Legends of Runeterra - Card game by Riot Games

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I’m an idiot. :)

Full board, opponent has 2 on board and 3 life...I can open attack and win, but no I decided I want Lee Sin on my board to put on the left on attack to kick my opponent to death, so I play him for fun. There’s 2 things I’m too dumb to realize, I have Twisted Fate on board and no card left in my deck...guess what happens next.

Twisted Fate ability activates and he plays a Destiny card, and the first one he always plays his the blue one which makes you draw...and what happens in LoR when you try to draw and your deck deck is empty? Yes you lose the game. :)

That’ll teach me...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I've been working on a MF/Sej deck and will be streaming it for the next few hours. (stream link a couple posts up).

Code:
CEBQCAQBAICAEBQRCYTS2BIBAEBQWFAWFEBQCAQBBAAQEBQSAMAQCAIHDYAA

This is a deck I started working on Day 1 but it has been poorly performing. I've made a lot of adjustments and feel like it might actually be viable now. I went from 0 LP P4 to P3 with it in a short span today.

This deck is recommended for people that love grinding it out. It's a slow deck which has a pretty fantastic late game - I almost always win against Maokai/Naut, even after getting "Decked". Aggro can be an issue as usual, but I included Make it Rain, 3x Avalanche, freezes and Parrrley to get through it as best we can. Also the heal from courier has saved me already.

Ezreal decks SHOULD beat this deck in most cases but sometimes they won't be able to keep up with your beefy board.

Key for the deck is try to work out a way to trigger the Plunder on Citrus whenever you have him in hand, you will need some kind of board state, but if you work it right the heal & rally can take control.

If that fails you still have a super late game with The Tuskraider, making everything you draw be a 10+ attack unit, if you play 2x Tuskraider, that's even more fun.

To achieve Plunder, you have MF, Parrley, Make it Rain, and Overwhelm from Sej and MF(if leveled)

Jaull Hunters gets you some crazy Sea Monster value too, love this card.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
OK So that MF/Sej deck can be fun but horribly inconsistent. If you want to climb, I transitioned to this after a bad loss streak and ranked back up.

Gangplank / Swain Aggro deck
CEBQGAQDAQDQQAYBAMPCKKAEAIDBEHJAFUBQCAQDAMAQCAYMAIBAMJRRAIAQEAYBAEBAMAQ

If you want to see it in action, fast game to close the night. Had leveled up Swain & GP on board at Turn 7.
I played into an Avalanche, after dropping a unit I just remembered, but still managed to pull it out.

I spent 9k shards to craft the Swains but damn was it worth. This guy is a beast and fun as hell to play. The interactions are so unique and require a bit of planning. GP has great synergy with him too since in this deck you typically do damage on both player's turns... allowing GP to level up insanely fast.

I'm 7-1 in the last 8 games ~88% WR
The 1 loss was to an Aggro deck that drew into 3x Get Excited and 1x Mystic shot to exact Lethal me once I was about to finish him

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
About Legends of Runeterra:

It sits in the sweetspot between MTG and Hearthstone mechanically. It's managed to include a lot of the missing gameplay MTG has compared to Hearthstone without the tedium of MTG.

You can react to spells cast like in MTG but you can't react to creatures and some abilities, so you get interaction but you don't get oppressive counterplay or waiting after each "phase" like in MTG.

You have complex deck building like in MTG with you being able to have 1 or 2 mechanically different classes of card in your deck, but there's no RNG mana base to build. Currently there's 7 classes.

It takes advantage of being electronic with the hero cards that can level up and change duplicates in hand into spells to a much greater degree than hearthstone does. You are limited to 6 (and you start with a bunch) so they form a huge part of deck building.

There's a few genius ways to balance who goes first and second with spell mana allowing you to use upto 3 unused mana to play spells (not creatures) the next turn, and by allowing you to play cards and regen all of your mana during your opponents turn. I've never felt disadvantaged going first or second.

