Lost in Space

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I just finished this, it was ok but nothing special.

I wasn’t looking forward a season 2, except that the final scene set it up nicely enough for me to give season 2 a chance.

I thought the characters were interesting for the most part, it’s just the story that was pretty weak.

Sterling

El Presidente
Halfway through and it's a slog. I'll probably get around to watching the rest of it at some point but it's just so mediocre and not terribly engaging. I really wish they'd decide if they want it to be grim or campy.

Caliane

on ep5 now.

in regards to the guns. I just have no idea. went out to eat with my brother and his wife, they binged watched it, and brought up the gun issue and grim vs campy issue himself without any prompting.

Mom is anti-gun for dumb reasons. Other Jupiter landers are intact and have replicators. none of THEM build a gun for some fucking reason, up to this point. Which, again, guns in space, ok. bad idea. Guns on alien planet? yes. fucking yes..

Lost in space is a "swiss family Robinson" remake in space. not a secret.
THIS version of it, takes that and... ""The iron giant". The robot in this is the iron giant. which itself has something to say about guns.

so here we are in episode 5, when two alien monsters come to camp. And Will needs to tell the Iron giant, that no, Iron giant, are not superman, you are in fact a gun, so shoot those alien monsters in the head with your laser cannons.
I have no idea what this shows stance on guns are. I don't think they do either. I have to think, any anti-gun messaging, etc, is not actually intentional. they just needed a plot excuse for guns to not solve a shit load of problems.

Last edited:

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Finished the season. The story got increasingly interesting in the last 2-3 episodes and in the end it was moderately interesting how they set up the next season for truly lost in space.

I enjoyed the show but this was my biggest problem. This whole season should have been 1-2 episodes then they should have just jumped into the actual 'lost in space' part. I'm sitting here every episode thinking, wtf are all these people doing here if this is lost in space???

Cybsled

Mom is anti-gun for dumb reasons. Other Jupiter landers are intact and have replicators. none of THEM build a gun for some fucking reason, up to this point. Which, again, guns in space, ok. bad idea. Guns on alien planet? yes. fucking yes..

The show established why they couldn't build a gun normally with the printers. The expedition/colony government put restrictions on what was allowed to be printed with them. They demonstrated this with the father tried to use his own personal schematic to have the printer make a gun and it rejected the schematic because it didn't have approval from the people in charge. The robot was able to make the gun because presumably leet alien hax0r tech > human computer restrictions.

Unless that Victor guy had the clearance, then they were fucked. The ship in orbit couldn't communicate with them properly, so if one of them had authorization, they couldn't relay it to the people on the ground. And if it rested with the people at the colony in Alpha Centauri, then they really couldn't do anything about it since they aren't even in the Milky Way. Short of someone being an ultra hacker and being able to bypass the restrictions, they didn't have much choice in the matter.

As for why are there restrictions? Who knows, the show doesn't get into it (like has been pointed out, it creates more danger for the colonists and thus more drama), but my pet theory is given the super conspiratorial element hinted at the end, why would you want your civilian population to have weapons? My theory

Ok so they hint that the meteor was actually an alien spacecraft. Those in power now suddenly have a means to create a from-scratch government away from the dying Earth. They pick the best and brightest only, everyone else gets fucked, and they don't reveal the true reasons behind their engine tech and why the Earth is dying. You basically get to control what will soon be the only viable human civilization in the galaxy, with the best Earth can offer, and it is all under your control. What reasons would you have to arm your civilian population? Especially if it comes to light that those in power have essentially caused an intergalactic war. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the aliens were chill, corrupt elements in government then went "holy shit, tech boost! let's slag these aliens and take their shit", then this caused the aliens to be KOS to humans as a result

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Only watched the first.episode and it was fucking terrible. Hoping it gets better.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Most of the show was just kind of a "so-so". Few tear jerkers here and there. The last few episodes really started to ramp up and be interesting. I wished that the rest of the season was similar to that. I strangely enough think that season 2 will be better than season 1, which is odd. Just feels like they were just putting their feet in the water with season 1 before they drop any real cash on it.

The political vibes for the guns and violence were bleeding through loud and clear though. But yet, you can also make the comparison to the...

Black chick that shot the robot. Could just be my racist ass showing, but I picked up some strange Black Lives Matter vibe. As if the robot was somehow Mr white man and her actions against the robot were excusable.

