Lost Ark Online

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Not all classes are gender locked but most are at the moment. The striker and deadeye are the only two that are alternates at the moment.

Wouldn't really say that this is accurate. All classes are gender locked. Some classes (such as those you referenced) have a male/female counterpart and those counterparts share some abilities but they play vastly differently and are still unique classes, mostly by virtue of the fact that the class engravings will be different. As an example, for the Deadeye (male) / Gunslinger (female), the Deadeye has more of a focus / damage on their shotgun abilities, which results in it being in a more upfront class where as the Gunslinger has more of a focus on their sniper weapon (thus obviously a lot more ranged). In later tiers, one of the more popular Deadeye engraving removes their use of shotgun / sniper altogether and instead increases everything to do with their pistols so it becomes a much faster paced double pistol playstyle so while you have some overlap of abilities, they're going to play completely differently in addition to having some different abilities. It cannot be stressed enough how engravings end up modifying playstyle and being a huge portion of the game.

As it relates to loot: that's easily a 20 minutes YouTube video to discuss. There's just too much to unpack. It's a mix between WoW & Diablo with a lot of systems in place, set items from raids, and your traditional Asian +1 upgrade that costs gold/materials (thankfully you can't destroy items or go down in levels, albeit there's still a lot of RNG with failures to upgrade that takes place).

As it relates to the grind, this really isn't a very intensive grind MMO. From a standpoint of things you really kind of need to do every day:

1- Chaos Dungeons (2x per day - these can be completely solo or in a group and are mobbing maps that you clear out for materials to upgrade and gear). ~30 minutes or so max per day.
2- 3x Epona dailies (these are daily quests used to obtain materials & increase reputation to unlock things). If you set your Bifrost's accordingly, these can largely be completed in ~10-15 minutes per day.
3- 2x Guardian raids (these are mostly done in groups but can also be solo'd). They'll take a bit of time at first while you learn them but are ultimately pretty straightforward and will end up being 15-20 minutes a day to clear.

The rest will be weekly activities that you'll also want to complete but can be done at your own pace and, for the most part, follow a similar structure / time commitment as the above. Of course, if you're rolling with 4 alts and looking to keep up all of the above, this becomes quite grindy. If you're sain and don't care about staying 100% maxxed, it really is a very little time commitment. In addition, the game will provide a myriad of catch up mechanics when new content is unlocked so even if you end up falling behind, it won't take you long to catch back up once new content is released.

Where the game shines from a grind perspective is that, the stuff that you need to do is all rather fun / quick to complete. There's a metric fuckton of completely optional stuff that won't really increase your power too much for those that have time and want to play a game 12 hours a day though. As an example, you'll run into Mokoko seeds while playing at the very beginning. These are optional collections that can be exchanged for some rewards (e.g. a faster boat). If you decide you want to unlock all of them, you're commiting a lot of time to going on every map and finding each & every one of them (even with a guide map for them, there's a lot that are hidden through secret paths and this will take time). You thus have things to do to keep you busy and have fun (if you like that sort of thing) but for those who don't give a shit, well, you're not really losing out on very much by not doing them. It's a good system in so far as MMOs are concerned.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Wouldn't really say that this is accurate. All classes are gender locked. Some classes (such as those you referenced) have a male/female counterpart and those counterparts share some abilities but they play vastly differently and are still unique classes, mostly by virtue of the fact that the class engravings will be different. As an example, for the Deadeye (male) / Gunslinger (female), the Deadeye has more of a focus / damage on their shotgun abilities, which results in it being in a more upfront class where as the Gunslinger has more of a focus on their sniper weapon (thus obviously a lot more ranged). In later tiers, one of the more popular Deadeye engraving removes their use of shotgun / sniper altogether and instead increases everything to do with their pistols so it becomes a much faster paced double pistol playstyle so while you have some overlap of abilities, they're going to play completely differently in addition to having some different abilities. It cannot be stressed enough how engravings end up modifying playstyle and being a huge portion of the game.
Ah my bad. That Sywo video is all I’ve seen on classes and he only covered one because he said they were slightly different but so similar it didn’t matter. That’s good to know they’re a little different, I thought it was really stupid and confusing to rename the class just based on the gender.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I have long suspected that the gender-lock is, in part, why the NA release has been delayed. Other companies can get away with the unabashed boob shaking in your average Korean MMO, but Amazon probably cannot without at least providing commensurate abs and bulge jostle.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
At least it isn't as bad as TERA used to be - they used to gender AND race lock classes. Want to play a reaper? Hope you like the loli race

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Should I be expecting an email/access if I bought a founder pack on Steam?

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Should I be expecting an email/access if I bought a founder pack on Steam?

No to the email, yes to being able to access. You should simply re-load steam and you should now be able to download the closed beta client.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Janx

<Silver Donator>
No to the email, yes to being able to access. You should simply re-load steam and you should now be able to download the closed beta client.
Hmm restarted this morning and nada. Will try again in a few I guess.

Edit: Found the download hidden away in my library.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Might do bard but need someone to carry the dps to group with.

Thats what I am doing until I can do lance master.

Will have to see how important ping is. It kind of sucked when trying RUS version. Playing to east coast from west coast generally isnt too bad(based on new world), but can sometimes be double what I would get to a west coast server. And in pvp in this game, that could be even more important.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Thats what I am doing until I can do lance master.

Will have to see how important ping is. It kind of sucked when trying RUS version. Playing to east coast from west coast generally isnt too bad(based on new world), but can sometimes be double what I would get to a west coast server. And in pvp in this game, that could be even more important.

Lance master is such a fun class, especially for PVP. Looking forward to Scouter being released the most though as I've committed to not re-rolling mains too much, that'll probably be the only switch I make.

If you're playing this weekend, do give the East server a try to see if it's workable for you. 3v3 queues while we talk about the old FFXIV raids would be a blast!

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I just hope controller play is as good as console diablo 3. Would solidify me poopsocking all week.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Bought a founders pack, I’ll be in sometime this week.

Are there a lot of servers or just one for the load testing? I’m down to play with some forum bros.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

ARTILLERIST is calling to me, don't normally like ranged in games like this but going to give it a go. Will be that or Paladin.​

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Bought a founders pack, I’ll be in sometime this week.

Are there a lot of servers or just one for the load testing? I’m down to play with some forum bros.

They said on the 4th they will only have 1 server per region, to stress test/tweak loads bearing