/set staff nodes, or just try to chance it if you have some Runes of Ascendance). There's some decent uniques if you get ungodly lucky with both the legendary potential and the final craft, but I'm not counting on ever seeing that stuff.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I can't put my finger on it but something about the character movement in LE just feels off. Grim Dawn feels similar to D3, in that everything feels responsive. That's one thing I would love to see changed in LE.

For me, when you hit monsters, it doesnt really feel like you're hitting them. Like your sword goes through them and some numbers appear and that's it. It's strange, because like with PoE , D3, GD and shit its similar, but you actually feel the hits. It just feels like you're hitting something. In LE, its not.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
For me, when you hit monsters, it doesnt really feel like you're hitting them. Like your sword goes through them and some numbers appear and that's it. It's strange, because like with PoE , D3, GD and shit its similar, but you actually feel the hits. It just feels like you're hitting something. In LE, its not.
Yeah, I think it’s the sound. It’s not timed very well with hits and it doesn’t sound very impactful. I think the devs agree as it’s something they’re working on.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I think it’s the sound. It’s not timed very well with hits and it doesn’t sound very impactful. I think the devs agree as it’s something they’re working on.

That makes sense, would also be why everyone freaked out in poe when they fucked with the ice shatter sound. The sound itself was so satisfying, LE needs some of that. I can't wait till this game is MP and shit like this feels good. This is gonna be a game that's going to have astronomical potential someday.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That makes sense, would also be why everyone freaked out in poe when they fucked with the ice shatter sound. The sound itself was so satisfying, LE needs some of that. I can't wait till this game is MP and shit like this feels good. This is gonna be a game that's going to have astronomical potential someday.
Having played it, it absolutely has a ton of potential, they just need to develop it. From their notes I think they’re on the right track for every aspect of the game that is currently lacking.

Vorph

Is Quicksilver Coil bugged? It says 100% crit for every third strike of Flurry but I'm seeing 100% crit on not just every Flurry strike but also the Multishot procs.

Last edited:

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Welp, the game went from mildly entertaining on the endgame grind to Fuck Off Lagon on the third island. Seriously, I've typed in chat once playing this game, and it was during the story: "That Lagon fight was boring and stupid, who designed that and thought it was a good idea".

And so now I get to fight him again where he one shots me with the eye beam and the ground circle. The best part is when the beam traps me in the corner and I can't even cross it without dying because my move skill requires a target.

This may actually end my time with Last Epoch. Edit - Well I did it, but that fight is just the worst. The eye beam does not seem to go to the very edge like Kitava's flame in PoE, that was the saving grace. Moving on.............

Edit 2 - My next island is level 85. I am level 75. This build can do it.

Last edited:

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Welp, the game went from mildly entertaining on the endgame grind to Fuck Off Lagon on the third island. Seriously, I've typed in chat once playing this game, and it was during the story: "That Lagon fight was boring and stupid, who designed that and thought it was a good idea".

And so now I get to fight him again where he one shots me with the eye beam and the ground circle. The best part is when the beam traps me in the corner and I can't even cross it without dying because my move skill requires a target.

This may actually end my time with Last Epoch. Edit - Well I did it, but that fight is just the worst. The eye beam does not seem to go to the very edge like Kitava's flame in PoE, that was the saving grace. Moving on.............

Edit 2 - My next island is level 85. I am level 75. This build can do it.

Are you autobomber? There's been a lot of feedback how Lunge is the only movement skill that requires a target and calls that the requirement is removed to be in line with other class movement based skills.

• 1Like