Lost Ark Online

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Got kind of excited about this after watching some videos, and tempted to get the founders pack, but ironically I think we're going to end up on the road sometime next week. So I'd be paying for the early access and then stopping at release to probably pick it back up a week later.

Not sure what to do now.

Unless you're buying the useless $15 pack you're mainly paying for Royal Crystals. And the bit of silver and healing pots/consumables are somewhat helpful(saves you a bit of gold). The headstart is just a worthless bonus companies throw in to add perceived value. Yes, occasionally it will give you a slight advantage, but not this time. The week you don't play will give time for your rested bonuses to cap out, so no huge loss.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well technically, if you're NA, you can get somewhat of a lead if you no life the first few days. Not like massively important, but the daily resets are at 1AM local time but the game launches globally at the same time so in the US(west coast especially) you can play all day on tuesday before the reset. EU gets kinda shafted since the game ends up launching in the evening, with the reset shortly after, so first day is basically "wasted". Past that, the weekly reset is on thursday. So you can get some of the weekly stuff done before the reset if you play right away. On EU, you basically only have ~30hours before the weekly so it's not that much time but on NA you end up with closer to 40 so that's more time to get stuff done.

Realistically though it's still a short amount of time and between the leveling and upgrading you need to do, you'll likely only be able to get a few of the weeklies done before the reset. PvP una weekly and Abyssal dungeons(the 340 ones) is likely all you can fit? Maybe a ghost ship if there's one that spawns at the right time? Although I'm not sure what gear you need for that. More Una weeklies too if they're doable, I'm not 100% sure on how they work, I think the Guardian Soul one needs at least 3 days of Guardians, but the Chaos Dungeon one might be doable if it counts Chaos Dungeons past the 2 daily runs? Grinding Chaos dungeons or PvP would also let you buy the weekly capped materials from that as much as possible.

All in all, it's a very minor advantage but there's at least a little bit of an advantage to the headstart. Past that though and for example assuming you wouldn't have time to no life leveling+grinding before the reset anyway, you basically lose nothing. The game's all about long term grinds and getting 3 days ahead won't amount to shit.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'd say get it if you're planning to buy the premium currency for costumes or something anyways, and then you can use the headstart to get your name locked in if that matters to you. At the very least you have all the available sources to know what you're getting into, so you won't get burned investing into something like New World.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I was going to go with bronze. I may just forego it completely depending on when we decide to leave and just pick up the game fresh when we get back.

I do enjoy a good release rush, and I'm retired so I can make the most of it, but if I only get 2-4 days to play and then have to shelve it for a week, it's probably not worth it.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I was going to go with bronze. I may just forego it completely depending on when we decide to leave and just pick up the game fresh when we get back.

I do enjoy a good release rush, and I'm retired so I can make the most of it, but if I only get 2-4 days to play and then have to shelve it for a week, it's probably not worth it.

Why bronze? All you get is a piddly headstart, a useless title, a useless pet (you get a free pet at level 50 for doing the pet tutorial), and the 30 day aura.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Just for the head start. And it sounds like everyone is saying it doesn't matter.

Pretty much. It's just, if you're gonna spend $15 on that, it's loads better to just spend another $10 and get the RC, the consumables and the silver.

As Pyros Pyros was saying, there's a few things you can squeeze in before reset, but it's insignificant really. You could maybe get a few epona (Una?) badges, but not enough for the weekly bag. You can only do 3 Una weeklies (for 10 points each) and other than the pvp one and the chaos dungeon one, I don't think you could complete any more. Oh, unless you get lucky and get a boss rush ticket drop from Chaos dungeon. And the points you get for dailies is 2 each, so 6 per day per character (capped at 18 per day.)

