League Of Legends

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
So Round 2 of Groups this week is more interesting in that each day resolves a Group's outcome. So we can watch the story unfold for each group... and nobody is eliminated yet in any group, so anything can happen... also this means we're likely to get some tiebreakers, making the days much longer. iirc, last year had some crazy tie-breaker scenarios.

For Thursday, it's Group B. Someone put this awesome post on Reddit:
(I stopped reading after Game 3 scenarios tbh, too many variables to keep track of)

------
[Spoiler] What you should know while watching Thursday's Group B at Worlds. • r/leagueoflegends

Group B

• Longzhu (3-0)
  • Immortals (2-1)
  • Gigabyte Marines (1-2)
  • Fnatic (0-3)
No team is yet eliminated nor qualified.
The final day of this group stage starts with Immortals against Gigabyte Marines.

• If Immortals wins: They are 2-0 against Gigabyte and will finish higher than them whatever will happen next. That doesn't mean they'll be qualified yet! Fnatic is forced to go 3-0 if they want to have a chance at beeing qualified.

• If Gigabyte wins: The Marines and Immortals are in a perfect equality, this scenario is ideal for Fnatic who wouldn't require to beat Longzhu to be qualified anymore.
The second game is Longzhu vs Fnatic
  • If Longzhu wins: They are qualified, although not locking first seed yet. In the case Immortals had won the first game, Fnatic is then eliminated.

• If Fnatic wins: They are still in the course, whatever has happened in the first game.
The third game is Immortals vs Fnatic
  • If Immortals wins and go 4-1: Fnatic and Gigabyte are eliminated, Immortals is qualified and fighting for first seed.

• If Immortals wins and go 3-2: Fnatic is eliminated, losing twice against IMT. Gygabite would need to beat both Fnatic and Longhzu to go higher than Immortals but a single win might get them into a tiebreaker.

• If Fnatic wins and go 2-3: if Gigabyte has won the game against Immortals, all teams except Longzhu are now 2-3. Immortals are in a very bad spot, needing to beat Longhzu to tiebreak the winner of the deciding Fnatic vs Gigabyte game. Although if Immortals has won the game against the Marines, IMT don't require to beat Longzhu to get the tiebreaker, while a victory secures them the quaterfinals.

• If Fnatic wins and go 1-4: If Gigabyte has won against Immortals, Fnatic somehow still has a chance at a 2-4 tiebreaker between all teams except Longzhu. For this, they need the Marines and Immortals to lose in all 3 following games.
The fourth game is Gigabyte Marines vs Longzhu
  • If Gigabyte wins and go 3-2: both Immortals and Fnatic still have a chance at a tiebreaker against the Marines if Fnatic has won twice and Immortals once.

• If Gigabyte wins and go 2-3: It means they lost against Immortals earlier and can't surpass them with their 0-2 record. They are eliminated unless Longzhu goes 0-3.

• If Longzhu wins and go 5-0: They have locked first seed of the group unless Immortals manage to beat them later and force a tiebreaker by going 3-0

• If Longzhu wins and go 4-1: It means Fnatic beat them earlier. Longzhu locks a spot at quaterfinals but Immortals can still contest a first seed if they have won their earlier games. Gigabyte and Fnatic can still qualify with other scenarios going their way, but they won't get better than first seed.
The fifth game is Gigabyte Marines vs Fnatic
  • If Gygabite Marines wins and go 4-2: They have won every game of the day, and will lock a quaterfinals spot, that they might even contest with Longhzu on a tiebreaker if they have the same record. Immortals and Fnatic are eliminated

• If Gygabite Marines wins and go 3-3: Fnatic is eliminated. If Immortals have beaten the Marines earlier in the day, Longzhu and Immortals are qualified. If Longhzu is the one team to have defeated the Marines this day, there might be a tiebreaker between the Marines and Immortals.

• If Gygabite Marines wins and go 2-4: It means Immortals have beaten the Marines earlier and are then qualified thanks to the Marines stopping Fnatic. Longzhu and Immortals to quaterfinals

• If Fnatic wins and go 3-3: They will force any 3-3 team to a tiebreaker. The requirement is Immortals not winning twice.

• If Fnatic wins and go 2-4: They require Longzhu to go 6-0 and the two other teams to go 2-4 also to force a triple tiebreaker.

