Legends of Runeterra - Card game by Riot Games

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Rank #359 with 156 LP
Looks like I'm done playing ranked for a couple days.

Yay.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Next expansion launches on March 3rd, new cards reveal starts today at 10:30EST.

Always exciting to see new cards. :)

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Man I wish they would add something to use gems on other than cards or expeditions. They could use the board as a gem sink. Adding little details to the combat board that can only be acquired with gems. It would show which players had been playing this game a long while. Use gems as a way to purchase more emote spots or increase the number of decks saved. There are a lot of possibilities that after a year should have been considered.

150,000 gems...and counting..............

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Man I wish they would add something to use gems on other than cards or expeditions. They could use the board as a gem sink. Adding little details to the combat board that can only be acquired with gems. It would show which players had been playing this game a long while. Use gems as a way to purchase more emote spots or increase the number of decks saved. There are a lot of possibilities that after a year should have been considered.

Im sure something will be on the horizon. No way will they want players sitting on millions of gems in the future.
They did a lot in 1 year imo

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Here it is.
3A0CFB9E-3545-4375-BEBC-356C9A20AD0F.jpeg

I’m not sure what Ascendants are so really hard to evaluate the Sun Disc. These cards seems to push the allegiance archetype.

And they seriously need to make an animated show with this style. These look so amazing.

Last edited:

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Devoted Council seems like a great healing card.
6 health on a 3 drop? And it heals every round (if you level a champ)

Nasus / Renekton / Azir will probably bring a lot. I can see all 3 as "timmy" champions.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Golden Ambassador looks pretty nice as well. 3/2 body that can draw a +2+2 champ for 4?

Anybody else have a fast WTF when they saw Exalted Poro? I passed right over the first poro picture.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Golden Ambassador looks pretty nice as well. 3/2 body that can draw a +2+2 champ for 4?

Anybody else have a fast WTF when they saw Exalted Poro? I passed right over the first poro picture.

Golden Ambassador did strike me as good, but Allegiance cards are always a step above. Once I saw it would only work with Shurima champs than I got a little less excited about it. Champ tutor can be really great though, probably sees play if Shurima is a good region

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>

This is how you get Hearthstone.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
So as expected, we have Renekton & Nasus and I believe Xerath is also Ascended in the lore. Not sure about Azir.
The 2nd level up is awesome, and not required, but just adds another layer. I am liking this Renekton package overall.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Nice cards, so Ascended level 3 will only be achieved with Sun Disc, that’s interesting. Renekton looks pretty nice even without it.

Bloodthirsty Marauder: Power Creep card pure and simple. Legion Rearguard that can block, Legion Rearguard saw some play so this should to.

Baccai Sandspinner: Not great stats, but Granting Vulnerable and -1/0 is pretty nice. Synergize with Renakton. 3 health isn’t great though it will die to a lot of stuff that cost less mana.

Raz Bloodbane: Slow and low statline, but strong effect, might not prevent a lot of blockers this late in game but should allow for a lot of favorable trade.

Exhaust: Looks great for 1 mana, 2 good effect. What’s “Focus” speed though. My guess its like ”Gems” where it’s burst but outside of combat.

Unworthy: Good effect but slow, I like that they are using mana for a conditional effect, opens up new gameplay possibility.

Quicksand: Can be better than Hush in some case, and worse in others. Interesting type of silence to add to the game.

Rite of Dominance: Expansive to cast, 4 mana and an ally or mana gem. Effect is not bad considering some of the other cards here, looks like there will lots of ways to create advantageous trades in this regions by debuf the enemy. Again, I like the use of man gem like this, opens up new gameplay possibilities.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I am really liking the looks of Shurima so far, here's my initial impression, starting with yesterday's cards:

Note: Looking at the Lore, Shurima has at least 4 Ascended Champs: Renekton, Nasus, Xerath, Azir

Poro:
Cute but doesn't really fit in a Poro deck since you typically don't run (or level) champions.

Buried Sun Disc / Restored Sun Disc:
So looks like Shurima is being built around this landmark. It's only 1 mana and if you're mono-Shurima you draw it at the start of the game. If you can restore it, you draw 1 of all your ascended. That's all really great stuff. The big negatives are that 1.) It's a landmark that is doing nothing for a very long time and 2.) there is a lot of landmark removal already in the game... like a TON. 3.) To be most efficient, you want to be mono-Shurima (but maybe this won't be the best way to go).
Shurima is going to need some way to protect landmarks for this to really work imo.
The Sun Disc deck will definitely be interesting to try but it feels VERY VERY slow. And you are going to play a lot of support cards that help restore this, but otherwise also contribute nothing to the board state.

Esteemed Heirophant:
Literally a vanilla 3/4 that helps restore the sun disc. It's probably required in a sun disc deck, but it's going to feel terrible working toward that restore and then your landmark gets a comet to it.

Devoted Council:
For a healing card I think it's great, and it also help block some things. But of course it doesn't heal at all if you don't level a champion. This card seems great in a Soraka deck, but of course that deck can't lose Tahm (I think). It's only going to work in a deck that can level something quickly, like Soraka.

Golden Ambassador:
Works great in the mono-shurima deck that Sun Disc requires, but 4 mana 3/2 is horrible and slow. Continuing the ultra-slow playstyle of Shurima so far. It might be required so you get your champion which can then level up and progress your sun disc. Hopefully you're not dead by turn 5.

Voice of the Risen:
If you can get a leveled champion quickly, I think this card is great. Again, put this in a Soraka deck which typically lacks offensive power. Could be really great. Soraka is a very easy champion to level, I'm struggling to think of another. Maybe Shurima will give us one. If you are playing champions that can't level before turn 5, I think these types of cards become garbage. Ideally you want to be able to drop this turn 4 and have it do something. Otherwise it's a 4 mana 3/4 do nothing.

