Legends of Runeterra - Card game by Riot Games

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
GANGPLANK

Gangplank blows up the board with powder keg chaos. Legends of Runeterra on Twitter

9kkiir2or6v41.png

Not sure how to feel about this, he does a lot of chip damage to nexus if you get him running but his support cards are very understatted.

Without the level up GP gives you 1 powder keg which dissapears after you deal damage.

Since they intend kegs to stack, there must be more support.

Once GP is leveled he is basically dealing 2AOE damage to all enemies + nexus in attack, which is basically what Anivia does when enlightened. So it's strong for sure, just without the rebirth insurance. But we all know there are many ways to bring champions back.

He hinges on how fast you can achieve his level up. Strong champion that requires some weak support cards, gotta see what else provides kegs.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Lots of reveals, new sets no matter the game is always exciting.

Once again, a champion that is somewhat hard to evaluate without the whole set. He looks like he might have some interesting possibilities but it will depend on cards that support him.

The powder keg is pretty interesting but it has the Vulnerable keyword making it pretty...well vulnerable. That said it can be pretty strong, especially with AOE.

Parley is not great in my opinion, first it's slow and not a great effect.

Jagged Butcher seems pretty strong for a 1 drop, decent statline and decent effect.

Deadway Deckhand is a situational card. Good for what it does, but not great.

Petty Officer seems pretty bad, pretty bad stats and effect seem weak for its cost.

Bilgerwater seems to be all over the place right now, but with so few cards, it's hard to get the full picture.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Twisted Fate:

a85ybbwlq9v41.png

TF: 2/2 body for 4 mana that needs to SEE you draw 8 cards to level up. Must be a joke. Good luck meeting that condition. Blue card helps you get there, and you probably choose this card more often than not on his initial play as a 2/2. You would Red card if against Aggro, nice board sweep in that case, and Gold Card will be used more once he's leveled, or in a pinch... or if you are running a TF/Yasuo deck and TF is a support card for Yas.

His supporting cast draws you cards but adds Fleeting to them, yuck. So clearly you can rush his level up with these, but you might vaporize some cards in the process.

Black Market Merchant is the most interesting and likely will see play in a lot of different Bilgewater decks. The biggest question is does he STEAL the card from the enemy, or does he draw you a COPY of the card?

Brash Gambler seems primed for a Jinx deck. Probably too expensive, but Augmented Experimenter sees play at 6 mana. This card has a stronger body, doesn't do the damage, doesn't fully discard, but he can give you a lot of gas. So each round you Draw 2 initially, use them to get Jinx Rocket, attack, draw 2 more with this guy, etc.

Conclusion: TF seems to be a support champion that will eat up a removal card, he's similar to Elise in that he's initially low impact and will die almost immediately... but if you get his Level Up, he can become a real nuisance.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Damn they are releasing fast.

Twisted Fate, too hard to level. That aside it's a great card, the flexibility that the 3 Destiny Cards offer is pretty strong, and all 3 are good at what they do. Blue helps his level up condition, and his spell card of Pick a Card also helps leveling him up which is good. Once leveled up he's going to be really annoying though. I really like him the concept of this Champion, but damn that level up condition.

Pick a Card, I wonder if this is draw 3 fleeting instead of your regular draw, or you draw your normal 1 card, then 3 fleeting. Obviously fleeting is annoying and limiting, but would probably be good in a discard deck. If you have a Rummage in hand, and play Pick a Card, that gives you lot of flexibility the next round, either you can make a good play with the Fleeting cards, or you use them for Rummage for a chance at a better hand. The issue would be a lot of mana to draw 5...but would go a long way to level up Twisted Fate. The card offers flexibility, but either needs to be played late in the game when you have mana to support playing 3 fleeting, or at least 2 of them, or in a deck with a lot of low cost cards.

Pool Shark seems weak, it's a weird 1 drop which I don't think you want to play in turn 1, too much risk of drawing something you won't able to play in the next turn, again might be mitigated in a deck with a lot of low cost card. In late game, drawing cards is always good and this is a 1 mana draw 1...so kinda ok. Not sure.

Black Market Merchant, interesting card. Ravishing Ravishing , the wording seems to imply that yes you would steal the card as it says you draw 1 which is pretty big...first you remove a card from opponent's deck which he might need, 2nd it's going to be discounted by 1 mana which is pretty good. Obviously it may be a card that won't provide much value to your deck strategy. I think this will see play.

Brash Gambler is a nice draw generator with a decent enough body to probably survive a few round, you can't play it on turn 4 and attack with it though as you'll lose 2 cards, You can play it on defense and use it to block.