Oh, wait, you can actually do the Chaos dungeon weekly twice (different rewards.) I think the "extra" runs do count towards the weekly. ( Voldeth Voldeth should know) Been a while since I've done it, so not 100% on that. I don't remember if the pvp weekly has two as well, I don't do that one, takes too long.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I don't know anything about this game but dropped in to see what it was about. 2nd post i read outlines the importance of dailies and weeklies. Back down to 0% interest.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I don't know anything about this game but dropped in to see what it was about. 2nd post i read outlines the importance of dailies and weeklies. Back down to 0% interest.
I hear you. The game is not for everyone.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Doesn't matter at all. Once we all hit T3, we'll be working through it for a year or more.
But not like we're "working through" a WoW update for an entire year until a new patch, right? Each tier here is significant and actually takes that much time to be done with?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
But not like we're "working through" a WoW update for an entire year until a new patch, right? Each tier here is significant and actually takes that much time to be done with?
Kinda. T3 is the only "big" tier, T1 and T2 are just relics of the past updates at this point. T3 will last a while just because there's nothing else to do besides that for now, since KR doesn't have T4 and we're starting late anyway. So T3 will last, but you can consider T3 as a WoW expansion. It has several patches with several gear upgrades and new raid and story content added, but eventually it'll be phased out when they release a new "expansion", which will be T4 and gear will just reset where you start doing the new MSQ, then run 2 chaos dungeon and get blue gear that's like 150-200ilvl higher than your super raid gear, and you'll have to refarm a bunch of shit(T2 gems work at 50% efficiency in T3 gear for example, so likely T3 gems will work the same in T4 gear and such).

So in a way, this is like playing at the end of BFA or Legion or Shadowlands when that releases, there's a lot of progression content to go through. There's some form of catchup, but not as clear cut as wow does usually, so you still have to progress through the previous "wow patches" instead of doing 4 world quests and getting gear that's better than what dropped at the start of the expansion. Because of this, you have several months worth of "content" to progress through. Plus our version actually has none of the "real" endgame content available and will be released over time so it'll be a true progression.

But yeah you can expect to have a year or more to spend in T3, and once you're in T3 everything you do will count towards that progression, unlike wow where they do mini gear wipes inside a given expansion, so the rush isn't particularily important.

Besides that, there's also a lot of long time grinds that improve your character on an account wide level instead, and those are arguably even more important than just the traditional gear threadmill. They offer large amounts of character power, like 40-50% increases, similar to wow borrowed power shit, only it's permanent(so far). I'm talking about stuff like getting skill potions, stats from legacy level(account level), cards and engravings. These basically carry over between tiers, and are long term investments that benefit all characters on your account while taking a long time to progress. Most of these are obtained in direct ways via quests and drops but also from long overall grinds such as Adventure tome completion(completing all objectives for every "continent"), collectibles(island hearts/giant hearts/ignea tokens/omnium stars and to a lesser extent the other stuff) and farming daily/weekly capped various content like Una quests, world bosses, coop events. All of these are interconnected and connect with other grind systems like Rapport and basically offer a lot of long term avenues to progress your account as a whole, without even actually doing raid content and such. Almost everything you do to progress something in the game will actually improve your account overall, including leveling content(obviously not everything is equal, you're not gonna get +10% dmg by farming a low lvl dungeon, but leveling content helps with adventure tome progression, which offer good rewards).

BDO had similar concepts, with stuff like setting up your empire of workers to generate ressources over time, setting up your farm, getting a cook to turn in boxes and all that so that even passively playing the game you'd make money that would let you progress your character. Although in BDO, most of the progress is via the gear, and the gear itself is a bitch to upgrade, while Lost Ark gear feels at least a little less bad to upgrade(you don't downgrade gear for example, so you don't have to gamble on your shit or have a replacement to try an upgrade, you just get mats, press the button, if it works nice, if it's doesn't well try again next day).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I went with Silver because I'm still not sure if this game is going to do it for me. Would've gone bronze, but after watching some videos from Saintone and Stoopz, potions seem pretty useful later on.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Kinda. T3 is the only "big" tier, T1 and T2 are just relics of the past updates at this point. T3 will last a while just because there's nothing else to do besides that for now, since KR doesn't have T4 and we're starting late anyway. So T3 will last, but you can consider T3 as a WoW expansion. It has several patches with several gear upgrades and new raid and story content added, but eventually it'll be phased out when they release a new "expansion", which will be T4 and gear will just reset where you start doing the new MSQ, then run 2 chaos dungeon and get blue gear that's like 150-200ilvl higher than your super raid gear, and you'll have to refarm a bunch of shit(T2 gems work at 50% efficiency in T3 gear for example, so likely T3 gems will work the same in T4 gear and such).