I think the show is very watchable.. just wish the agenda's werent so easy to see.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
You guys have made more about the no guns thing than the show did.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Ladro

Anomaly
You guys have made more about the no guns thing than the show did.

Yeah, it seems kind of silly. From a space travel thing, it makes sense to not allow them at all. Not allowing them after crashing on an alien planet seems a bit fucking stupid though. There would have to be some sort of emergency override protocol that would allow it.

• 1Like

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
On episode 4 now. Really enjoying the series. Not super familiar with the original; only caught a few episodes here and there.

Rime

<Donor>
Yeah, it seems kind of silly. From a space travel thing, it makes sense to not allow them at all. Not allowing them after crashing on an alien planet seems a bit fucking stupid though. There would have to be some sort of emergency override protocol that would allow it.

I hand-waved it away as the military leader on the ship having the ability to override it and that their lack of communication prevented it from being done. That or the Indian Colony Leader should have had the ability to do so and I would have the second giant murder lizards showed up.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I hand-waved it away as the military leader on the ship having the ability to override it and that their lack of communication prevented it from being done. That or the Indian Colony Leader should have had the ability to do so and I would have the second giant murder lizards showed up.

Same here. I just assumed, since it was never really brought up again, that they needed military authorization from the Resolute.

Ladro

Anomaly
Finished this up. Have to agree, the last couple of episodes are redeeming and worth the others. The last scene definitely sets up season 2 very nicely; I’m in and will watch the next one. The production value alone was worth watching this in 4K HDR, hopefully they have the same budget or more going forward.

Couple things...

The robot is definitely coming back, can’t have Lost in Space without it. Guessing it will be hanging on to the ship outside.

I would have spaced Parker Posey immediately after that shit with the robot. Her character annoyed the ever living fuck out of me (great acting I guess?) because it was so obvious she was full of shit. Maybe everyone had rose colored glasses because only qualified people that passsed the test could be there so how could a sociopath ever make it?

Season 2 has a core cast now, so less people cost and more effects for monsters maybe? This first season sets a lot of things up about the drive thing that took them to the robot home planet, hopefully they answer that shit.

This kind of felt like a CW show sometimes. Heavy family drama with some light sci-fi attached to it. I’d like to see them do more classic different planet every couple episodes type of thing. Especially now that they seem to be able to fold space. Bet the robot helps them navigate and ends up being able to communicate better.

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I finished this off the other night. Really didn't care for it. The entire season is an origins story and the only way I could make it through it was to completely fast forward through every scene with "Dr Smith"
Maybe now that they're done with that they can make an actual Lost in Space series.

Maul

Dental Dammer
Halfway through and Parker Posey's character is getting tedious.
Worst part of the show for me, awful character and acting. What a terrible cast choice.

Even the kid's have their moments, Smith is just awful in every way.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
on ep5 now.

in regards to the guns. I just have no idea. went out to eat with my brother and his wife, they binged watched it, and brought up the gun issue and grim vs campy issue himself without any prompting.

Lost in space is a "swiss family Robinson" remake in space. not a secret.
THIS version of it, takes that and... ""The iron giant". The robot in this is the iron giant. which itself has something to say about guns.

so here we are in episode 5, when two alien monsters come to camp. And Will needs to tell the Iron giant, that no, Iron giant, are not superman, you are in fact a gun, so shoot those alien monsters in the head with your laser cannons.
I have no idea what this shows stance on guns are. I don't think they do either. I have to think, any anti-gun messaging, etc, is not actually intentional. they just needed a plot excuse for guns to not solve a shit load of problems.

I can sort of understand it given the shithole that apparently the earth turned into and a number of wide ranging conflits. I can sort of see somebody adverse to having weapons but what is fine for a known colony world that is already settled should not be applied to unknown environment you crashed into. Even if you dislike weaponry they should have still made some for dealing with large predators if nothing else.

Caliane

season2

I don't think the Resolute is out of the picture entirely. We may spend all of s2 without them. maybe some "meanwhiles", or the like. or, they show up halfway through. Remember the Resolute and that previous planet was itself, worse then star trek voyager levels of fucked, "in an entirely different galaxy" Voyager was STILL in the milky way. The planet and Resolute are in an unidentified galaxy. It also had no way of getting back to Earth or the colony in alpha Centuri. No means of repairs. limited population, etc. The wormhole that sent them to that planet, was from the Alien ship, not the Resolute. They will all die within 10 years lost in space, if that is the last we see of them. So, I don't think it will be.