Loki

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Is this gonna be another hairsplitting over Kang the Conqueror vs He Who Remains?

Look, I don't know what he was like in the comics. I'm just saying that directing the ultimate power to act like Theo Huxtable back from college and full of himself was weird. I dunno what they were going for there, but I don't see how it came across as anything but a disappointment.

Not sure why you find it to be hairsplitting, but his character is not supposed to be intimidating or the ultimate power. You're complaining that he's not things he's not intended to be.

Hence why he was so easily killed once they past the point where he already knew everything that was going to happen.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Thank you, I couldn't really put my finger on what I didnt like about Kang but this is a perfect summation...he was Theo Huxtable and thats not intimidating at all.
Did you listen to his speech? He is not supposed to be intimidating, he is there to keep the peace. He even says when he is killed, another will just take his place and it could be way worse.

Sevens

Log Wizard
Did you listen to his speech? He is not supposed to be intimidating, he is there to keep the peace. He even says when he is killed, another will just take his place and it could be way worse.
Yes, I guess I worded that wrong...the actors portrayal as this character was in no way shape or form interesting. He wasnt funny, scary, weird or anything. He was a nothing burger. Yes, this isn't "kang" but neither was he anything else. He was Theo Huxtable, and I have no interest in him or his story line. Loki is one of my favorite MCU characters but his show just wasnt very good (Aside from him and Owen Wilson). Hawkeye, who is the butt of Avenger Jokes, had a way better show than him. Better characters, better story, better action, Just everything better. When Wilson Fisk showed up on screen you could just feel the menace oozing out of him, the way he talks, looks, reacts....He who remains just up and squatted on his desk like he was going to take a shit.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I mean, if you listen to his speech he's killed countless enemies, fed them to the big cloud monster that he made into a pet/weapon. This version of him, not some other version. This is supposedly the version that beat all the other ones and put an end to it.

I get that he's not supposed to be The Hulk, but really, can you imagine the guy we saw beating anyone at anything?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They made kang into a very terrible caricature. I will only rewatch one scene of Loki

Last edited:

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I mean, if you listen to his speech he's killed countless enemies, fed them to the big cloud monster that he made into a pet/weapon. This version of him, not some other version. This is supposedly the version that beat all the other ones and put an end to it.

I get that he's not supposed to be The Hulk, but really, can you imagine the guy we saw beating anyone at anything?
Yes

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The Kang we see is at the very end of his reign, after having beaten all the others, and then lived countless lifetimes controlling the multiverse through puppetmastering the TVA. He says he's tired, and he obviously meant it. This is not Kang at the height of his conquering.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
If you're calling him Kang, you just don't get it. If you're unhappy with Jonathan Major's performance here because he isn't "Kang-like evil", you just don't get it.

• 1Picard
  • 1Worf
  • 1Barf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I think I do get it, when we see Kang the Conqueror he'll have a very different demeanor.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

He's just a regular human with no superhuman abilities and by himself isn't and shouldn't appear to be a threat.

Being able to control Alioth was how he apparently "defeated" the others, but in reality he defeated nothing. It was all a temporary victory that was always going to end whenever he got tired of hanging out at the end of time. Now even after being the "victor" for however many years, its like it never even happened

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
He's just a regular human with no superhuman abilities and by himself isn't and shouldn't appear to be a threat.

Being able to control Alioth was how he apparently "defeated" the others, but in reality he defeated nothing. It was all a temporary victory that was always going to end whenever he got tired of hanging out at the end of time. Now even after being the "victor" for however many years, its like it never even happened
He beat the evil, universe conquering Kangs. Presumably they threw all kinds of violence at him but he was fine. He's been doing this for millennia at least.

Again, we all get the distinction between multiverse versions. We're sitting here talking about a show that had Alligator Loki and Girl Loki. We get that the multiverse versions are different and Kang isnt He Who Remains. Its not terribly hard to get.

But also, He Who Remains *is* Kang and defeated the evillest, most powerful versions of Kang countless times.

And ended up Theo Huxtable.

What happened in between defeating the ultimate powers in the universe and transmogrifying back into a smarmy college kid?