• If Fnatic wins and go 1-5: They have been eliminated earlier, but this victory gives the quaterfinals to Immortals unless Gigabyte has beaten both Longzhu and Immortals earlier. IMT would then need to win the last game to avoid a tiebreaker.
The Final game is Immortals vs Longzhu
  • If Immortals wins and go 5-1: If Longzhu has won their 2 other games, there will be a tiebreaker. If Longhzu has lost any other game, Immortals gets first seed

• If Immortals wins and go 4-2: unless Gigabyte goes 3-0 and Longzhu 0-3, Immortals and LZ are fighting for the first seed. with the said exception, the first seed would be decided between IMT and the Marines.

• If Immortals wins and go 3-3: Anything can happen at this point, there WILL be a tiebreaker concerning Immortals unless one very specific scenario (Marines-Longzhu-Fnatic-Longzhu-Fnatic-Immortals) wich would give them second seed.

• If Longzhu wins and go 6-0: a triple 2-4 scenario can still happen but if Immortals has won a game earlier, they are qualified as a second seed.

• If Longzhu wins and go 5-1: Longzhu still secures first seed. Anyone can get the second still

• If Longzhu wins and go 4-2: Immortals is the only team that hasn't beaten LZ and the Fnatic vs Marines game will determine wich one of them will contest the quaterfinals spot with Immortals. If Fnatic or Immortals finish second, Longhzu retains their first seed as Fnatic can't get higher than 3-3 and IMT would have lost twice. Gigabyte can actually tiebreak LZ for the first spot if they go 3-0.
If you liked it, I might do it for the other groups but i'm not sure i'm explaining so well
-------

Also stats from Round 1:

_worlds2017_inrographic_groupstage_w1_v4_00000.jpg

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
NA performing the 2nd best overall has me starting to get my hopes up.. so that likely means it'll turn out to be a fluke and they'll crash and burn now. :-/

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Day 1 of Round 2 has some pretty good games all around. Don't think there were any real blowouts.

My suggestion is focus on watching all of the GAM games... pretty awesome games overall.

Jesus fucking christ IMT what the fuck happened?

And I really didn't want to see FNC win, but the fact they pulled it off made the day much more exciting, as everyone was "in it" till the end.

I was hoping for GAM to make it, love their style and team comps. Can't believe LZ came back from over 10k down... that gave FNC an opening. FNC were gifted so much. If IMT wins vs GAM in game 1 or if GAM wins vs LZ when they had a chance, FNC would not have advanced. (technically they may have still played a tiebreaker vs IMT).

Anyway, the NA week 2 curse continues, hope this shit isn't another year of 0-10 for NA teams week 2.

LZ looks good but actually had some closer matches, I don't have much hope that a non-Korean team can win a Bo5 vs them though. They looked good but the group is also kinda weak. IMT/GAM/FNC all made tons of mistakes, sloppy games overall, which made them pretty exciting. Oriana in the tiebreaker missing every damn ultimate, wtf GAM.

FNC are so damn lucky I don't even know how this could have happened tbh

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
yea.. wow. If someone offered me 10 to 1 odds on FNC getting the #2 seed after day 1, I wouldn't have taken it. 20 to 1? Maaaybe.
That's kind of crazy. First time someone has gone 0-3 and then made it out of group.
Problem is, if they were showing any signs of potentially beating some korean teams, I'd be super happy about it. Instead, they don't seem to have a chance there and are just playing decent/well against the others.
I just want a non-korean team to win this year, don't care which country. baby steps..

At this point, that sounds like either RNG, WE, C9 or TSM, and from results so far that means, in order of likelihood
1) RNG.
then way down
2) TSM
3) WE
4) C9

Penalty

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ah, the TSM special. Every year is "their year" then they end up looking like one of the worst teams at worlds.

At least c9 can adapt on the fly.. TSM just play like shit and pray DL or bjerg can carry.