Ascended's Rise:
OK, so this might be the card that actually makes Sun Disc work. Put at least 3 Ascended in your deck, then cast this and there you go. Can be played turn 4 at the earliest. I think this card is definitely required in a Sun Disc deck. Good out of necessity. But of course it's slow. Also, since you restore the Sun Disc instantly, all of sudden you draw 1 of each champion as well that same turn. They will also be level 3 from the restored Sun Disc. So this is like 7 mana Restore the Sun Disc, Draw 3 level 3 Ascended. Seems good man.

Renekton:
He seems good. Especially if getting the level 3 form isn't super difficult (Ascended Rise!). That 2 Damage on Block/Attack is INSANE plus 10/10 overwhelm, for 4 mana... what?! Going all in on Sun Disc + Ascended Rise seems worth it if you can play a level 3 Renekton. A level 2 Renekton is still pretty good too. But I honestly think he becomes super average if you can't get him to level 3.

Ruthless Predator:
Burst Speed Vulnerable seems fine. It's nothing terribly great compared to what currently exists. Like Shakedown is still better imo since it can target 2 and it's cheaper. The +2 attack seems negligble.

Bloodthirsty Marauder:
Seems like probably the best card here so far. 1 mana unit that can block Fearsomes and doesn't lose that 3rd attack. Seems excellent.

Baccai Sandspinner:
Garbage card. I can't see this being used anywhere.

Raz Bloodmane:
EXPENSIVE. Great stats, effect, etc but matches up with a lot of other 6+ cost units with great effects that NEVER get played.

Exhaust:
NOTE: Focus is the new keyword that replaces "Gem Speed". (it can only be cast when not in a combat phase or in response to something).
Card looks excellent. Cheap & makes favorable trades. Great.

Unworthy:
Yikes. Garbage card imo. Slow speed, follower only. Yes it's cheap but useless so often.

Quicksand:
Excellent card. Good vs Elusives, Tough, Overwhelm, Augment decks, etc.

Rite of Dominance:
This card is great. This shits on aggro decks & wide board decks so hard. Also punishes wide open attacks. Great card auto-include.

End.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Blood Thirsty Marauder is the best card. As discussed it is pure power creep.

I also like Quicksand. Interesting that it actually states that it does not remove the negative effects. This card is an auto include if able.

Exhaust is very nice. I assume Challenge and Vulnerable are the same thing with regard to Renekton.

Rite of Dominance......finally something that will outright end a fast decks early dominance, if you draw it.

Renekton is pretty good. As said, it really helps to get him leveled. He is a solid body at 4/4 but there are 4 damage creature removals in the game. Obviously it is a different story at his level 3 stats(I love the idea of level 3). I kind of wish there was a way to give him challenge on his own merit rather then relying on other cards but I guess he would be to powerful at that point.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Buried Sun Disc / Restored Sun Disc:
So looks like Shurima is being built around this landmark. It's only 1 mana and if you're mono-Shurima you draw it at the start of the game. If you can restore it, you draw 1 of all your ascended. That's all really great stuff. The big negatives are that 1.) It's a landmark that is doing nothing for a very long time and 2.) there is a lot of landmark removal already in the game... like a TON. 3.) To be most efficient, you want to be mono-Shurima (but maybe this won't be the best way to go).
Shurima is going to need some way to protect landmarks for this to really work imo.
The Sun Disc deck will definitely be interesting to try but it feels VERY VERY slow. And you are going to play a lot of support cards that help restore this, but otherwise also contribute nothing to the board state.

We don't know how many more cards will affect the speed of the countdown if any. Also leveling an Ascended speeds it up by 10 rounds, Renekton doesn't seem that hard to level up, and we don't know how easy or hard it will be to level up the others.

Granted, it still remains a slow play, but it looks like it will most likely end the game a turn or 2 later so it should be slow. The region seems to have tools for slow games so far. I agree that Shurima probably needs a way to protect the Sun Disc otherwise this might be extremely hard to pull off.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
We don't know how many more cards will affect the speed of the countdown if any. Also leveling an Ascended speeds it up by 10 rounds, Renekton doesn't seem that hard to level up, and we don't know how easy or hard it will be to level up the others.

Granted, it still remains a slow play, but it looks like it will most likely end the game a turn or 2 later so it should be slow. The region seems to have tools for slow games so far. I agree that Shurima probably needs a way to protect the Sun Disc otherwise this might be extremely hard to pull off.

Read my commentary on "Ascended Rise" and I think the 2 go hand-in-hand. I didn't really read Ascended Rise before going through them all. I think almost every other "advance sun disc" card will be useless and you just add Sun Disc + Ascended Rise + Azir + Nasus + Renekton as a core. Hard mulligan for Ascended Rise & be Mono-Shurima so you get sun disc turn 1.

Last edited:

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Only counterpoint to Ascended Rise is that it looks like it requires the champ to be on board, which I had overlooked. So we'll see. The "Draw a Champ" card looks more valuable all of a sudden

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Read my commentary on "Ascended Rise" and I think the 2 go hand-in-hand. I didn't really ready Ascended Rise before going through them all. I think almost every other "advance sun disc" card will be useless and you just add Sun Disc + Ascended Rise + Azir + Nasus + Renekton as a core. Hard mulligan for Ascended Rise & be Mono-Shurima so you get sun disc turn 1.
Yeah i missed that, it’s definitely going to be required in a Sun Disc deck. As you mentioned this might be a deck that plays more than the usual 2 champions to be really effective and get a big payoff from Asceneed Rise.

It looks like at the very least that Sun Disc deck is going to be fairly unique design.