A lot of the draw fleeting cards seem very risky, it's a cool concept, but most card feels like they can't really be played on curve which feels bad to me, but other than that they seem ok, like they have decent stats for their cost considering you're drawing cards with them.

Twisted Fate is a cool card, looks really fun but his leveling condition might just be too hard.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I usually check in with Mogwai's opinion on all the card releases. He's echoed a LOT of our comments.
He loves Naut, disappointed with GP, and he loves TF.

Although he loves TF he also echoes our concern that he's likely to be more of a support that rarely sees a level up, but if he is leveled he's really powerful.

Pool Shark = He claims is Super strong for aggro decks, which I can agree
Brash Gambler = also thinks it could slot in with Jinx
Black Market Merchant = Fun card

Today should be Miss Fortune + Patch Notes + Final Cards released
Tomorrow we get the cards!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Patch Notes:

Card sites have all the cards now:

A really huge gameplay change:

Playing Units on Full Boards
  • Having a full board of 6 units no longer prevents you from playing additional units—you may now do so and select a current unit to be Obliterated, with your new unit replacing it.
    • This won't trigger Last Breath effects, because the replaced unit doesn’t die.
    • If the new unit you played makes more units after being summoned, those will still "overflow" and be Obliterated—you can't make more space beyond the unit you're replacing. (You can also still play spells that generate units on a full board, but they’ll “overflow” too, so maybe don’t do that!)
We made this change so that longer games will retain more interesting decisions even late into the game when boards are filling up. We want you to be able to keep playing the sweet units you draw, if you want to, and until this patch, you were essentially locked out if you had a full board of 6 units—you couldn't play any more from your hand. Now, you can replace one of your units on a full board with the new one played from hand—choose the one you want to replace and it gets Obliterated.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Damn this is exciting.

About the patch notes:

MOBILE at last, I can't wait. This will increase my playtime which has been very little recently as I hate playing on PC, CCG are a timewaster for me so if I have time to sit at the PC I will be playing a "real" game. I prefer iPad for CCG, while watching sports, at work during break or a few games in bed before going to sleep.

Playing units on full board, that's a pretty cool change. It's impact will be limited but significant at the same time. What I mean by that is that having a full board where you want to Obliterate a card isn't something that happens all that often. Usually you will want to make use of the cards on board rather than just get rid of them with little to no benefit except playing a more powerful card. It will be impactful though because when you do want to do that, it will probably be for a big move. Also prevent the strategy of a player not clearing a weak board to prevent other player from playing which happen sometimes. It's a cool idea, I like it.

Region road update is pretty cool, I was wondering how they would handle that for those that had completed them. I like it, it's a fun system to acquire cards.

New card backs is nice customization option, emotes leave me indifferent though. What I do like and been wanting since day 1 is for per deck loadout for board and guardians. Like when I play Freljord I like having the ice board, but it was annoying to switch them every time you switched deck, so glad to see them doing this finally and adding card back and emotes in the deck load out.

8 new archtypes in expeditions is very cool, can't wait to play some more as I love the mode.

All in all, some real nice features added and updated.

Now for the Miss Fortune Reveal:

Miss Fortune looks fucking cool. The biggest thing about her effect is that she doesn't need to attack, so she's going be a little easier to level, but seeing you attack 4 times on 3/3 might a bit tricky, will work well with Scouts though. I'm not sure if her effect will work with Powder Kegs if it does it could be quite powerful. I like her.

Double Up, expensive was my first thought and counterable my second, when the 4 damage to nexus is triggered it's a good card, but if it gets countered it's going to be pretty bad awful.

Crackshot Corsair, I think it might work in Plunder decks as a way to trigger the effect, but since it requires allies attacking that means that whatever you summon won't be able to attack this turn, again scouts might make this a good card. Attack with a scout, deal 1 damage to nexus, trigger Plunder, summon other cards, attack again with units who activated their plunder effect. Might see play, but otherwise weak.

Prowling Cutthroat, elusive and fearsome on a 1/1 unit? Again, this might work well as a Plunder trigger because how do you block it, you need elusive but a lot of elusive have low attack and won't be able to block it. I see this as very specialized, and not necessary very good overall.

The Syren, Scout makes it interesting as you can attack with it and your spell doe extra damage, than attack again with what might be a weaker board because of the extra reach that your damage spells had while it was attacking. I don't how good it will be but I think it might see some play.

