Lost Ark Online

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Does anyone pay attention to the tripod hero's crap for market sales? I just sold a +3 to all skill for 2k but it used none of the normal skills for shock or taijutsu for raid or any other spec that I could find. It sold near instantly so I feel like I fucked up listing it cheap, but I don't normally pay any attention to that market as I just dismantle anything not on my list. Some secret market I don't know about or just some random that saw triple 3 and thought it was worth buying regardless of skills?

I also don't pay that much attention to tripods that aren't your typical use skills. Could be PvP? Or also keep in mind there are many dumb dumbs in this game that buy some of the most worthless shit for massive prices. This is in every game though. I am not very good at the AH market in this game at this point but in WoW I sold tons of completely worthless dogshit and insanely overpriced values and people bought them all the time to much surprise.

I have sold a fair number of items with 2 +3 tripod levels on worthless skills for a few hundred to a couple of thousand. Unfortunately I have yet to have any gg items that have sold for 10k or more.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Got my bard to 1385 today, so now caught up with my blade who becomes my alt.
Should we tell him the dirty secret about Bards?
It's a trade-off but I agree with this 100% as opposed to those that prefer gear to last forever and be difficult to catch up. I have enough gold right now where I could quit until Valtan is released and log in day 1 to being higher ilvl than everyone (and I don't see anything wrong with that). There's plenty of nuisance progression I'd be behind on though, which is fine by me. Janx nailed it when he said that he felt like the carrot was the bosses rather than the loot. The enjoyable aspect of Lost Ark is the combat / characters and encounters to come --- it's not in the uber loot (albeit there's lots of that out there, especially with relic accessories). 99% of people don't even have there legendary engravings --- that is player power.
Games that don't have some sort of "catch-up" mechanic are doomed to bleed players and never see any influx of "new" blood. BDO had this problem for a long while (still might, since seasons didn't do quite enough to alleviate it - at least when I played last)and while seasons made things a bit better, it can still be daunting to a new player when you find out just how much "catching up" there is to do.

While I do think games sometimes go too far in completely invalidating players' past accomplishments, hard gear resets are absolutely necessary for the long-term health of an MMO. I also think class redesigns/rebalances, ability redesigns, killing ability bloat, etc. is vital as well. That's why I've always been a much bigger fan of devs handing out "permanent" rewards for defeating very difficult encounters, such as mounts, titles, skins, etc. That way, even if all that loot is "worthless" in 2 months time, you still have something to show off your accomplishments.
It's a different style of loot, which turns off a lot of people. I feel like coming from a traditional MMO (e.g. WoW) those that were motivated by loot get turned away by Lost Ark. There is something to be said about getting an ultra rare trinket that takes 40 weeks to drop. Lost Ark doesn't have this, instead, similar to it's content, you're mostly equalized with an RNG sprinkle tossed in there fyi honing. Essentially they let you play 'did the boss drop my item upgrade' every day/week. Instead of it being a boss that has a 10% chance to drop what you want though, it's your honing with a psychological feels bad giant red X when you don't get your drop. Some fuckers end up playing a class where everything seems to drop (honing RNG Gods!) and others are stuck getting shit luck, just like every single MMO in the history of time. It all even's out though and provided they don't pull another Argos, I don't really get the complaint since you're still able to focus and do the stuff that the game is actually better at than every.single.game.in.the.industry.by.far. While that might be a subjective opinion, I think if you play the legion raids and don't enjoy the encounters on any classes, you're fucked in the head.