• 1Like

Sevens

Log Wizard
You keep saying this was after controlling the time line for an eternity and he was tired. Dude didnt look tired, didnt act tired just didnt seem tired. I would have liked it if he was portrayed as bored or tired..but he wasnt. He was going for weird and just looked stupid.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
He seemed more insane to me than anything else. Makes sense given that he's spent practically eternity alone.

spronk

FPS noob
you could almost say KANG WUZ KANGZ

infinity is a hard concept to get across in TV shows, it makes everything pointless. If there are an infinite number of Kangs it doesn't matter what you do, it is part of the infinite set. Whatever you "stopped" will still happen in another infinite number of universes. Nothing you do matters in the slightest, there are an infinite number of universes where everything else that can happen, does, and anything you do to "change" things is part of the infinite set.

Why I'm never a fan of infinite multiverse stories, Fringe and Counterpart were cool in that they postulated only 2 or 3 universes that were merging/colliding, not infinite.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
He beat the evil, universe conquering Kangs. Presumably they threw all kinds of violence at him but he was fine. He's been doing this for millennia at least.

Again, we all get the distinction between multiverse versions. We're sitting here talking about a show that had Alligator Loki and Girl Loki. We get that the multiverse versions are different and Kang isnt He Who Remains. Its not terribly hard to get.

But also, He Who Remains *is* Kang and defeated the evillest, most powerful versions of Kang countless times.

And ended up Theo Huxtable.

What happened in between defeating the ultimate powers in the universe and transmogrifying back into a smarmy college kid?

Not sure why you get the college kid or Theo Huxtable from. You seem to think it's clever enough to keep saying, but the actors in his mid 30s so what does this even mean?

Again, he has no super powers and was explained that he used Alioth to win the war of the Kangs. Also millions or billions of years happened.

You saying he's the exact same person makes it sound like you just googled this and believe he's the same as Immortus. No version of Kang is all powerful or intimidating without their technology. Seeing as how he was wanting to die here, it would make no sense for him to try and be all powerful

Fadaar

That guy
the only Kang in the series was a statue at the very end, we haven’t met Kang in the flesh yet

Chris

Potato del Grande
Well now it's been explined to me why "Kang" was boring because of story reasons... yeah why didn't they write the story to make him not be boring?

• 2Like
  • 1Picard

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Not sure why you get the college kid or Theo Huxtable from. You seem to think it's clever enough to keep saying, but the actors in his mid 30s so what does this even mean?
I dunno, did you never watch the Cosby Show?

We watched it as a family every week. I figured a lot of us had, and were familiar with it. When Theo went off to college, he went through a smarmy know it all phase. The physical appearance and mannerisms of He Who Remains are a dead ringer for Theo Huxtable during his knowitall college years.

It isnt about being clever, its more that once you see it you can't unsee it. I've referred to him as HWR more than Theo Huxtable but I always have to remind myself.

• 1Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
He basically knew everything as long as the timeline was pruned and kept in one "strand" for lack of better words.

I know it sounds kinda juvenile but I think of it like... the timeline is a tree, Kang is the gardener, Alioth & the TVA are like the chainsaw. Once he stopped doing his "job", the tree started to grow into a full multi-branched tree with leaves and such; chaos again... free will.

He let it go, and that's when it started to branch and that's also when he took off his wrist thingermabob and said it felt so good, all this honesty. He let the stifling order go... the dictatorship and rule.

Stifling order or cataclysmic chaos... that's the two options.

Which... certain sects of (please correct me if my details are fuzzy [they probably are, I don't get too into this kinda blasphemous shit]) Satanism/paganish groups have sort of hinted at... of Lucifer being the morning star that actually gives man free will via the manipulation of eating the fruit... that chaos and free will are the same. That the devil is actually the ironic good one between God and the devil... as Devil's Advocate too hints at: I'm a fan of man.

dev1.jpg

The symbolism from this is clear... and what did HWR say at the end? "We're all villians here". Loki, Sylvie, Him.

Devils.

Can't wait for season 2. Absolutely cannot wait.

• 1Picard