Make it Rain, RNG but done as well as possible I guess since the 3 different enemies remove a lot of the RNG aspect, won't see 3 hits on same target, also will be wasted sometimes if you need to play it when opponent has less than 3 enemies. It will work well with Powder Kegs though. I think card like these are strengthening the Powder Keg and Gangplank a bit. We'll see.

Pretty good reveal.

New cards from the complete set reveal, not every card, just a few that caught my attention. These are not necessary the best, but seem interesting at first glance without a complete view of their place in the game.

Ye Been Warned.png

This looks like a pretty good card, it does 2 things...make a enemy Vulnerable which is a very strong effect on it's own, and then draw a card if the target dies. In my opinion this will trigger most of the time since it gives you the option of which of your attacker will Challenge the Vulnerable card giving you an advantage, opponent cannot kill it's own unit to prevent the effect. Even if the draw effect doesn't happen it will be good, as it will most likely force your opponent to respond, and most likely with a card that cost more than 1 mana which will likely end up in a favorable trade for you. I think even if it's slow, it's still good.

Hired Gun.png

This looks pretty good too, a 2/3 for 2 is a good card and once again Vulnerable is a very strong keyword. This should see play.

More Powder.png

We were wondering what kind of support Powder Kegs would get, it's might be decent depending on how good the Powder Kegs mechanics end up being.

Pilfered Goods.png

Ok, we're on the Mill train now, it's pretty good card. Draw 1 for 2 is ok, draw 2 is awesome. Now it denies cards to your opponent which can affect their strategy a lot, but gives you cards that might not work well for you.

Sleight of Hand.png

Damn, this is slow and requires Plunder but draw a card from enemy hand not sure how good this will be but it's going to be toxic.

Island Navigator.png

This is interesting. Stats are weak but you'll get a 1 mana scout from any faction so most likely going to be decent stats over 2 bodies...it says "create" though so you won't get the summoned effect on the other card. 2 scouts for 4 mana could be pretty strong.

Yordle Grifter.png

Bilgerwater allegiance, weak stats but potentially gives you 2 cards, 1 warning shot and 1 drawn from enemy. Synergize with Plunder with the Warning Shot, and with Twisted Fate with the draw mechanic. I think it will be played, love the art on it.

Sheriff Lariette Rose.png

Insane effect, but card is slow and statline isn't great but effect is so good.

Mind Meld.png

Ok very costly, and slow speed but pretty crazy. It won't see tons of play, and most likely only per deck. It's going to be played similar to ruination as a way to clear your opponent board since your units are likely to be much bigger than theirs at that point of the game, and they'll be force to block or they'll die. If you have a units with Overwhelm this might be a OTK.

Final early thoughts on the entire set.

Two things I dislike in this set, first it introduces a lot of RNG but for the most part it's very limited and focused RNG...but still RNG which is one thing I liked about LoR versus HS. It's still nowhere near as bad as HS though. The second thing is it introduce limited Mill mechanics which I totally despise, but it's fairly limited. It's not going to be game breaking by any means because overall there isn't a lot of both things, but it's a direction I'm not happy to see the game take.

As for the rest, I think it looks like a pretty exciting sets. When looking at the set overall, there are a lot of Slow spells in the set especially for Bilgewater region, also a lot of the new Heroes seem to be very late game oriented, and while there is support for aggro decks, it seem they've introduce a lot of counters against it. I feel they want to slow the game down a bit which isn't necessary a bad thing.

Bilgewater looks fun, it has a lot of totally weird card that I think will be fun to play even if not competitive. There's going to be months of meta shifting happening, I'm hoping that Riot continues to make balance adjustment to the game at the pace they've been doing if necessary even if the game is now officially going to be "Live". So far, I think this is the best CCG out there, good pacing, good interaction, tons of variety and Riot has been awesome at keeping things fresh. Things are looking good I think. :)

• 2Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Damn this is exciting.

About the patch notes:

MOBILE at last, I can't wait. This will increase my playtime which has been very little recently as I hate playing on PC, CCG are a timewaster for me so if I have time to sit at the PC I will be playing a "real" game. I prefer iPad for CCG, while watching sports, at work during break or a few games in bed before going to sleep.

Playing units on full board, that's a pretty cool change. It's impact will be limited but significant at the same time. What I mean by that is that having a full board where you want to Obliterate a card isn't something that happens all that often. Usually you will want to make use of the cards on board rather than just get rid of them with little to no benefit except playing a more powerful card. It will be impactful though because when you do want to do that, it will probably be for a big move. Also prevent the strategy of a player not clearing a weak board to prevent other player from playing which happen sometimes. It's a cool idea, I like it.