The way you get rewards is really fun and F2P friendly (exp after each battle unlocks free packs of various types for a region of your choice) and the draft mode is VASTLY superior to both MTG and Hearthstone with you choosing themed groups of cards rather than singles, so you always have a real deck.

I haven't even talked about half the things I like.

I think it's better than MTG but it's objectively better than Hearthstone in every way.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Having a lot of fun with Zed/Fiora/Solitary Monk, skipping the first two turns giving one of them +3/+3 on Turn 3 with that spell that only works if you have one unit.

So you have a giant elusive, double damage quick attack or enough health to taunt their 1/1s for the alternate win condition.

Zed is crazy, Solitary Monk is decent and I actually got one Fiora kill lol.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
OK So that MF/Sej deck can be fun but horribly inconsistent. If you want to climb, I transitioned to this after a bad loss streak and ranked back up.

Gangplank / Swain Aggro deck
CEBQGAQDAQDQQAYBAMPCKKAEAIDBEHJAFUBQCAQDAMAQCAYMAIBAMJRRAIAQEAYBAEBAMAQ

If you want to see it in action, fast game to close the night. Had leveled up Swain & GP on board at Turn 7.
I played into an Avalanche, after dropping a unit I just remembered, but still managed to pull it out.

I spent 9k shards to craft the Swains but damn was it worth. This guy is a beast and fun as hell to play. The interactions are so unique and require a bit of planning. GP has great synergy with him too since in this deck you typically do damage on both player's turns... allowing GP to level up insanely fast.

I'm 7-1 in the last 8 games ~88% WR
The 1 loss was to an Aggro deck that drew into 3x Get Excited and 1x Mystic shot to exact Lethal me once I was about to finish him

I really like that deck. Tons of good interactions. I'll adjust based off the cards I have but probably my favorite deck you've made so far.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have also enjoyed the deck. It takes some playing to understand all the angles it provides and deciding when to just hit the nexus or when to hold. It is not an easy deck to pilot but it rewards the player that takes the time to learn it.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I will 2nd the notion that LOR is levels above Hearthstone in game play and enjoyment. Considerably less random with a good built in response system that does not currently overdo Counterspells and Discard from hand effects.

For me, it is better than MTG. I never liked the Mana system. I understood how it developed and why it was never changed. I just was never a fan of having occasional games where because of random shuffling, my cat could have played the game with equal skill. I feel that LOR is as close as possible to a game that allows great strategy with a limit to randomness. I have had my share of frustrating games but often I have made the mistake. There are of course games where a type of deck is just strong verse certain other types. I am not sure if there is anything that could be done for that.

LOR has my full attention unless it deviates from its current model of play.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Nice, I'm still making small tweaks but I'm like perma stuck in plat3, the climb has been rough lol. I feel like once you're past the IV rank, no matter what tier, you find all the tryhards lol

Glad you guys liked it, I get deck ideas after getting crushed by something but I haven't net decked yet.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I'll third that LoR is the best CCG on the market. Their designers have done a fantastic job balancing and they are always active. The only weakness it had was a lack of cards which was just fixed. You don't lose to absolute random luck nearly as much as the others. Their nerfs don't completely destroy a card but it is much less likely to dominate. When you look at the quality of design and testing, it's not even close to comparable. Hearthstone doesn't test and MtG ignores testing for PWs. You won't be sitting for month(s) waiting for a nerf to balance the game again. I could go on and on but I still play MtG. It's just not top dog.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Plus LoR is pretty easy on the pocket book and not stingy in giving you cards or ways to get them. Ive been playing for less than a few weeks and have many decks and powerful cards that I chose myself to purchase from their wild card system.At least its this way so far. Who knows how greedy they get in the future. Its why I always hated hearthstone. Too fucking greedy and you have to spend money to keep up with the meta. But its been a few years since I played Hearthstone, but I doubt this changed.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
That was fun, steal Sumpwork Map from my opponent’s deck and use it on a levelled up Swain. :)

Yeah LoR is probably the best CCG in my opinion, it takes the best from HS and MtG to become it’s own thing. It has a fantastic business model, which is mostly built around cosmetics which are pretty nice and decently priced which means they can be pretty generous with giving out cards via the region tracks, the weekly vaults, and with the wildcard you get the cards you want rather than random card so it’s very easy to target a deck you want and get it pretty quickly for free.

