LitRPG

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Recent top notch recommendations:

Divine Apostasy series, by A. F. Kay (yes)
The Great Core's Paradox I & II, by Zendran (snek litrpg)

Second tier recommendations:
Azarinth Healer, by Rhaegar (much edited/rewritten version from the RR one, which is actually finished)
Wake of the Ravager, by Macronomicon (if you like adolescent humor, that is)
A few others that I thought were pretty good:
Unorthodox Farming
Battlemage Farmer
Apocalypse Redux
Portal to Nova Roma
The Ripple System
Bastion (may not actually be litrpg)
Iron Prince (same as bastion, more progression fantasy than litrpg)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
That third book was when the author had IRL problems and decided he needed to wrap up the story because he knew he would never finish it.
Eh, to be honest it was pretty crap from the beginning. Middle of second book is where the veneer of a new system with new plot has worn through and all that’s left is wooden characters, bad writing, and an unoriginal system.

I find that happens in a lot of these litrpg series’ really, you can overlook how bad they actually are for a book or two just because of the initial set up and progression, but once that gets old there’s not much left.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
I have read so many they tend to blend together

iron prince is real good- still waiting on the damn sequel
battlemage farmer is good-
nova terra series i liked the first few books, have not kept up with that one
all the skills is new, i liked it.
there is a series- pretty sure it is not battlemage farmer- about a farmer using traps to level, and has a ghost wife- was a good read
so many more that are good relaxing books.
buymort was interesting concept. was not crap

the one thing i dislike with some of the books is they get into YMP territory---teen boy, hot girl, sex all the time.

on royal road

magical gunslinger girl is well written. short but well written.
spiteful healer is well written, a bit short, interesting concept for his class

and oh so many more.....

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I have read so many they tend to blend together

iron prince is real good- still waiting on the damn sequel
battlemage farmer is good-
all the skills is new, i liked it.
there is a series- pretty sure it is not battlemage farmer- about a farmer using traps to level, and has a ghost wife- was a good read
so many more that are good relaxing books.
buymort was interesting concept. was not crap

the one thing i dislike with some of the books is they get into YMP territory---teen boy, hot girl, sex all the time.

on royal road

magical gunslinger girl is well written. short but well written.
spiteful healer is well written, a bit short, interesting concept for his class

and oh so many more.....
The one about farming using traps to level is the unorthodox farming series I mentioned. Book 2 of that just came out not long ago.

As for RR, there’s a separate thread for that but there’s definitely some cross over. There’s 5 or 6 that I follow that are really good, usually give a couple months on each to build a backlog up but there are a few I keep current.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Different series. It's an AI who opens a portal to a world which runs under RPG rules, because of nostalgia as it was the constant companion of his owner's son in those VRMMO. Lands near Byzantium with a load of nanotech and a bioengineered body, proceeds to exploit the hell out of the System. It's a trilogy:

- Portal to Nova Roma
- Portal to Nova Roma: Venice
- Portal to Nova Roma: Rhine (this one)

(unfortunately for the setup, the so-called AI aspects are completely glossed over, and the ultra-advanced AI is completely undistinguishable from a human on its own internal dialogue...)

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Different series. It's an AI who opens a portal to a world which runs under RPG rules, because of nostalgia as it was the constant companion of his owner's son in those VRMMO. Lands near Byzantium with a load of nanotech and a bioengineered body, proceeds to exploit the hell out of the System. It's a trilogy:

- Portal to Nova Roma
- Portal to Nova Roma: Venice
- Portal to Nova Roma: Rhine (this one)

(unfortunately for the setup, the so-called AI aspects are completely glossed over, and the ultra-advanced AI is completely undistinguishable from a human on its own internal dialogue...)
Yeah, it very quickly moved on from the AI aspect and like you said, basically became a human with unique powers. I still like it well enough.

Haven’t read the 3rd one yet though.

Last edited:

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, it very quickly moved on from the AI aspect and like you said, basically became a human with unique powers. I still like it well enough.

Haven’t read the 3rd one yet though.
It seems to be back in the 3rd book at around 70 percent now.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Azarinth Healer, by Rhaegar (much edited/rewritten version from the RR one, which is actually finished)

Wait, Azarinth Healer is finished ? I thought he was just publishing book one of XXX - isn't it like 20,000 pages long ?

I'm tempted to check that out, as azarinth healer was entertaining but the technical aspects of the writing were awful in every way, it made technical manuals translated from arabic by google translate look good. With competent editing it'd probably be pretty good.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Wait, Azarinth Healer is finished ? I thought he was just publishing book one of XXX - isn't it like 20,000 pages long ?