Region road update is pretty cool, I was wondering how they would handle that for those that had completed them. I like it, it's a fun system to acquire cards.

New card backs is nice customization option, emotes leave me indifferent though. What I do like and been wanting since day 1 is for per deck loadout for board and guardians. Like when I play Freljord I like having the ice board, but it was annoying to switch them every time you switched deck, so glad to see them doing this finally and adding card back and emotes in the deck load out.

8 new archtypes in expeditions is very cool, can't wait to play some more as I love the mode.

All in all, some real nice features added and updated.

Now for the Miss Fortune Reveal:

Miss Fortune looks fucking cool. The biggest thing about her effect is that she doesn't need to attack, so she's going be a little easier to level, but seeing you attack 4 times on 3/3 might a bit tricky, will work well with Scouts though. I'm not sure if her effect will work with Powder Kegs if it does it could be quite powerful. I like her.

Double Up, expensive was my first thought and counterable my second, when the 4 damage to nexus is triggered it's a good card, but if it gets countered it's going to be pretty bad awful.

Crackshot Corsair, I think it might work in Plunder decks as a way to trigger the effect, but since it requires allies attacking that means that whatever you summon won't be able to attack this turn, again scouts might make this a good card. Attack with a scout, deal 1 damage to nexus, trigger Plunder, summon other cards, attack again with units who activated their plunder effect. Might see play, but otherwise weak.

Prowling Cutthroat, elusive and fearsome on a 1/1 unit? Again, this might work well as a Plunder trigger because how do you block it, you need elusive but a lot of elusive have low attack and won't be able to block it. I see this as very specialized, and not necessary very good overall.

The Syren, Scout makes it interesting as you can attack with it and your spell doe extra damage, than attack again with what might be a weaker board because of the extra reach that your damage spells had while it was attacking. I don't how good it will be but I think it might see some play.

Make it Rain, RNG but done as well as possible I guess since the 3 different enemies remove a lot of the RNG aspect, won't see 3 hits on same target, also will be wasted sometimes if you need to play it when opponent has less than 3 enemies. It will work well with Powder Kegs though. I think card like these are strengthening the Powder Keg and Gangplank a bit. We'll see.

Pretty good reveal.

New cards from the complete set reveal, not every card, just a few that caught my attention. These are not necessary the best, but seem interesting at first glance without a complete view of their place in the game.

View attachment 265855
This looks like a pretty good card, it does 2 things...make a enemy Vulnerable which is a very strong effect on it's own, and then draw a card if the target dies. In my opinion this will trigger most of the time since it gives you the option of which of your attacker will Challenge the Vulnerable card giving you an advantage, opponent cannot kill it's own unit to prevent the effect. Even if the draw effect doesn't happen it will be good, as it will most likely force your opponent to respond, and most likely with a card that cost more than 1 mana which will likely end up in a favorable trade for you. I think even if it's slow, it's still good.

View attachment 265856
This looks pretty good too, a 2/3 for 2 is a good card and once again Vulnerable is a very strong keyword. This should see play.

View attachment 265857
We were wondering what kind of support Powder Kegs would get, it's might be decent depending on how good the Powder Kegs mechanics end up being.

View attachment 265858
Ok, we're on the Mill train now, it's pretty good card. Draw 1 for 2 is ok, draw 2 is awesome. Now it denies cards to your opponent which can affect their strategy a lot, but gives you cards that might not work well for you.

View attachment 265859
Damn, this is slow and requires Plunder but draw a card from enemy hand not sure how good this will be but it's going to be toxic.

View attachment 265860
This is interesting. Stats are weak but you'll get a 1 mana scout from any faction so most likely going to be decent stats over 2 bodies...it says "create" though so you won't get the summoned effect on the other card. 2 scouts for 4 mana could be pretty strong.

View attachment 265861
Bilgerwater allegiance, weak stats but potentially gives you 2 cards, 1 warning shot and 1 drawn from enemy. Synergize with Plunder with the Warning Shot, and with Twisted Fate with the draw mechanic. I think it will be played, love the art on it.

View attachment 265862
Insane effect, but card is slow and statline isn't great but effect is so good.

View attachment 265863

Ok very costly, and slow speed but pretty crazy. It won't see tons of play, and most likely only per deck. It's going to be played similar to ruination as a way to clear your opponent board since your units are likely to be much bigger than theirs at that point of the game, and they'll be force to block or they'll die. If you have a units with Overwhelm this might be a OTK.

Final early thoughts on the entire set.

