Legends of Runeterra - Card game by Riot Games

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Tonight was rôle night I think, my 3 games were players who roped almost every turn, actually surrendered the last game mid-game with no clear winner because it pissed me off. I only play a few games a day, and this feels like such a waste of my time when most of the game is waiting for the other player to do something. I understand taking your time sometimes, but every turn especially when there is no play is just annoying.

/rant off

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Tonight was rôle night I think, my 3 games were players who roped almost every turn, actually surrendered the last game mid-game with no clear winner because it pissed me off. I only play a few games a day, and this feels like such a waste of my time when most of the game is waiting for the other player to do something. I understand taking your time sometimes, but every turn especially when there is no play is just annoying.

/rant off

I don't run into ropers often but yea, when I do it is easily the most annoying thing ever. Even if someone disconnects it just seems like the timers take way too long. I really hope they adjust it in some way. You can easily make a game take 3-4X longer than it should just by roping everything.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
So I had a quest to play Last Breath units. I didn’t have a deck to really do this quest, and luckily Mogwai had posted a video of a deck with that theme yesterday which looks like fun, so I made it.

The deck is a championless Undying deck, now the biggest problem these decks usually have is they can’t block, but I think this particular variant you play a lot of cards that give a unit Vulnerable which allows you to use your Undying to “challenge” your opponent‘s unit and kill them, and grow your Undying. It’s surprisingly efficient, and since it’s shadow isle you get a lot of healing.

I went 4-1 this morning with it, my only loss was to an elusive aggro deck that curved out perfectly and even the. It was a very close game.

Fun deck, here’s the code if anyone is interested...not my deck it’s Mogwai.

CEBAEAQGAURQOAIFBMNCAKJQGE5AEAQCAYARCAYBAUOSQNQBAMAQKDYZHE

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
So I had a quest to play Last Breath units. I didn’t have a deck to really do this quest, and luckily Mogwai had posted a video of a deck with that theme yesterday which looks like fun, so I made it.

The deck is a championless Undying deck, now the biggest problem these decks usually have is they can’t block, but I think this particular variant you play a lot of cards that give a unit Vulnerable which allows you to use your Undying to “challenge” your opponent‘s unit and kill them, and grow your Undying. It’s surprisingly efficient, and since it’s shadow isle you get a lot of healing.

I went 4-1 this morning with it, my only loss was to an elusive aggro deck that curved out perfectly and even the. It was a very close game.

Fun deck, here’s the code if anyone is interested...not my deck it’s Mogwai.

CEBAEAQGAURQOAIFBMNCAKJQGE5AEAQCAYARCAYBAUOSQNQBAMAQKDYZHE

I need to try that list, I saw him streaming it 2 days ago. I was playing his Thresh/Darius list that he went 10-0 with yesterday. I didn't go undefeated, but it was ok. Sometimes feels clunky, Mogwai had a bit of luck on his side to go undefeated.

I really dumpstered my rating playing a bunch of different stuff. Slowly climbing back up now with Deep again.

I am seeing a LOT of MF/Sejuani. I was trying it, fun deck, probably close to S tier. The only card draw is plundering opponent deck so sometimes you never hit YOUR key cards.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I hope Unyielding Spirit gets removed from the game, honestly I’m on the verge on quitting the game because of Unyielding Fiora. Sure if I’m playing Ionia and have Will of Ionia it’s not an issue but otherwise it’s just not tucking fun. I don’t understand how that card could get past their testing and noone realizing just how unfun it is.

• 1Like

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I hope Unyielding Spirit gets removed from the game, honestly I’m on the verge on quitting the game because of Unyielding Fiora. Sure if I’m playing Ionia and have Will of Ionia it’s not an issue but otherwise it’s just not tucking fun. I don’t understand how that card could get past their testing and noone realizing just how unfun it is.

I play Nox/Freljord and when that card gets dropped, I basically have to pray I have enough burn/Overwhelm to close out the game or I'm just dead.

I think the card would be fine if it actually came out on Round 8, but because of how spell mana works it's getting played on Round 5 which is absolutely cancerous.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
It's too rampant. Needs higher cost for sure and maybe not a Burst spell. I did have a nice win against an opponent with 2 Unyielding units, I had Sejuani/MF both leveled up which shut down his entire board, and overwhelmed to win.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Dive deck can handle it pretty well. The Obliterate effect works on it. I also had a game where Nautilus was down in play and I was holding him in hand. Putting the target back into their deck fixed the problem. It is very powerful and needs to be addressed some.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
The Dive deck can handle it pretty well. The Obliterate effect works on it. I also had a game where Nautilus was down in play and I was holding him in hand. Putting the target back into their deck fixed the problem. It is very powerful and needs to be addressed some.
Yep great deck for it but sometimes unyielding fiora still gets out before you find an answer and it's not too difficult for them to counter the devourer.. lots of buffs + single combat. Riptide comes late due to needing Naut on board. But at least the deck has a chance. Unyielding isn't auto win by any means but it always feels bad when it drops. The worst is if it's on radiant guardian and you don't have a riptide / will / purify. You're almost never punching through. I've been able to get around it with leveled up Sejuani but it's a struggle.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I agree that Unyielding isn't auto-win, but it's simply not fun to play against. The issue is there are too few counters to it and for most decks, once it is played the game is pretty often going to be a loss. The card is a problem, but the card on Fiora is the real major issue because of Fiora's win condition.

