Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Daylight savings has its purpose, just this week, my wife woke up early cuz of the sun and i haven't installed blackout curtains yet, today she woke up like normal cuz of daylight savings.

so far the things affected: my pebble, microwave,range

oh i also have one of those sport stop watches you wear on your neck for sprints, but hell if i can figure out how to change the time with 3 buttons.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Usually its something like holding down the outer two until it blinks, then one button progresses hours and the other progresses minutes.

spronk

FPS noob
goddamn i am not a big sports follower but the NCAA stuff he covered this week was grotesque - how the fuck can anyone support that shit? Less than 2% of college athletes going pro is soooooooo fucked up.

John Oliver is really the man, this show is pretty now the top of my want to watch list every week

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Did that coach seriously compare paying students to an entitlement?

Yeah, fucknuts, you're goddamn right you're entitled to get paid when you do work. Jesus Christ.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Did that coach seriously compare paying students to an entitlement?

Yeah, fucknuts, you're goddamn right you're entitled to get paid when you do work. Jesus Christ.
Particularly because he's a leach on the breast of college sports. Like those assholes deserve the millions upon millions they get for basically yelling at kids .

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Holy Shit!

John just went from making fun of the news to making news.

Interview with Ed Snowden....well done.

Link to follow when up

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The funniest part was the guy admitting he had sent a dick pic recently. Totally nailed that whole bit.

edit: Also, the whole state of Florida. Never forget.

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Solid interview. Oliver didn't go easy on him, yet clearly illustrated the pitfalls of government mass surveillance.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
While obviously not the funniest episode, amazing Kudos to Oliver and his team, for setting it up as well as executing this.

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The interview with Snowden was excellent, he grilled him specifically on the fact that he leaked these documents to the media and mistakes have been made, for which Snowden had an excellent reply. It kind of made my stomach twist a bit when he showed Snowden the video and how badly the American public so he desperately wants to educate is so poorly informed about what he did and why but the second dick pics were mentioned the American public got the problem. Oliver managed to do what the media has failed at since this started, to actually explain what the government is doing and how it affects the public and why they should be concerned.

I have to applaud John Oliver for actually taking this argument and making it something the general public can understand without a computer science degree. On the other hand, the fact that a fucking comedy news show is doing a infinitely better job than the media is so fucking depressing. If there was ever a better example of the media not giving a shit about explaining issues to people and only being concerned about entertaining them, then I can't think of it.

Is John Oliver's show/style the future? He's literally doing a better job than the media at explaining issues and he's more entertaining than the actual news. He has them beaten on both fronts.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Is John Oliver's show/style the future? He's literally doing a better job than the media at explaining issues and he's more entertaining than the actual news. He has them beaten on both fronts.
If you are looking for a news source that has done a pretty good job with this and other important issues then giveDemocracy Now!a look. You can say whatever you want about their political leanings (they have them just like every outlet) but I've found that they do a pretty great job of being informative about a good number of important geopolitical and domestic concerns. I also like that their main anchors aren't the usual vapid, pretty faced suits you find on most of the big networks; they actually seem to know what they are talking about most of the time instead of just reciting from their teleprompter.

sole

Molten Core Raider
The interview with Snowden was excellent, he grilled him specifically on the fact that he leaked these documents to the media and mistakes have been made, for which Snowden had an excellent reply. It kind of made my stomach twist a bit when he showed Snowden the video and how badly the American public so he desperately wants to educate is so poorly informed about what he did and why but the second dick pics were mentioned the American public got the problem. Oliver managed to do what the media has failed at since this started, to actually explain what the government is doing and how it affects the public and why they should be concerned.

I have to applaud John Oliver for actually taking this argument and making it something the general public can understand without a computer science degree. On the other hand, the fact that a fucking comedy news show is doing a infinitely better job than the media is so fucking depressing. If there was ever a better example of the media not giving a shit about explaining issues to people and only being concerned about entertaining them, then I can't think of it.

I agree completely. Taking Snowden's argument and relating it to "dick-pics" was genius and something that everyone could relate to. Snowden didn't know his audience, that's why he turned everything over to the media; Oliver is keenly aware of his audience and how to communicate with them--that seems to be a hurdle that Oliver is constantly jumping over.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Finally got around to watching this (watched the first half on Monday before going to the gym). The Snowden interview was fucking hilarious.

I like to think I'm a relatively informed person, but I'm ashamed to admit that when he did the first interviews with people on the street about who Snowden is, I mixed him up with Assange as well.

Well that's just fucking depressing and also incredibly timely.