Two things I dislike in this set, first it introduces a lot of RNG but for the most part it's very limited and focused RNG...but still RNG which is one thing I liked about LoR versus HS. It's still nowhere near as bad as HS though. The second thing is it introduce limited Mill mechanics which I totally despise, but it's fairly limited. It's not going to be game breaking by any means because overall there isn't a lot of both things, but it's a direction I'm not happy to see the game take.

As for the rest, I think it looks like a pretty exciting sets. When looking at the set overall, there are a lot of Slow spells in the set especially for Bilgewater region, also a lot of the new Heroes seem to be very late game oriented, and while there is support for aggro decks, it seem they've introduce a lot of counters against it. I feel they want to slow the game down a bit which isn't necessary a bad thing.

Bilgewater looks fun, it has a lot of totally weird card that I think will be fun to play even if not competitive. There's going to be months of meta shifting happening, I'm hoping that Riot continues to make balance adjustment to the game at the pace they've been doing if necessary even if the game is now officially going to be "Live". So far, I think this is the best CCG out there, good pacing, good interaction, tons of variety and Riot has been awesome at keeping things fresh. Things are looking good I think. :)

I read most of this..

Anyway, time to theorycraft and try them out tomorrow. I'm currently planning to try out a plunder/thief deck and a naut/mao deck.

Working on lists now, thief almost builds itself. Stealing cards from the opponent is always fun.

Naut list will be tricky since there's about 1
100 cards id want in it

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Hey, imma shill for LOR a sec here. If you're out of the loop and haven't checked in that thread, LOR goes full release today and Mobile client will be out in the next 24hours or so. A new "expansion" with 120+ cards comes with the full release. Lots of exciting new cards are otw. I won't spam this thread with any of the fine details, go to the LOR thread if you're interested.

As a HS player for years with a collection in the $1000s, like most of you, LOR has brought back that card game excitement for me and I've been playing it on the mobile (singapore version) for months. It's SUPER smooth compared to HS. The Meta is extremely varied, even though there are plenty of netdecks, there is a ton of variety. If you haven't checked out LOR since 2-3 months ago, or ever, I highly recommend giving it a try now that it's entering full release. I've been Masters (highest tier) in LOR for a while now and I really have very minimal complaints with the Meta.

I expect we'll see a spike on Twitch streams today/this week, so should be able to check out some decent streams if you're interested & don't want to DL it yet.

• 2Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Convince my friends to switch games and you'll have my interest. Hearthstone is like Facebook for my casual gaming friends at this point.

What does LoR offer as an improvement over HS?

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
One of my first decks I'll be trying:

https://lor.mobalytics.gg/decks/bqjkq75kogmfk7ev3n70
CEBACAIED4FQEBQLBUKBMHZAEEYTUPB6AEAQEBQDAEBAEBQCB4

Miss Fortune / Gangplank Thief Deck:

I am really loving the look of this deck, hopefully it pans out in actual play. But I've perused this list numerous times and just feel good about it.

My "Core" were the Thief cards. Every card that can draw from the enemy deck is included. I just love this type of resource accumulation. It can lead to high variance (and less consistent) games, but it's fun as hell and gives you some wild games.

The Core:
Pilfered Goods:
Draw 2 cards at Burst speed from the opponent's deck, crazy value.

Strong Arm: Take a "Follower" off the board and put them into your hand, can be ally or enemy unit. Good to remove a serious threat. Only included 2x this because it's 6 mana, but remember spell mana helps use this early.

Black Market Merchant: 2 mana draw a card from the enemy & useful passive effect, especially if you can stack this guy.

Yordle Grifter: Allegiance card which is why this deck is almost mono-Bilgewater. Gain Warning Shot, awesome for triggering Plunder AND draw 1 from the enemy deck. Gain 2 cards for 1 unit. Awesome Allegiance card for this deck imo.

These 4 cards offer a TON of value and are all fairly "cheap". Spells can get away with being a little more expensive, and Grifter at 4 mana is expensive but gains you 2 resources.

Plunderers:
Plundering needs to be consistent to utilize the above core so with that in mind...

Crackshot Corsair: Same effect as MF in that whenever allies attack, deal damage to the nexus. 1-drop card makes it very likely it won't be removed for at least a couple turns, and with 9 1-drops in the deck, there's a very good chance you can pair up with other 1 drops to get that nexus damage in and then use a Pilfered Goods from Spell mana. In most cases you'll try not to attack with this card if other allies are present.

Jagged Butcher: 1 mana 3/3 if you get the Plunder effect, insane. Can get the effect turn 1 if you draw a Warning Shot. Can snowball a game early.