A mana increase from 8 to 10 might help because Unyielding coming 2 turns later gives you more time to kill Fiora, or your opponent. It would also be a huge tempo loss, as you could play 2-3 cards easily and gain a huge board advantage where the Unyielding Fiora might not be an issue anymore. The problem remains that once played, it's not fun to deal with.

I'd prefer to see it nerfed so it cannot be cast on Champions, the card would still be a problem but much less since Followers aren't generally as impactful as Champions, it would also add a counter in Purify which cannot be used on Champions.

Another option would be to remove the "I cannot die" part, and just essentially be a permanent Barrier which would probably require to adjust it's cost a bit, this would add a few more counters like Culling Strike if the target is under 3 health, or Noxian Guillotine is the target was damaged before Unyielding was applied to it, or Rimefang Wolf if you Frostbite it, or cards like Reckoning, Vengeance, Rhasa, Ruination or She Who Wanders if their conditions are met. As I said, an adjustment to the cost would be required.

Another option I saw suggested somewhere was to make it last for a set number of turns...for example. "Grant an ally "For the next 3 turns I can't take damage or die" with a cost adjustment that's appropriate. This would allow you to hopefully stall a few turns to survive which would probably be an interesting few turns with a lot of interactions.

In any case the cards needs a serious look at. We'll know in a few hours.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Tweet with quick video but full patch notes not on the site yet:

Changes to Grizzled Ranger & Boomcrew Rookie… and also Slotbot & Vladimir? See what’s new in Patch 1.2.

Check out the full patch notes at Legends of Runeterra Legends of Runeterra on Twitter

Text mentions grizzled ranger is changed, isn't shown in video. Boomcrew & rearguard each lose 1 health. Shen/vlad/hec all get a buff.

Let's hope the patch notes are a lot more extensive

Someone must have got a preview of the patch notes, here's an info graphic:

XzegmXc.jpg

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
The changes seem to hit almost everything, not unyielding or will of ionia or ezreal.. but karma is hit, bears, vi, burn.

Tavern keeper seems decent now, some more challenger units, stand alone can't be played turn 3 anymore on fiora/zed/monk.

I really can't believe greathorn is a 5/5 now, makes remembrance better.

Definitely could see some Vlad decks now. That drain will be nuts.

Brood and Deep meditation rightfully hit. Although with slower brood and vi nerf, that might mean Corina decks become B tier.. they already have been rarely played in recent weeks.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
The Shen change is pretty significant. He's looking like a good contender for deck slots now. (You can even play him just for his stat line in expeditions, though it's too bad Riposte has been removed from some archetypes).

I disagree with the Vi change. I think Riot misunderstands why Vi is being run in these Demacia decks. This makes her weaker in Vi-focused decks that are actually trying to use her leveled ability multiple times but doesn't really change her use in the Demacia decks where she's just being played as a massive challenger.

The Rearguard change is... unexpected, and maybe too harsh. The only way he gets in now is if your opponent can't block? I don't like it. For 1 more mana, you have Academy Prodigy in P&Z which has the same stat line plus Quick Attack and the ability to block. Rearguard also can't be used as a Transfusion or Demolitionist target now, unless you're okay with losing him. There had to have been a better place to make this nerf.

I think Grizzled Ranger's nerf wasn't harsh enough. A 2/1 (let alone 3/1) Scout that summons a 3/4 on death still sees play in every single Demacia deck. The card needs an overhaul.

Brood Awakening change is welcome, that card should have never been 5 mana lol.

I personally think Boomcrew Rookie should have been a 0/4 instead of a 1/3. Having any amount of attack on him gives him kill potential in a card that is already hyper aggro. He doesn't need to be able to participate in both burn and board control. I guess we're not fixing the trend of P&Z having objectively better versions of Noxus cards?

Lastly, I hate this Karma change so much. All this change means is that she's only seeing play in combo decks where she is a win con instead of being used as a tool to generate card advantage in a variety of decks. No one is going to be playing her before Round 10 anymore; 6 mana champions just do not get played unless they have insane presence the moment they hit the board, like Sejuani.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Definitely could see some Vlad decks now. That drain will be nuts.