I'm tempted to check that out, as azarinth healer was entertaining but the technical aspects of the writing were awful in every way, it made technical manuals translated from arabic by google translate look good. With competent editing it'd probably be pretty good.
With the first 74 chapters now on Amazon after editing book 1, there are still 9714 pages, up to the last chapter 929 on RR.

The pacing is still slow, but it's way better than what I remember being on RR.

• 1Like

Wrenn

Trakanon Raider

It's complete on Royal Road, but it has only just started being published on KU. I remember it was about Chapter 400-500 before the grammer became bearable so might be a long while before its worth reading unless you can handle terrible grammer. Otherwise its great.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I read the first book of Path of Ascension, and it was decent. Not a ton of moments that had me worrying for anyone's safety, but the characters are FAR more entertaining and relatable than most books in this genre. The next book comes out on KU next month, so I'll definitely pick it up. They hooked me with ending on Aster (the little arctic fox) suddenly getting more intelligent, so I'm looking forward to those interactions.

I am also thankful for the lack of pages and pages of stats repeated throughout the book, although the author had to ruin it a little by deciding to show hypothetical numerical progressions out to Level 50 a couple of times, that apparently needed like 8 pages to show instead of making a nice table or something, but thankfully they were pretty limited.

I also liked the dynamic where the new partner (Liz) has all the OP relatives and shit, although we all know the MC (Matt) is going to eventually end up being the one that is massively OP. And despite all of her advantages and hang-ups, I really like her. She actually feels like a real (sometimes irrational) teenage girl.

And on top of all of that, while of course everyone we care about in the story has the "must get stronger" mentality, it isn't like so many of the others I've read. HWFWM, DotF, Unbound, Primal Hunter, that White Wolf series, others I'm forgetting I'm sure...they literally all have an interchangeable "I must become the ultimate strongest in the world, no matter the personal cost, nothing else matters" drive to them that is, frankly, boring at this point. Matt still has it, sure, because he was an orphan and shit, but it isn't hammered into the reader every fucking second like every one of those books I mentioned. And while they've killed people, Matt and Liz aren't the relentless murder machine psychopaths that all the others are. So for those reasons alone, I'll keep checking this series out as more get released.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I read the first book of Path of Ascension, and it was decent. Not a ton of moments that had me worrying for anyone's safety, but the characters are FAR more entertaining and relatable than most books in this genre. The next book comes out on KU next month, so I'll definitely pick it up. They hooked me with ending on Aster (the little arctic fox) suddenly getting more intelligent, so I'm looking forward to those interactions.

I am also thankful for the lack of pages and pages of stats repeated throughout the book, although the author had to ruin it a little by deciding to show hypothetical numerical progressions out to Level 50 a couple of times, that apparently needed like 8 pages to show instead of making a nice table or something, but thankfully they were pretty limited.

I also liked the dynamic where the new partner (Liz) has all the OP relatives and shit, although we all know the MC (Matt) is going to eventually end up being the one that is massively OP. And despite all of her advantages and hang-ups, I really like her. She actually feels like a real (sometimes irrational) teenage girl.

And on top of all of that, while of course everyone we care about in the story has the "must get stronger" mentality, it isn't like so many of the others I've read. HWFWM, DotF, Unbound, Primal Hunter, that White Wolf series, others I'm forgetting I'm sure...they literally all have an interchangeable "I must become the ultimate strongest in the world, no matter the personal cost, nothing else matters" drive to them that is, frankly, boring at this point. Matt still has it, sure, because he was an orphan and shit, but it isn't hammered into the reader every fucking second like every one of those books I mentioned. And while they've killed people, Matt and Liz aren't the relentless murder machine psychopaths that all the others are. So for those reasons alone, I'll keep checking this series out as more get released.
This is also a RR series. I will say that that was one of my major problems with the story. Not sure how far book one goes to, but I’m reasonably sure you haven’t even seen how bad the “there’s absolutely zero risk for the characters” gets. I mean I get that for the most part none of the main characters in these books are really at any risk, but it gets taken to a whole new level. Luckily the most recent arc at least offers the illusion of danger.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
There are 2 books I'm currently reading on Yonder app on android that are LitRPG.

One is "Return to Player", which is a very good story. The other is "I'm The Max Level Newbie", which I think I like more. Both are very good stories, and release new chapters (for free) on an almost daily basis. However, they're only free 1 chapter a day. If you read more than that, you have to use the coins. There are random coin events that give you 500 each time. Each chapter takes 29 coins to unlock.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
There are 2 books I'm currently reading on Yonder app on android that are LitRPG.