Prowling Cutthroat: Elusive+Fearsome means only spell removal is taking this off the board early on. Should see some decent nexus attacks.

Miss Fortune: IMO any deck that relies on Plunder should have MF. Because any additional ally can give you that nexus damage for Plunder.

Warning Shot: Required for Plunder decks imo

Statikk Shock: This is the only non-Bilgewater card. I started with Parrrley but really didn't feel happy about it. Statikk gives you some AoE removal & also can deal nexus damage & it's a fast spell & it draws a card. We all know how strong this can be. When thinking about Plunder I was torn between P&Z or Noxus. Noxus has a lot of units that can deal nexus damage, but I already have a lot of units so P&Z seems better. But due to the Allegiance card, you can't have too many. I was aiming for 3-6 of something and imo this card is probably the best option for now.

Double-Up: I know it's expensive, but I think this card is good. Potentially 12 Nexus damage from this thing, and remember it can utilize Spell Mana, can possibly cast twice in 1 round. Activates Plunder, and is a removal. Since this deck is super Low curve and intends to chip at the Nexus, I feel like this card can be warranted as a finisher. Of course, it's also a card that could be first to get cut.

Support Cards:
Gangplank: I feel like he's just an obvious choice since his level-up should be nearly guaranteed and he's a thick body on turn 5. He adds a threat and his 1 barrel/round will help amplify your abilities. Also after being leveled, he ALSO does nexus damage via a skill when attacking, as well as having Overwhelm.

Island Navigator: This card seems so strong to me and will assist in leveling up MF in a speedy fashion. 2 Scout cards for 4 mana, gives you a resource, has a thick body. Just nice imo. Also getting Fizz off her seems hilarious.

The Syren & The Dreadway: Honestly this is just to try them out. 1x each just to play with. I don't know how highly I value the boats. They are super expensive, but they Tutor & have crazy effects, so maybe it's justified.

So yea, there's a LOT of fun packed into this 1 deck imo which is why I made this extreme write-up. I'll probably spam this all day unless it flops hard out the gate, but since everyone will be trying shit, I doubt it'll be too terrible. I just love everything about this: Stealing enemy cards, boats, scouts, Miss Fortune, Gangplank. Can't wait.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
What does LoR offer as an improvement over HS?

That's a lot to unpack, you really have to play it but a few big ones:

1.) Spell Mana: Awesome mechanic that keeps games super-balanced. For the uninformed, LOR uses a mana system like HS, up to 10 total "crystals", however, there is also 3 Spell mana. You start filling these if you have Unused mana for a turn. So if you miss your 1 drop, next turn you have 1 mana + 1 spell mana. Spells utilize both crystals, allowing you to cast a 2 mana spell if you have one. This means you aren't behind right out the gate just because your opponent drew his 1 drop and you didn't. It also means some decks are built without any 1 & 2 drops at all but go for a 6 mana "Spell" on turn 3. There is no such thing as a "Coin" if you go 2nd, Spell mana keeps everything balanced and actually some decks WANT to go 2nd.

2.) React to everything: This is going to be the main point of contention, because it takes getting use to and makes the game more complex, but it is AWESOME for strategic plays. It might feel like it drags out the game because you need to hit "end turn" a lot more often than in HS, but you get used to it. Some people will be drawn away from this because they just want to play all their cards unhindered, but if you value strategy, mind-games, & outplaying your opponent, you should absolutely love this mechanic. The only thing you can't "technically" react to is a "Burst" spell, which is one of my minimal complaints - some key decks abusing Burst spells to OTK, but otherwise for every action your opponent can react. The nuance is in "baiting" your opponent to make a move first, because typically it's more advantageous to react. Also depends on the deck of course.

3.) Regions seem infinitely more flexible than Champions, as you can combine up to 2 regions whereas HS has no such concept. LOR also has NO neutral cards, so you'll never see 1 card that is literally in every deck. And the inclusion of a 7th region with this full release means even more variety. Also they seem to have more regions planned which just continues to amplify the variety the game can offer.

4.) Champions are awesome, leveling them up is awesome. The visuals are awesome. You can put up to 3 copies of ANY card (including Champions) into your deck, meaning you often draw these key cards and don't get RNG Fucked too often. Whereas in HS, your 1 key Legendary might be sitting at the bottom of your deck. Champions are packed with a load of components, if 1 exists on the board, any extra copies in your hand turn into a "Spell/Skill", which are often very useful as well. Typically you can't have 2 of the Champion in play however there are numerous cards that can get around that restriction.

