Liquors & Cocktails

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
So this afternoon/tonight I'm working my way through a bottle of Noah's Mills small batch bourbon. I'm almost exclusively a strait bourbon/rocks drinker and I compare everything to Evan Williams, which no matter what the snooty hipster buttholes say, is the gold standard for fairly priced bourbon that tastes like it's suppose to.

Noah's Mills is good. It's slightly smoother, about the same sugar and has a bit more oak than Evan Williams. That said, the extra complexities in Noah's Mills take effort, pallet and experience to discover (i imagine). These are three things which I do not have, especially when drinking. I cannot justify the 5x cost over a bottle of the gold standard. I regret not just grabbing a bottle of Basil Haydens for my 'want to spend a few extra bucks' drinking afternoon, but do give the small batch boys marks for trying.

Will report hangover differences tomorrow.

View attachment 92708

Hangover was similar to every other hangover. Polishing off the last few ounces tonight and then switching to a 2013 Husch Mendocino....

We should probably make a religious free AA thread soon....

Last edited:

Ryanz

<Banned>
This is awfully tasty!

knob-creek-smoked-maple-xl.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Just got back from London and Gin Mare was a gin I saw pretty regularly. Delicious stuff. One of the best I've ever had. Picked a bottle of this and a bottle of Lagavulin 16yr (only $50 in the UK!) at the duty free shop on the way home.

Gin-Mare2.jpg

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Lagavulin 16 was one of the worst things I've ever tasted. Tasted like liquid charcoal.

• 1Supertaster

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
It's probably the best scotch I've ever had.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So I make this mixed drink a lot.

I am going to list out the ingredients for a batch which I make in 1 gallon increments.

10 oz Malibu Rum (I use the dark which is 70 proof but any that has coconut works)
10 oz vodka (I use 100 proof smirnoff)
6 oz curacao (this is for color)
32 oz red bull OR sprite (you can use sugar free or the blue one if you want)
32 oz sweet n sour
32 oz pineapple juice

So I love to make it with the red bull and I think that the ladies love it that way. I don't usually tell them it has that in it and they guzzle it down. If you go with sprite it will be a much lighter drink in color. Same if you don't go with Malibu Dark.

It is a very dark blue/green like seawater with the way I make it and I have dubbed it Hawaiian Hulk.

tyen tyen you should try it at a bar and see how it does and then tell me what the per drink price would calculate at.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
id charge $13 a glass.

not bartending anymore tho. just got picked up at a game studio in portland.

i worked at fogo de chao slangin drinks for almost 3 years, so charging 10+ for anything was standard.

i really like,

cucumber
lime
jalapeno

muddle

fill with ice
vodka or gin

shake
double strain

Last edited:
  • 1Like

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is a great thread. Truly great.

Primarily a vodka drinker. Love the Deep Eddy, Titos and other assorted American vodka's.

Wish I could get hold of Grand Teton on the east coast but it's pretty hard to find.

My favorite is Chopin (polish tater vodka). However, my liquor dealer turned me on to a lower priced alternative and I have really been digging it.

Spirits Review | Reviews | Vodka | Vesica

Vesica is a lower priced Polish tater alternative and it is very clean. Kind of a waste to throw ginger ale in it and slug it back, but it makes a good martini.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
This is a great thread. Truly great.

Primarily a vodka drinker. Love the Deep Eddy, Titos and other assorted American vodka's.

Wish I could get hold of Grand Teton on the east coast but it's pretty hard to find.

My favorite is Chopin (polish tater vodka). However, my liquor dealer turned me on to a lower priced alternative and I have really been digging it.

Spirits Review | Reviews | Vodka | Vesica

Vesica is a lower priced Polish tater alternative and it is very clean. Kind of a waste to throw ginger ale in it and slug it back, but it makes a good martini.

Have you tried Jean-Marc XO yet? Can typically be had for about $40-45 (if you want more of a premium vodka & price)

Spirits Review | Reviews | Vodka | Jean Marc XO

• 1Like

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
I have not but that was a hell of a review.

I swear by the stuff (I've mentioned it previously in this thread). The reviewer must have bought it from a terrible liquor store since they claimed $60. My local shop has it around $40.

Amazing on the rocks (sometimes with a small splash of Carbonated water) and very deceptive due to lack of any burn, it is basically like water with an incredibly slight vanilla flavor.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I just found a bottle each of Pappy 15, 20 and 23 year at a local liquor store. I'm considering buying all 3 bottles and hanging on to resell them later. Anyone have experience with that? There is some extreme hesitation because of the price tag. Those 3 bottles are about 7 grand and tax, give or take so I really, really don't want to take a bath.

• 1Barf

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
I just found a bottle each of Pappy 15, 20 and 23 year at a local liquor store. I'm considering buying all 3 bottles and hanging on to resell them later. Anyone have experience with that? There is some extreme hesitation because of the price tag. Those 3 bottles are about 7 grand and tax, give or take so I really, really don't want to take a bath.

I do this sometimes, but have a buddy that does it every year.

What are the prices they are selling for at the store? Generally, the rule of thumb is to hold onto the bottles until middle/end of Spring to early Summer so there is basically nothing left in circulation. Sell it to some New Yorker for $3000+ (can get more, but it's very hard to get more much than that due to increased production/availability over the last few years) for the 23, $1500+ for the 20yr. Keep the 15yr if I were you if you like bourbon, it's pretty much the best of the line.