So in a way, this is like playing at the end of BFA or Legion or Shadowlands when that releases, there's a lot of progression content to go through. There's some form of catchup, but not as clear cut as wow does usually, so you still have to progress through the previous "wow patches" instead of doing 4 world quests and getting gear that's better than what dropped at the start of the expansion. Because of this, you have several months worth of "content" to progress through. Plus our version actually has none of the "real" endgame content available and will be released over time so it'll be a true progression.

This is really not accurate at all. The producer has already stated that they feel that the gear 'reset' that occurred at T3 was a mistake which caused frustration.
So, consensus on the pack that is the most value?

Gold maintains the most value unless you're playing the long game for the plat skin and sale far, far down the road. Apart from that, the only real value in the headstart is for someone whose going to be playing NA and pushing through on day 1 to try and complete dailys/weekly before the reset.

Oh, wait, you can actually do the Chaos dungeon weekly twice (different rewards.) I think the "extra" runs do count towards the weekly. ( Voldeth Voldeth should know) Been a while since I've done it, so not 100% on that. I don't remember if the pvp weekly has two as well, I don't do that one, takes too long.
There's debate on this subject but it should be possible to do, yes. It really depends how much they try to limit this advantage (which they really should).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
This is really not accurate at all. The producer has already stated that they feel that the gear 'reset' that occurred at T3 was a mistake which caused frustration.
Right I probably shouldn't have said that the way I did in terms of full expansion reset like wow does, but I still believe they will do some sort of reset at some point.

DFO does that too, even though it takes months/years to gear up, they still do "gear resets" when they upgrade the level cap, but over the years instead of doing the harsh stupid resets they used to, they give plenty of advantages for old players, such as the ability to transfer gear upgrades to new gear(so your +15 raid gear enhancement can be transferred to new higher cap gear to get +15 directly once you have enough mats, this already exists in LA but only within the same tier I believe) and the ability to convert old epic gear into a new epic gear set that's not the best but still stronger. The old raid gear is still the best until the new raid gear too, so having raided the previous tier allows people to farm the new content faster and easier but the difference between them and a new player using the new gear(after they took the time to farm it, it takes usually months) is small.

The gear resets allow them to remove older systems they feel don't work well anymore, and facilitate the catchup mechanics for new players by just having a standard leveling progression instead of a convoluted "you progress through raid tiers as they were released".

We'll see how Lost Ark does it however, they might do it differently and never actually reset but instead keep adding catch up mechanics, which would work too.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I used to really hate the idea of "catchup" mechanics or invalidating "old" content. But, the more I thought about it, the more I understand how healthy it is, overall, for the growth of the game.

EQ has basically stagnated on the "growth" side of the game. They're not really seeing ANY new players. Essentially, they're making money off the existing players, over and over. Now, while there aren't too many people that want to play a 22 year old game and EQ horribly mismanaged a lot of things along the way, EQ had a MASSIVE barrier to entry for years (still does). Who the hell wants to try/start an MMO that requires farming thousands of AA, spells, etc. just to get to a "baseline" level? Well, as their lack of growth shows, not many.

I think it's important for games to occasionally do "resets", "stat squishing", ability revamps (hi2u EQ2), etc. Otherwise, people look at what it takes just to "start" your game, realize they'd have to invest X hundreds or even THOUSANDS of hours, and nope the fuck out from even trying it out/going back. It's really what contributed so much to the long-term "success" of a game like WoW. It maintained and GREW its playerbase for over a decade, because Blizzard wasn't afraid to "reset" shit.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I went platinum if for no other reason than the value of the skin (if we mirror KR) down the line. Just trying to determine which one to grab for the value