5.) There are a healthy number of Aggro, Mid-Range, Control, & "other" decks all over the meta. LOR devs stated there were 26 unique "meta" decks... I don't know how accurate that is, but playing in Masters often felt like I was seeing a huge variety... but with a fair share of "meta" decks, which are often just "streamer" decks which are not necessarily S-tier.

I'll leave it there for now, really the main thing is whether you can get past the "Reacting to Everything" concept, since it certainly can be fun to chain together 10+ cards in HS with immunity, but that's the biggest tradeoff.

Edit: I have to add a 6.) The Economics: I literally am full unlock and spent $100 total, which I didn't even need to really. They are very generous with the rewards. If you unlock all the Region tracks you get almost every card you need just by playing. And you can then keep accumulating Shards (HS Dust), and Wildcards (Craft any card you want for that rarity) to be used in future sets. I have probably 100 Wildcards and 50k "Dust", so I'll be able to nearly full-unlock this next set without spending a dime.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So, why not Eternal or MTG?

How much support for grindy midrange decks in LoR? My favorite type of deck in HS is one that grinds out a board advantage overtime and eventually puts the game away. Galakrond Rogue is probably closest to this archetype right now, but it admittedly can get a bit clown fiesta with how much value it also generates that borders on control.

And I have to say, I find myself liking aggro DH. Part of that is probably due to its win rate. But I also like the consistency from tons of card draw and its ability to convincingly steal wins where other aggro decks would have gassed out.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I only like HS because its literally the only casual game I like. I'll go get LOR on my phone and see if i like it tho.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
So, why not Eternal or MTG?

How much support for grindy midrange decks in LoR? My favorite type of deck in HS is one that grinds out a board advantage overtime and eventually puts the game away. Galakrond Rogue is probably closest to this archetype right now, but it admittedly can get a bit clown fiesta with how much value it also generates that borders on control.

And I have to say, I find myself liking aggro DH. Part of that is probably due to its win rate. But I also like the consistency from tons of card draw and its ability to convincingly steal wins where other aggro decks would have gassed out.

Ok so I never got into those other card games so I can't comment. I stopped HS like a year or so ago now, maybe 2 years? Probably logged in a couple times in that span in any case. I didn't have the urge for another card game till LOR.

There are definitely grindy decks in LOR of all types (mid-range, control) and the new region is going to open up a lot more options. The new region focuses on Drawing cards from your opponent's deck, which is something I liked a lot in HS (big difference is HS copies, LOR you literally draw it out of their deck). I just posted a write up on a deck I plan to run TODAY once it's out: Legends of Runeterra - Card game by Riot Games

I also really enjoy just getting tons of random cards/value, so this deck really focuses on that. Before this expansion, support for this type of deck was more limited. There is a champion "Karma" that is the closest to it: at 10 mana she "levels up" and every spell you cast is casted again. Can lead to crazy shit, and is one of the more fun decks I like to play.... AND she is actually just strong overall and present in at least 1 S-tier deck.

I have not played the new HS expansion so I don't know what DH does really other than reading a lot of the comments here.... yes I still read this thread for some reason. What you describe: Card Draw & Stealing wins... lots of different decks have the ability to "Steal Wins". There are some powerful draw options for all styles: Aggro, Mid-Range, And Control decks. And being able to React to everything means SOMETIMES you can still pull off a win even if you're sitting at 1 health.

Hopefully this isn't too much LOR talk in here, feel free to enter the LOR thread at any time :D
I'm attempting to keep this as relevant as possible comparing to HS mechanics.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
One of my first decks I'll be trying:

https://lor.mobalytics.gg/decks/bqjkq75kogmfk7ev3n70
CEBACAIED4FQEBQLBUKBMHZAEEYTUPB6AEAQEBQDAEBAEBQCB4

Miss Fortune / Gangplank Thief Deck:

I am really loving the look of this deck, hopefully it pans out in actual play. But I've perused this list numerous times and just feel good about it.

My "Core" were the Thief cards. Every card that can draw from the enemy deck is included. I just love this type of resource accumulation. It can lead to high variance (and less consistent) games, but it's fun as hell and gives you some wild games.

The Core:
Pilfered Goods:
Draw 2 cards at Burst speed from the opponent's deck, crazy value.

Strong Arm: Take a "Follower" off the board and put them into your hand, can be ally or enemy unit. Good to remove a serious threat. Only included 2x this because it's 6 mana, but remember spell mana helps use this early.