The secondary market for Pappy isn't like it use to be. 3-4 years ago, you could sell a 23yr for $5000+ fairly reliably, but it isn't like that anymore. Honestly, the 23yr is one of the worst in the Pappy line-up. Generally the people who buy it on the secondary buy it for status and bragging rights and don't know how to judge bourbon (and likely make funny faces when drinking bourbon/whiskey as they are all show). Ask anyone in bourbon-country and they'll ALL say that the 15yr is by far the best of the bunch. I'd personally rate it 15 > 20 > Rye > 10 > 23 > 12

I still remember when I could walk into my local store and buy multiple bottles of Pappy of all years without any issues pretty much year-long. Funny how 6-7 years ago you could do that, but now, it is like gold. You'd be amazed actually how many bottles they actually produce but only sell a certain percentage to the populace, the rest goes to restaurants and select vendors/clients. It is a LOT of artificial shortages to increase reputation, demand, and hype.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I do this sometimes, but have a buddy that does it every year.

What are the prices they are selling for at the store? Generally, the rule of thumb is to hold onto the bottles until middle/end of Spring to early Summer so there is basically nothing left in circulation. Sell it to some New Yorker for $3000+ (can get more, but it's very hard to get more much than that due to increased production/availability over the last few years) for the 23, $1500+ for the 20yr. Keep the 15yr if I were you if you like bourbon, it's pretty much the best of the line.

The secondary market for Pappy isn't like it use to be. 3-4 years ago, you could sell a 23yr for $5000+ fairly reliably, but it isn't like that anymore. Honestly, the 23yr is one of the worst in the Pappy line-up. Generally the people who buy it on the secondary buy it for status and bragging rights and don't know how to judge bourbon (and likely make funny faces when drinking bourbon/whiskey as they are all show). Ask anyone in bourbon-country and they'll ALL say that the 15yr is by far the best of the bunch. I'd personally rate it 15 > 20 > Rye > 10 > 23 > 12

I still remember when I could walk into my local store and buy multiple bottles of Pappy of all years without any issues pretty much year-long. Funny how 6-7 years ago you could do that, but now, it is like gold. You'd be amazed actually how many bottles they actually produce but only sell a certain percentage to the populace, the rest goes to restaurants and select vendors/clients. It is a LOT of artificial shortages to increase reputation, demand, and hype.

Great info, sir. Thank you. As for the price, they are already overcharging imo. 3500 for the 23, 2500 for the 20 and 1000 for the 15. I figured I could probably haggle if I bought all of that shit at once but who knows. Personally, I've only ever had the 20 and enjoyed it quite a bit and I'm on a "waiting list" for the 15 anyway so yeah, I was considering just keeping it.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Great info, sir. Thank you. As for the price, they are already overcharging imo. 3500 for the 23, 2500 for the 20 and 1000 for the 15. I figured I could probably haggle if I bought all of that shit at once but who knows. Personally, I've only ever had the 20 and enjoyed it quite a bit and I'm on a "waiting list" for the 15 anyway so yeah, I was considering just keeping it.

If this is a liquor store then they cannot price over MSRP as Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery (Buffalo Trace/Weller) is much like Apple, you cannot really overcharge (+/- $10-50 is likely acceptable) or they will ban you (Liquor Store) from ever receiving shipments to sell and will even go to the liquor store's distributor to ban delivery to that store. The exemption being if the store itself bought it on the secondary market of course. They do not fuck around when it comes to this rule.

If you want a bourbon that will net a good sum, it will be the Booker's Rye. I believe it'll likely out-price Pappy this coming year due to the awards and hype it is receiving recently. Pretty damn rare and probably the best bourbon you will ever put in your mouth. I pop a good-sized chub on every sip, it's that mind-blowingly good. I will also say that some of the Japanese Whiskeys are just as good as the best Kentucky Bourbon has to offer.

Last edited:

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I found some of the 12 year Vanwinkle i think it was at a Louisiana liquor store and they wanted 700 bucks for it. The price hikes are everywhere.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
fall release raffle was done at my local last night. They did a silent auction for a bottle of vw 10 and 12. Went for $500 and $525 respectively, people are retarded. No shock beam thinks they can swindle a $100 for a regular bottle of bookers now.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Yeah fuck that. I'm sure it's tasty but it's no where near 500 for a 10 year tasty.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I've heard lots of good things about Deep Eddys vodka, supposedly 10 times distilled from Austin. Decided to pick up a few bottles for a party we had. Got the regular and Lemon. The lemon is a think yellow and looks like a,lemonade rather than being just a lemon flavored vodka. It's only 70 proof. It was actually way cheap. Like 19 bucks for a liter bottle, so I was shocked so many of my bartender friends were pimping it. Seemed like another cheaper vodka in the Smirnoff or svedka area.

The regular vodka was ok. Nothing special. No one was really wowed. But a nice smooth product for a cheap price. I think I would take it over any of the comparable, maybe on par with Titos.

The Lemon was fucking amazing, I was just mixing it with club Soda for my friends and plain carbonated water from my soda stream for me, and holy shit it was good.

Tasted just like lemonade without all the sweet sugar. I highly suggest anyone try it if they are making high balls.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I picked up the new almond milk Baileys last night. Far surpassed expectations. I like it more than the regular. Drinking it on ice with a healthy splash of peppermint schnapps is delicious.