One is "Return to Player", which is a very good story. The other is "I'm The Max Level Newbie", which I think I like more. Both are very good stories, and release new chapters (for free) on an almost daily basis. However, they're only free 1 chapter a day. If you read more than that, you have to use the coins. There are random coin events that give you 500 each time. Each chapter takes 29 coins to unlock.
Just use lightnovelpub.com with webtoepub and send to kindle. Its free. Both those stories were on lightnovelpub.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
PoA is one of my regular Reads on RR.

Unfortunately due to who Liz IS she has/had a tier 40ish? guardian
her parents ARE Royals-Mara and Leon and they are DELIGHTFUL- they replace the tier 5?10? planet with one Leon Drags thru the Void and move EVERYONE to the new planet(and give compensation) where Liz and Matt have SEX for the first time- Mara WANTS grandkids-- and are just awesome hilarious characters. (they are also afraid of Matt and Liz's Trainer....)
and imo the way he has set up the universe is pretty good. aster is fun too.

tiers 1-10 are -for the most part training wheel.

currently they are tier 11 on RR for the latest arc.

They are on a world where the training wheels/protections are OFF. The world- an artifact possibly higher than tier 50- does not let ANY person over tier 14 on the planet live and all senses by higher tiers are just...blocked. if a tier 14 person hits their inspiration and tiers to 15 on planet, they DIE. a tier 40 person tries to land, they DIE. etc. it is a very well written arc with good character growth for all the "main" characters.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Read the 3 or 4 KU books of Battlemage Farmer. I like the twist that he's literally the ultimate power in the world pretty much, but he can't use it unless he wants to bring the world closer to destruction. However, it still sort of makes anything dangerous seem trivial since you know he's probably just going to use his powers anyway. But still, I do like the change of pace, and overall I enjoyed the books. I was slightly annoyed by the fact that Ellie went from competent farm girl to badass adventurer in seemingly a chapter or two, because I actually really like her character, but I suppose the alternative was reading about him training her for months and months, so whatever.

Book 10 of Reality Benders came out, and man, I'm about over that one. Half the fucking book is naming everyone with their full titles, like Gerd Longname shortname copyshortname copylongname the Space Commando. That might be a Russian thing, since they are all translated to English, but fuck man, no one gives a fuck after the 30th time per book. Also, not much at all happened in this book to further the overall plot. And they aren't on KU so I have to pirate them, which honestly is almost too much trouble now with how fucking easy KU is!

Started Azarinth Healer. I hope it gets as good as you guys say it does. Not feeling the MC at all yet, but to be fair I'm only a couple chapters in.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Read the 3 or 4 KU books of Battlemage Farmer. I like the twist that he's literally the ultimate power in the world pretty much, but he can't use it unless he wants to bring the world closer to destruction. However, it still sort of makes anything dangerous seem trivial since you know he's probably just going to use his powers anyway. But still, I do like the change of pace, and overall I enjoyed the books. I was slightly annoyed by the fact that Ellie went from competent farm girl to badass adventurer in seemingly a chapter or two, because I actually really like her character, but I suppose the alternative was reading about him training her for months and months, so whatever.

Book 10 of Reality Benders came out, and man, I'm about over that one. Half the fucking book is naming everyone with their full titles, like Gerd Longname shortname copyshortname copylongname the Space Commando. That might be a Russian thing, since they are all translated to English, but fuck man, no one gives a fuck after the 30th time per book. Also, not much at all happened in this book to further the overall plot. And they aren't on KU so I have to pirate them, which honestly is almost too much trouble now with how fucking easy KU is!

Started Azarinth Healer. I hope it gets as good as you guys say it does. Not feeling the MC at all yet, but to be fair I'm only a couple chapters in.
Personally I stopped azarinth healer around 200 chapters I think. Honestly never liked the character, and the plot was kinda whatever. Basically became another numbers get bigger story.

• 1Solidarity

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Personally I stopped azarinth healer around 200 chapters I think. Honestly never liked the character, and the plot was kinda whatever. Basically became another numbers get bigger story.
I just saw a couple of videos complaining about that new game Forspoken. The main character in Azarinth Healer seems EXACTLY the same as that character. "Did I just dodge arrows? I'm awesome!!" Shut the fuck up.

• 1Worf

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I just saw a couple of videos complaining about that new game Forspoken. The main character in Azarinth Healer seems EXACTLY the same as that character. "Did I just dodge arrows? I'm awesome!!" Shut the fuck up.
Pretty much. Think It’s a dude writing a woman as if she was a dude. Overall just a bad character

• 1Like