Put in a different way: Lost Ark does not use it's development time into gear. They put it into encounter design & class design. Thus if you get your thrill via getting that trinket and not in learning a complex fight and beating it, this is a terrible game for you. The ultra rare drops are still there (via accessories with a perfect roll / legendary engraving books) but they're not restricted so that only you can get them. Some fucker who made a lot of Gold playing the system (e.g. me) or someone who swipes for gold will be able to get these. You still get your regular old loot via honing upgrades but really, that's always been boring - they've just made it more boring via a honing window to remove the disguise of what other MMOs do. Legion Commanders will offer a bit of an added caveat to that with relic gear / set bonuses but the principal will remain the same.
I've always felt that MMO players who are loot "obsessed" or loot centric tended to always be the most dogshit players and largest sponges in a guild. The mentality it takes for loot to trump most every other aspect a game offers is usually one shared by the laziest people.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Should we tell him the dirty secret about Bards?

Games that don't have some sort of "catch-up" mechanic are doomed to bleed players and never see any influx of "new" blood. BDO had this problem for a long while (still might, since seasons didn't do quite enough to alleviate it - at least when I played last)and while seasons made things a bit better, it can still be daunting to a new player when you find out just how much "catching up" there is to do.

While I do think games sometimes go too far in completely invalidating players' past accomplishments, hard gear resets are absolutely necessary for the long-term health of an MMO. I also think class redesigns/rebalances, ability redesigns, killing ability bloat, etc. is vital as well. That's why I've always been a much bigger fan of devs handing out "permanent" rewards for defeating very difficult encounters, such as mounts, titles, skins, etc. That way, even if all that loot is "worthless" in 2 months time, you still have something to show off your accomplishments.

I've always felt that MMO players who are loot "obsessed" or loot centric tended to always be the most dogshit players and largest sponges in a guild. The mentality it takes for loot to trump most every other aspect a game offers is usually one shared by the laziest people.

Still time to re-roll a Paladin on NA East!

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
How is the US version of this doing? I was really looking forward to it and played it a bunch at launch, but then sooo many other games have come out that have collectively consumed me.

I suspect I'll come back to this maybe in the summer when we enter the next famine-wave of the feast&famine nature of video game entertainment. You might think they would learn from Hollyweird to stagger their releases...

Instant queues on everything & a healthy guild population with pre-made stuff done twice a week (filling up and actually having people sit out on the main day). It's a great time to pick it up with a catch up mechanic going on, albeit I'm sure they'll be another one come summer. Just remember to roll on Regulus and to reach out for an invite on Discord.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Does anyone pay attention to the tripod hero's crap for market sales? I just sold a +3 to all skill for 2k but it used none of the normal skills for shock or taijutsu for raid or any other spec that I could find. It sold near instantly so I feel like I fucked up listing it cheap, but I don't normally pay any attention to that market as I just dismantle anything not on my list. Some secret market I don't know about or just some random that saw triple 3 and thought it was worth buying regardless of skills?

Missed this originally. I pay close attention to these as they're a significant source of upgrades, albeit sometimes it takes a bit of research to figure out. I suspect however that the +3 to all was simply someone seeing 'shiny +3' and grabbing it if it wasn't part of standard builds (2k is a good chunk of change for these -- I sell / buy a lot around the 200-500g mark).

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Still time to re-roll a Paladin on NA East!
LOL, believe me, I've definitely contemplated it multiple times. If it wasn't for needing to also spin up another stable of T3 alts, I'd do it. At this point, I'll just wait for transfers to get sold on Mari's.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh, another thing that's kind of a minor annoyance with their design (not sure if *actually* matters in any way), but if you change your main like I'm doing, there's no good way to change which character is in the "main" guild versus "alt" guild. Since there's such a long lockout, I'd be giving up a bunch of stuff to switch them.

Like I said, I don't think it actually matters, but just a stupid design choice.
Well if you've been guild hopping it's a long time, but I read it resets after 30days in the same guild. If you haven't left before, the penalty is only 1 day. So you wait for weekly reset, leave guild, join new guild on friday, and then have to wait 3 days so until monday to become a guild member, and generally you can get all 3 weekly missions done in the time left, maybe donate some of the honor medal shit you buy from mari's shop to make sure you reach the req to get weekly bloodstones. If you've been guild hopping though you kinda need to give up on a week of rewards which kinda sucks. More if you've been really switching often. You can live without a guild though, it's just annoying cause it wastes mats every week. Ultimately it's mostly only like 35greater leapstones though.