• 1Solidarity

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Alright, late night crazy times, had to try a new deck out, might suck, but on a 3 game win streak, gotta sleep now.

Unyielding + Karma abuse:
CECACAQCAYAQEAAJAMAQAHJLGICACARJGE2TSBABAEACOAIBAI3QEAQCAUEQEAQAAMCQCAIBAICA

I originally wanted a Lee deck and it morphed into this. I got Karma + Lee to both have Unyielding and it was funny as hell.
It's heavily minion based since Ionia/Demacia have weak AoE to deal with Aggro and such, but if you get to late game and Unyielding Karma (1st priority) and Lee (2nd priority) you basically win. 2x Spells minimum, Lee always has challenge+barrier (barried wont matter if he's unyielding). Karma is really the key though since Lee can't be "activated" without her spells. Another champ might be better than Lee in this regard.

Deep Meditation helps a lot in getting you Unyielding, since there are few spells (15).

The way I approached it is try to play Karma if you know for certain she can't be killed AND next turn you'll have 8 mana... OR play her with Deny backup AND next turn you have 8 mana. If they kill Karma you're screwed. If you need to wait for 10 mana + 3 spell mana to do the combo, then that's what needs to happen.

You can still win without the combo since there are a lot of bears and early shit in the deck too, but in most cases you'll need to close it out with Karma I think.

Again, this deck might lose you LP. I'll try it more tomorrow.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Could we have some sort of FoH Tournament for this?

But not do the Hearthstone shit where you need 3 decks you rotate through, I couldn't enter any Hearthstone tournaments F2P as I only have enough cards to make one good deck.

I feel like the deck building is complex enough to have a MTG style single deck best of three.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I'd be in for a tournament at some point, seems like we might only have 4-5 people here that are playing though? idk.

Just opened Day 7 and got 2x Twisted Fate since I own Ashe... with that, I'm only missing 2x Maokai, 1x Twisted Fate and 1x Vi to own every Champion.... that was fast.

• 1WTF

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
It would appear that a levelled up Swain with two Citybreaker on board is pretty annoying for an opponent that can’t remove the Citybreakers. Having your 2 strongest units being stunned at beginning of each round is not fun. I’m just glad that I was the one with Swain. :)

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
So I was banging my head against the wall trying to make Mageseekers work. Got to 1 game before D4 twice and then fell back both times. Just a grindy low WR deck, but was working for me for a while so I figured I could make it to D4 with it. Played maybe 100 games with it and ended with a 49% WR.

Went Mao/Naut, first 5 games or so was ~30% WR but ended strong, pulled it up to a 54% WR and went on a 9-1 record in my last 10 to get D4.

Now to play a little less and have more fun before Masters push :D

I used this version of Mao/Naut if anyone interested:
CEBQCAQFBIBACBJIGYDAEBQ5EUTS6NJYAMAQEBRMAIBAKBYIAIAQKHJLAIAQEBQ6AIAQKDYZ

It does have a little bit of a learning curve with matchups. Also for some reason my Naut would always be in my last 5 cards, not sure why :D

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I hate it when I forget to play around what should be an obvious play from my opponent. For example tonight I stupidly forgot about judgement which should always be on your mind against Demacia with 8 mana left, but no I want all in and got my whole board wipe out. I still won but it was a dumb move.

It was‘t a good night, went 1-4. Aside from that judgement I thought I played well enough, but got either some awful draw or opponent got good ones rather than being outplayed.

• 1Like