My theory is that he's still too slow vs. aggro and the current midrange decks can still punch through him. It's certainly a powerful effect, but I think it ultimately won't make much of a difference.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
The Shen change is pretty significant. He's looking like a good contender for deck slots now. (You can even play him just for his stat line in expeditions, though it's too bad Riposte has been removed from some archetypes).

I disagree with the Vi change. I think Riot misunderstands why Vi is being run in these Demacia decks. This makes her weaker in Vi-focused decks that are actually trying to use her leveled ability multiple times but doesn't really change her use in the Demacia decks where she's just being played as a massive challenger.

The Rearguard change is... unexpected, and maybe too harsh. The only way he gets in now is if your opponent can't block? I don't like it. For 1 more mana, you have Academy Prodigy in P&Z which has the same stat line plus Quick Attack and the ability to block. Rearguard also can't be used as a Transfusion or Demolitionist target now, unless you're okay with losing him. There had to have been a better place to make this nerf.

I think Grizzled Ranger's nerf wasn't harsh enough. A 2/1 (let alone 3/1) Scout that summons a 3/4 on death still sees play in every single Demacia deck. The card needs an overhaul.

I personally think Boomcrew Rookie should have been a 0/4 instead of a 1/3. Having any amount of attack on him gives him kill potential in a card that is already hyper aggro. He doesn't need to be able to participate in both burn and board control. I guess we're not fixing the trend of P&Z having objectively better versions of Noxus cards?

Lastly, I hate this Karma change so much. All this change means is that she's only seeing play in combo decks where she is a win con instead of being used as a tool to generate card advantage in a variety of decks. No one is going to be playing her before Round 10 anymore; 6 mana champions just do not get played unless they have insane presence the moment they hit the board, like Sejuani.

I think rearguard is a very good.. and unexpected nerf. If you can't block him turn 1, you basically lose the game. Now a lot of things can ping him off. He's only played in burn decks which is the strongest deck out there, so this nerf won't effect any other deck, and I don't see any other 1 drops you would replace him with, so he still gets played imo.

Burn decks don't care about quick attack since the goal is the nexus. And they wouldn't want to spend the 2 mana on that anyways.

Grizzled Ranger sees play but badgerbear may not now, which is good imo. I hated building any demacia deck and having to force all 6 cards into the deck. Now maybe it's just 3. Also taking 6 instead of 8 against an unblocked grizzled is much preferred.

Karma nerf won't effect much, she is rarely dropped on 5 without a LOT of backup, now it just happens 1 turn later. I see it more of a way to nerf turn 10 combo when you have 13 mana.. you could do karma+unyielding unanswered, for example.

Also dropping her + ezreal with 5 mana to spare.. now it's 4.

If you want the extra cards, you'll still drop her on curve, it just happens 1 turn later now

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
If Mystic Shot wasn't able to target Nexus, then not blocking Rearguard turn 1 would be less punishing. It would also nerf the Ezreal combo by a bit.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

I disagree with most of your points and think this is a much needed patch. I'm a bit disappointed with no nerfs to Unyielding or Ezreal but overall they are hitting problem cards.

Many times Rearguard doesn't get in on Turn 1 but is blocked by another 1/1. His ability to get in Turn 1 will not change. Two Rearguards and another unit on Turn 2 can now be effectively countered without getting in a massive hole on Turn 2. This is a fantastic change. Previously, multiple on board Rearguards is an issue for most spell based decks until later in the game. I worry about Ezreal but that champion should have been nerfed months ago. Maybe this gets it done. Someone on that team is allowing personal preference a bit too much.

I like the Vi change. The card is extremely hard to kill for any deck. It should still be hard to kill but at least it's a bit easier. Now, will Demacia stick with a 2/4 five mana option? Possibly because she's still pretty damn good and lives through things no other challenger but six mana Lee Sin can.

I disagree about Boomcrew. It is now in line with Crimson Disciple. Boom and Disciple still die to a Turn 2 three power unit but both have advantages and disadvantages that make them good.

Grizzled Ranger is a huge nerf and scout cards wouldn't be played without some benefits. A single vanilla 4 mana Beast Below can handle both parts of the Ranger now. That lost 4 power is HUGE for both parts of the card.

Karma needed nerfed. Super happy. It was most powerful champion in the game Day 1. One expansion later...it's still the most powerful champ in the game. The extra turn for another deck to win is a blessing. Now Ezreal needs the bat.

