Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, it's a matter of taste. And I wouldn't say that any on his list are bad. I've never much cared for Steve Carell outside of ensemble. He can be good in an ensemble, but he can't play off himself. Lewis Black I like in small doses but he hits the point where I'm tired of him pretty quickly.

Stewart is no slouch. He's not going to pick anyone who obviously isn't up to it. He's built a SNLesque machine over... what is it? Like 20 years he's been doing that show. Not like I'll ever meet him personally, but there seems to be a genuine admiration among people that have. Whatever knack "it" is, he's figured it out. And it really doesn't sound like empty flattery when they say it. It sounds like people who understand the difference between a bad boss, a good boss, and a GREAT boss.

spronk

FPS noob
wyatt cenac was on the daily show last night, he's gone full hipster mode releasing a vinyl comedy album and growing a ZZ top homeless beard

bill maher's latest overtime (i cant stand to watch him anymore, only saw it from a reddit link of the new batman being a tardo for arguing for islam being a peaceful religion) had a douchey moment where a guest mentioned that young people now get their news from web/daily show/colbert/fallon/maher, and maher did this eye roll and said "our ratings beat all of them!". maybe with DVRs and repeat viewings and shit but I don't know a single person who watches maher, while a bunch of people i know have the daily show or colbert or both as really the only show they watch religiously.

iannis

Musty Nester
Maher could tell me my ass was on fire and even if I was in terrible ass-pain I'd still turn around to check.

jeffvader

it's only castles burning
started back up again last night; i'm glad he's back. radioshack commericial was great.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah fantastic episode and makes you really appreciate how much better john oliver is than larry wilmore. good news too, Oliver's show is going to air 32 episodes this year, only 20 weeks off.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I had high hopes for Larry Wilmore's panel discussions because I have always wanted to watch Bill Maher's show without Bill Maher on it. So far they have not delivered though. The segment is too short and it sort of seems like he wants it to be always mostly black people which severely limits his options for guests. The guests haven't really bought into his "keep it 100" attitude either. I watched the episode on black fathers last week and it was super fucking awkward and wound up being a bunch of guys rationalizing their own shitty dads.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I liked the last couple Nightly Show episodes. I do think they should just sit down and get into the panel right away every time. There isn't enough time to do bits in the front and have a real discussion.

Last Week Tonight is still a lot better, but too short.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Sadly the Wilmore show sucks. I change the channel when Stewart is over. Sad times. Oliver++ though.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
I missed the boat on this but now I have HBO again and I want to catch up. How much of the first season would be contemporary and dated and how much would just be entertaining/funny shit?

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Watch it all. My only issue is some of the bits are a bit drawn out, like musical stuff. Joke received dude, you can stop, but he doesn't stop. These moments are rare.

He started really strong. I still think of Pom Wonderful and the Bill Nye stuff. Civil Forfeiture is still very much a thing. I don't think season 1 is very dated at all.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah, it's worth the watch. Each episode typically has a lengthy segment that lasts about half the show. And it's usually on something that is a persistent, massive problem in America that's as relevant now as it was then.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Man I was hoping to get him on that Uruguay bit, but then it turned out that was the joke. Nicely done John Oliver's writing team.

Fuckin map rolls up and I'm like, "but that's...not...". Damn him. Foiled again.

LXE23Me.png

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Having watched about 13 episodes, John Oliver in my eyes is the only man that could(and did for a bit) replace John Stewart. It will not happen as his success on HBO pretty much cements him there, but I cannot see anybody else doing it. The Wilmore show is horrible.

You can easily watch every one of his episodes and enjoy them regardless of it being 1 year old. As noted, many of the subjects continue to be relevant.

Has he done one on Marijuana legalization/Drug Wars? Surely there is a ton of meat on that bone.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm glad he pointed out how fucking stupid Daylight Savings Time is.

And I had no idea people from American Samoa weren't actually US citizens.That is fucked.

I'm not sure how I feel about the rest.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I actually think Daylight Saving Time should be permanent. The winter (when it ends) fucking sucks.