Black Market Merchant: 2 mana draw a card from the enemy & useful passive effect, especially if you can stack this guy.

Yordle Grifter: Allegiance card which is why this deck is almost mono-Bilgewater. Gain Warning Shot, awesome for triggering Plunder AND draw 1 from the enemy deck. Gain 2 cards for 1 unit. Awesome Allegiance card for this deck imo.

These 4 cards offer a TON of value and are all fairly "cheap". Spells can get away with being a little more expensive, and Grifter at 4 mana is expensive but gains you 2 resources.

Plunderers:
Plundering needs to be consistent to utilize the above core so with that in mind...

Crackshot Corsair: Same effect as MF in that whenever allies attack, deal damage to the nexus. 1-drop card makes it very likely it won't be removed for at least a couple turns, and with 9 1-drops in the deck, there's a very good chance you can pair up with other 1 drops to get that nexus damage in and then use a Pilfered Goods from Spell mana. In most cases you'll try not to attack with this card if other allies are present.

Jagged Butcher: 1 mana 3/3 if you get the Plunder effect, insane. Can get the effect turn 1 if you draw a Warning Shot. Can snowball a game early.

Prowling Cutthroat: Elusive+Fearsome means only spell removal is taking this off the board early on. Should see some decent nexus attacks.

Miss Fortune: IMO any deck that relies on Plunder should have MF. Because any additional ally can give you that nexus damage for Plunder.

Warning Shot: Required for Plunder decks imo

Statikk Shock: This is the only non-Bilgewater card. I started with Parrrley but really didn't feel happy about it. Statikk gives you some AoE removal & also can deal nexus damage & it's a fast spell & it draws a card. We all know how strong this can be. When thinking about Plunder I was torn between P&Z or Noxus. Noxus has a lot of units that can deal nexus damage, but I already have a lot of units so P&Z seems better. But due to the Allegiance card, you can't have too many. I was aiming for 3-6 of something and imo this card is probably the best option for now.

Double-Up: I know it's expensive, but I think this card is good. Potentially 12 Nexus damage from this thing, and remember it can utilize Spell Mana, can possibly cast twice in 1 round. Activates Plunder, and is a removal. Since this deck is super Low curve and intends to chip at the Nexus, I feel like this card can be warranted as a finisher. Of course, it's also a card that could be first to get cut.

Support Cards:
Gangplank: I feel like he's just an obvious choice since his level-up should be nearly guaranteed and he's a thick body on turn 5. He adds a threat and his 1 barrel/round will help amplify your abilities. Also after being leveled, he ALSO does nexus damage via a skill when attacking, as well as having Overwhelm.

Island Navigator: This card seems so strong to me and will assist in leveling up MF in a speedy fashion. 2 Scout cards for 4 mana, gives you a resource, has a thick body. Just nice imo. Also getting Fizz off her seems hilarious.

The Syren & The Dreadway: Honestly this is just to try them out. 1x each just to play with. I don't know how highly I value the boats. They are super expensive, but they Tutor & have crazy effects, so maybe it's justified.

So yea, there's a LOT of fun packed into this 1 deck imo which is why I made this extreme write-up. I'll probably spam this all day unless it flops hard out the gate, but since everyone will be trying shit, I doubt it'll be too terrible. I just love everything about this: Stealing enemy cards, boats, scouts, Miss Fortune, Gangplank. Can't wait.

Nice deck. I will experiment as well with a variant of that and a Nautilus deck. I have about 13 champs saved up and those two decks will probably be my main focus the first week. Probably will do a Fizz or TF deck as well. TF really intrigues me.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've tried LoR a few times now, just never really sticks with me. It's been 2-3 months since my last try so maybe time to check it out again.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
OK I'm in love with the deck I posted. Playing for little over an hour and have had some amazing games. Lost to Corina deck because I missed lethal... both of us were down to 1 health at the end.

Lost to bannerman handily. Had a slow curve, tough matchup most likely always.

Lost to Naut/mao.. both of us at 1-3 cards in our decks, he kept getting rip tide and throwing my units back into my deck... since naut was on board all the dupes were always riptide. I needed 1 more steal card to mill him, I tossed too many of my cards to get into deep to play his shit. Fun match though and learned a lot of mechanics. I also stole his treasure that gives 5 free cards, got 3 good ones and 2 bad... warmother + a toss card.. obviously can't play them if I only have 5 cards in deck.

Other that those losses, I've won 5-6 against a variety of stuff, some meta decks, some trash, and players that don't seem great.

I can't see a weakness yet, need to try in ranked to figure out my weak spots..