Edit- to expand on Karma and Ezreal, both cards will end up affecting future expansions if they aren't nerfed. As more and more spells are made, the power of both cards climb and they are two of the most powerful in the game today. They will have the same issues Blizzard had with certain cards (which is funny since inferior designers have now made Hearthstone terrible)

Last edited:

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
First impression is RIP Burn I think. It's been hit with a few nerfs that will hurt it a lot. Might still see play since it's cheap to make, easy to play and fast for ranking up, but it will be played a lot less. It might be replaced by another aggro type deck that isn't burn. I hope that's the case because we need a few aggro deck to keep some of the control decks in check.

No nerf to Unyielding Spirit is disapointing, but the nerf to Stand Alone is pretty huge I think, and is a huge nerf to how Fiora decks were played. A lot were turn 3 Fiora with Stand Alone to buff her. So if that is nerfed, it's nerfs the entire archetype and ultimately might end up being enough of a nerf to unyielding Spirit. At least it's on the Watch List.

No nerfs to Chain Vest surprises me also, I expected it to be nerfed. Similar to Unyielding Spirt, there's lot of nerfs to Demacia so will probably be a nerfs to this in a way.

Vladimir got exactly what I suggested. I'm not sure he'll be top tier, but should see some play now I think. He will definitely be experimented with for sure and I think if he's not viable yet, he's now in a much better place to fix him, or the deck he's part off to become good.

Karma, I think it might be enough. You don't really want to change her mechanic because it's unique and interesting. I think the issue has often been dropping her, and making a lot of plays in the same turn. This is now reduced somewhat. it might not be enough, but it's a decent start.

Shen, I think he's always been borderline viable, and I think this will push him to being viable. There's a big difference between 2 and 3 attack in LoR.

Vi, this is a pretty big nerf I think 5 health with Tough is pretty hard to remove, at 4 it makes her a lot easier to remove. I agree that it will make her less viable for her base stats alone which is how she was mostly being played in a lot of decks.

Hecarim got buffed but it's not going to have a huge impact I think, he wasn't played much anymore and I don't see that changing. I think SI has better options.

Greathorn Companion, I doubt he will see play, this is just a buff to Remembrance.

Grizzled Ranger and Loyal Badgerbear. It's a decent nerf to Grizzled Ranger that still keeps the card viable, Badgerbear still good to get from the Last Breath of Grizzled Ranger, but not auto include as a card itself. I think this is a good change.

Laurent Chevalier, he's better but not by much, but with the nerf to Badgerbear and Grizzled Ranger he might slip into a few decks.

Stand Alone, huge nerf I think. It basically nerfs the primary way this card was use on turn 3 on a Fiora or Zed also played on turn 3. It will either be played on a 2 drop now, or 1 turn later which is a pretty huge nerf. It will see a lot less play, and decks won't be built around it anymore, it's just going to be another tool rather than the key piece.

Legion Rearguard, I didn't expect it. Card is probably dead now, but I think it was needed for the health of the game. It will affect Burn in a huge way.

Boomcrew Rookie, the nerfs everyone expected. I think this is a good move, another big nerf to Burn.

Kindly Tarvernkeeper has always seen some play for his healing, but as a 3/3 now he's actually decent past the healing he brings. Good change but not going to be huge.

Deep Meditation, it's a pretty big nerf but totally required. I think the card is still playable but will be in a lot less decks now.

Brood Awakening, this leaves me indifferent. I don't think the card was a problem, but it was very good value. It will probably still see play but in less decks, probably only in spider decks now.

Longtooth, this is hard to judge for me since I almost never see Fizz so never see this being played.

Monkey Idol, not a card I like and I don't think it will see much play, but the possibility of a 3rd Monkey could bring about some added complexity and interaction with the card.

Slotbot, still to RNG to be reliable in my opinion but it's a buff.

Now to the Watchlist. Unyielding Spirit obviously, Demacia got a lot of nerfs which will affect the Unyielding Fiora which I believe was the worse use of the card so in that way, it got nerfed. I still think it's going to be a problem and frustrating card but might be seen a little less because of the other nerfs.

Pilfered Goods and Card Steeling, pretty much all Bilgewater decks use these, if they get nerfed the region as a whole need to have a lot of buffs to compensate depending on the nerf. I think drawing from the bottom of the deck would be a good start and be a buff to Freljord which desperately needs it. Having your buffed units stolen is a major upset, not only it makes you lose the play you made, but gives your opponent a buffed card, often at a discounted rate. It's a major major loss, so drawing from the bottom would solve that issue while keeping the concept intact and still powerful.

Conclusion, well I have enjoyed the balance strategy as a whole that Riot has done since the beginning. They usually are very targeted in their change to affect the game and meta in a very specific ways, considering many aspect on how certain changes will affect other aspect of the game. This patch is no different, and I think I agree with most of the changes. 1 more month of Unyielding Spirit kinda makes me very sad, even though the other nerfs might make it be played less.