Could be that it's just someone tweaking their build and using non meta stuff, not entirely sure without knowing what tripods exactly they were. I've sold a few of these for 600g when it's +3 to the good tripods for demon shadow hunter, but I've barely found any to begin with(I bought mine too, you can just buy them, copy them to inventory to serve as your base, then resell them for the same price/slightly less).

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I wonder how long it’s going to take for them to come up with a server transfer ticket.

To be honest servers shouldn't exist in games like these given how many things are simply separated via channel/instanced. It's just another shitty barrier for people to play together.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
To be honest servers shouldn't exist in games like these given how many things are simply separated via channel/instanced. It's just another shitty barrier for people to play together.
I assume it's easier to design and maintain this way, but yeah it's absolute shit in modern mmos.

As for server transfers, they've been running tests in korea, and supposedly russia had some server merges too at some point, so some of the tech is there but not sure how long they'd take to make it work here, especially since whoever's doing the server shit looks fucking retarded seeing as how they didn't bother launching with 18/24 char slots or how they changed the name database stuff to remove caps for whatever reason.

They're probably going to have to seriously look into it though as some regions are already pretty dead(EUW as expected emptied out without refilling once the initial rush passed, and south america is pretty fucked just by design from what I understood), and even within the good regions some servers are apparently dead as fuck(especially the ones that opened late).

I picked a pretty empty server early on but it has filled up nicely during early access/launch and it's still very populated nowadays, like whenever moake or chaos gates are up I often go gather in these places and there's always dozens of channels open. At noon on a weekday there were 9 full moake channels earlier for example, and all of them are filled with 1385+ ppl nowadays, not many leechers anymore so very healthy pop.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I will chalk that tripod piece up to luck then though I think I'm going to revisit all my settings and add more stuff to better keep an eye on it. Don't want to miss out on easy gold.

I did my 1 and only solas run with my newly created and last character (anyone who did this multiple times is a masochist so I'm glad I got most of my solas cards from packs) and finished my lost wind card set. Couldn't bring myself to do Bard or Pally so I did Gunlancer which seems like a happy medium. Already hit T2 with the event pass the double upgrades are sweet. Going to KT it up to Punika and should have my 9 char T3 army done. Got immensely bad streak this morning pushing Zerker to 1370 pitying every single piece from 12->13 and then pitied 3 from 13-14. Hopefully I get some 1 taps for 14->15 otherwise I'm going to run out of leapstones ;[

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>

Screenshot 2022-04-26 at 15-09-20 Update to the Express Mission Event - Official News _ Offici...png

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
I will chalk that tripod piece up to luck then though I think I'm going to revisit all my settings and add more stuff to better keep an eye on it. Don't want to miss out on easy gold.

I did my 1 and only solas run with my newly created and last character (anyone who did this multiple times is a masochist so I'm glad I got most of my solas cards from packs) and finished my lost wind card set. Couldn't bring myself to do Bard or Pally so I did Gunlancer which seems like a happy medium. Already hit T2 with the event pass the double upgrades are sweet. Going to KT it up to Punika and should have my 9 char T3 army done. Got immensely bad streak this morning pushing Zerker to 1370 pitying every single piece from 12->13 and then pitied 3 from 13-14. Hopefully I get some 1 taps for 14->15 otherwise I'm going to run out of leapstones ;[

I've mentioned it before but my Solas runs were the serious low point for me. They are a terrible experience and I would advice anyone not to do them. For the love of God, at least make it so when you complete the Lutteran siege that Thairain gives you the card and you don't need to keep going.

Today however was a high point: started off with getting 3x fortune's in a cube, which gave me enough materials to attempt my weapon. One tapped +19, which was a damn good feeling. Also did 2 extra South Vern runs and I now have my 12 awakening set of Light of Salvation. Gonna be a grind to get it to 18 but since I'll have my 9 Ignea's token this week, will start using Mari's shop for card packs instead of rapport items once more.