Penalty

Lord Nagafen Raider
The fucking drafting by TSM. Pick jayce then let him get totally shoved in.. pick kogmaw and have zero frontline.. put bjerg on ryze where he absolutely disappears. Its total madness.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
What a wonderful sight to wake up too. Incoming shitty E-sports drama youtube video by TSM on "muh struggle" and the team going through some useless "Korean Bootcamp" or training montage followed by some big hyped reveal in roster or coaching changes only for the same thing every year to happen.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Sad part is.. the games were absolute dog shit. Not even close. I don't know what they were thinking. Tbh, their strategy is flawed as hell and other teams abused the shit out of them.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
I don't think they got a 1st blood in worlds....(TSM); i mean holy fuck what a shit show. I usually watch all the games live/VOD on a second monitor why i play something but last night for the first time I fucking put it up in my movie theater and dedicated my full attention and just wtf, so fucking bad. I understand 1 game but when you fucking are getting exposed and butt fucked that hard repeatedly early game its time to fucking make some strategy/pick ban changes. Just /facepalm when you are at worlds trying to get into quarters and your fucking ADC flashes the fucking wrong way....and probably the worst ass beating came by a fucking 0-5 Flash Wolves haha. Sad face.....

Cloud 9 upset WRU!! Merica.......

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Also both NA teams eliminated by EU in a tie breaker, like damn. And these EU teams look so bad too. C9 gives me a little hope, I truly believe their style is more suited to international competition. They are more willing to take risks and be aggressive, which is basically what you have to do here. TSM were risk averse. Every game was the same script. Wait it out, scale up, win a team fight, win game.

They got lax and thought they could just outplay. Dumb. Especially after weak 1 where they barely eeked out their 2 wins

Penalty

Lord Nagafen Raider
Their whole psyche is pretty fucked. They put so much pressure on themselves and hype etc.. Look at doublelift shaking like a twig after their win last week.. Meanwhile most of the other teams act like its just another day at the office after a win.

You're right that they are totally afriad to take risks, always hoping that momentum will shift their way- playing completely passive every game. That type of playstyle will never win at worlds. They need a complete overhaul to how they play games. Id love to see them adopt an aggressive playstyle and hone that for an entire year, then bring it to the world stage.

Also.. I dont know if he still is, but I remember regi being all up in their shit during tournaments, dude needs to step back. It must be tilting as hell to lose a game then having to go back to their room and listen to him ree ree for an hour.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Even when they were on top in NA LCS, TSM games never looked particularly great. They just played well enough often enough basically. NA teams being knocked out by EU hurts after Rift Rivals was such a beating, especially with how lackluster all the EU teams looked for... the whole season.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
First year I haven't watched worlds but it sounds like the same old, same old for NA.

C9 has always been the only team from NA that doesn't play scared at worlds.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
final day games were all pretty good and C9 did their job, won 1 game to secure a spot in quarters. They play WE which is probably the best team they could have hoped for.

C9 looked good, even losing twice, they were good games.

SKT actually lost a game to AHQ which means nobody went undefeated in groups (I think)

EDG almost went for the miracle, they were so far ahead against SKT, but SKT pull off another comeback against them. How demoralizing for EDG. They had SKT on the ropes twice this tournament. If EDG won both, that would have been so interesting. SKT could have ended with a 3-3 record and force some tiebreakers, oh well.

Quarters look good. Still doesn't seem right that misfits and fnatic are there. BUT, I actually think MSF has a better chance against SKT than TSM would have. MSF will play with nothing to lose, TSM would have done the same old pussy shit

Edit: LZ were only team to go 6-0

Last edited:

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
I can't believe how fucking bad TSM was in the early game EVERY fucking game. They were passive in week 1, and I assumed that would be something they would focus on in their off-week.

Instead, other teams focused on that very obvious weakness of TSM, yet somehow TSM just were completely oblivious.

Parth's already stepped down. I'm assuming he's moving to some sort of managerial role like they had initially planned.
Everyone on the roster is signed until Nov 2018 or 2019, but they have to bite the bullet and make some changes. You can't have your jungler and support be mutes.

Someday I'll rewatch the matches to see if Bjergsen ever had vision to roam to botlane, but him not leaving lane much was just as big of a failing as Sven doing nothing.

AND GOOD GOD, STOP PICKING RYZE.

NA
6-3 week 1
2-9 week 2.
IMT just straight up choked. TSM yet again didn't adapt and continued their shitty passive play. I haven't watched C9 yet.

Dignitas is rumored to be out of the NALCS next year. G2 could possibly make it to NA. So, at least we have a fun offseason to look forward to in NA and EU.

edit: oh yeah, and I have a suspicion that G2 and TSM were heavy scrim partners and gave each other false positives with their passive bullshit.