I do wish they'd release Arcana / Destroyer -- I have 8 characters that will be in T3 on the main account and would add an extra alt or two if there was a class I actually wanted to play but there's really none left. Planning to bring a few more of the alts to 1370 and start optimizing them from an engraving / accessory standpoint, albeit the pheon cost of this is really off-putting. Talk about a system designed to make you not want to use the auction house.

Edit: also finally succeeded at my end game goal:

1651009363256.png

For those curious what it looks like ilevel wise:

1651009396387.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I am now 1365. Took two weeks off and started two weeks late. And have no alts in t3 and had no alts in t2 when that mattered for main. Still having a good time.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I've mentioned it before but my Solas runs were the serious low point for me. They are a terrible experience and I would advice anyone not to do them. For the love of God, at least make it so when you complete the Lutteran siege that Thairain gives you the card and you don't need to keep going.

Today however was a high point: started off with getting 3x fortune's in a cube, which gave me enough materials to attempt my weapon. One tapped +19, which was a damn good feeling. Also did 2 extra South Vern runs and I now have my 12 awakening set of Light of Salvation. Gonna be a grind to get it to 18 but since I'll have my 9 Ignea's token this week, will start using Mari's shop for card packs instead of rapport items once more.

I do wish they'd release Arcana / Destroyer -- I have 8 characters that will be in T3 on the main account and would add an extra alt or two if there was a class I actually wanted to play but there's really none left. Planning to bring a few more of the alts to 1370 and start optimizing them from an engraving / accessory standpoint, albeit the pheon cost of this is really off-putting. Talk about a system designed to make you not want to use the auction house.

The pheon costs are obnoxious with multi char. I had to buy another 100 for zerker to gear up (1 tapped 4 pieces, 2 tapped the rest from 14->15) and with 3 stones buys + accessories already dry again. If they let you trade accessories between roster it would be so much better so I could funnel down pieces that weren't worth selling but perfectly serviceable for alts. At this rate it's just another 5k cost added to gear up any 1370s ;[

With their janky class release I didn't feel like waiting so I figured just getting 9 up and running was better than nothing. I enjoy most of them now though it just sucks it takes until mid/late T3 for them to come online. Wanted to delete my deadeye and striker the entire time but now both do some solid damage and have smoothed out with skill points/gear/better runes.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Used my feiton pass on a striker. Really fun class…took me a bit to get going in PvP as it plays a little differently than Wardancer.

I don’t quite get how push immunity works though. I feel like that doesn’t really mean what they think it means or the immune windows are shorter than the animations? It seems as though I’m constantly getting interrupted by what I assume are other immune skills…you would think if two immune skills clash then both characters would just continue with no interruptions?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Used my feiton pass on a striker. Really fun class…took me a bit to get going in PvP as it plays a little differently than Wardancer.

I don’t quite get how push immunity works though. I feel like that doesn’t really mean what they think it means or the immune windows are shorter than the animations? It seems as though I’m constantly getting interrupted by what I assume are other immune skills…you would think if two immune skills clash then both characters would just continue with no interruptions?
Is it push immunity or paralysis immunity? Push should block everything besides tremor/stun/shocked. But paralysis immunity is just hit stun immunity, prevents you from getting interupted by random ass damage stuff, but any hard disable will go through(knockdowns, knock ups, floats and obviously all the previous stuff). I'm not sure if some skills aren't protected for the whole thing though. I play classes with very little protection in pvp so I don't have too much experience with trades.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I think it’s the different levels of protections I’m just not familiar enough with yet. Once I started adapting to the idea that I’m going to get interrupted by everything and just hit and run I started doing much better.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Why do the worst failure shitters in this game have T3 glaivers who do nothing by die and zero damage.

• 1Truth!