Lost in Space

Caliane

The original was out there too so the realism isn't really a valid excuse. I'd say watch it to the end, but I'd suspect now that things have been set on the right course by the end of episode 10 that season 2 if there will be one, will be better.
thats kindof the problem though. The show does it to itself, with "totes real, dramatic/gritty reboot". this heavy emotional drama, life or death stakes.. with some nonsensical realism. The original was pure camp, totally cartoonish. Like a Farscape.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
The more I watch this, the more the anti gun shit pisses me off. Every real life expedition to everywhere: lets bring some guns just in case. There are parts of most modern American cities where youd be an idiot to travel without a gun.

But these fuckers traveling to a new planet? "Oh my guns are bad. No guns". Its such blatant political bullshit. Its like having a ban on fire or water purification in your wilderness camping trip.

Otherwise this continues to be mostly dumb fun.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Part of the charm of the original was that there was no way anyone would tolerate Dr. Smith and his evil plots never mind leave their kid with him...yet every week that is precisely what they did..

All the flashbacks to Earth and the X-mas star situation that brought them here is rather interesting but ultimately not immediately relevant to their current situation. Also kudos to Nabisco for managing to get product placement in a sci-fi show about being lost in another galaxy.

tera

Lord Nagafen Raider
The more I watch this, the more the anti gun shit pisses me off. Every real life expedition to everywhere: lets bring some guns just in case. There are parts of most modern American cities where youd be an idiot to travel without a gun.

But these fuckers traveling to a new planet? "Oh my guns are bad. No guns". Its such blatant political bullshit. Its like having a ban on fire or water purification in your wilderness camping trip.

The Robinsons were on the 24th(?) group to go to the new planet. Don (the mechanic guy) had gone and come back a number of times. It's reasonable to assume that there was a security force already in place. The main threat would have been from wild life as all the colonest were hand picked, so probably no threat from them.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Theyre not on Alpha Centauri. Theyre on an unknown planet being attacked by random dinosaurs and eels and shit. They have the capacity to 3d print a gun but have specifically blocked this ability and even crash landed on this planet, the mom still whines about how guns make her feel unsafe.

I totally get prohibiting guns e.g. while in space. There is no justification on the blanket ban they have in place.

Cybsled

I thought Mrs Robinson looked familiar. She played the widow that inherited the mine on Deadwood.

Why do you assume it is anti-gun? Honestly I thought the show was fairly neutral on the matter. The mother said she didn't want a gun in the home, the father wanted one to protect the family. That seems fairly normal to me, they never outright stated one was more right than the other. The show actually made multiple cases as to why guns would have been helpful (like when those monsters attacked the light). Hell, the only reason they lived is because of plasma weapons used by the robot. Besides, in the context of the possible conspiracy going on the show hints at, you could just as easily argue that restrictions were put in place by the government to restrict the civilian population's access to 3d printed weapons. The 3D printer could clearly print a gun, the government had just put restrictions in place to prevent people from using it for that purpose (basically you could only print pre-approved items unless you had specific clearance). As was pointed out, their destination was an established colony, not a random alien world. Presumably, only certain people could have given the proper permissions.

Plus, the gun only created a problem because of the fact a young kid got it and basically stuffed it under their bed, where a bad person stole it and gave it to an emotionally disturbed individual.

Just seems to me you were hunting for political slants in the show and "found them" lol

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
/shrug after countless situations where a gun would have been really friggin handy you point out that once a gun appears on the show, it causes nothing but problems. And you think I'm seeing a political message where non exists?

I think Punisher is a show that handled guns in an even handed manner, showing non-retarded reasons why a person might fall on one side or the other of this debate. On this show, every time someone goes anti gun I just think "wow this character is an idiot". The mom with her "they make me feel unsafe" shit, its like the central belief of the anti-gun movement.

I dunno. I'm not even a 2nd amendment zealot, but I thought this was pretty blatantly in your face anti gun sentiment on LIS. Am I the only one who thought this?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Binged 4 episodes last night with the wife. I think it's entertaining and look forward to the rest of it. The storyline around the robot is the most intriguing part and I hope they flesh that out.

But, yeah, the "doctor" should have been killed in episode 1.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Far cry better than the original with a nice modern flare on things. Yes there were many questionable sci-fi bits but overall it was entertaining.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I do like that "Dr Smith" is a true sociopath. Very much a student of how people interact mostly because she seems incapable of such feelings herself.

The robot's story and the whole nature of the Xmas Star and how Earth stole the technology for the ship in the first place is the main draw. It's clear that there is soke bad juju going down and the Robinson's are not entirely blamelss due to Maureen's actions.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
First thing that seems annoyingly unscientific to me..

The black hole. It would destroy the star much sooner than its effect on the planet would be noticeable. Plus it would take thousands/millions of years and wouldn't be some stupid "lol one more orbit and we're fucked" situation.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
First thing that seems annoyingly unscientific to me..

The black hole. It would destroy the star much sooner than its effect on the planet would be noticeable. Plus it would take thousands/millions of years and wouldn't be some stupid "lol one more orbit and we're fucked" situation.

They explained that the planet is on some really long fucked up orbit because of the black hole. As it gets closer to the black hole the planets gravity gets fucked and the planet gets super hot cuz it is pulled closer to the sun. The planet itself will survive and life will start all over on the planet when it gets back into a safe zone again. The Japanese guy even explained that the world was on some accelerated growth pattern.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Meh Capt Flynt is a fucking 1 trick pony even playing a father all he does pirate scowl face.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Show is terrible.

Only good part about it is the Geth bot.

I knew this was going to be awful once the mechanic guy on the downed ship was with Dr.Smith and he said "one thing I know about these ships, when you break them, they are full of oil!" as he is holding an insulated band of electrical wires.....

That wd-40 squirted out of that wire like a whore in heat and he was able to undo his space seatbelt and save the day. LOL.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Part of the charm of the original was that there was no way anyone would tolerate Dr. Smith and his evil plots never mind leave their kid with him...yet every week that is precisely what they did..

I think they really missed an opportunity by not taking more from the original and trying to play the 'let's take this seriously' game while also being fairly slapstick when it comes to science stuff. Really would have loved a throwback to the almost zero story arch episodes independent of each other with their own little hour long adventures.

That said I am enjoying the show as a watch one episode before bed type of deal.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I couldn't finish episode 3. Will try again later but so far this is garbage.

Almost couldn't make it through the first episode. Fucking bunch of pansies in that ship spent the whole hour crying. Bleh.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the first couple were very difficult to get through. Not enough seemed to click for me, tone, acting, characters. It does somewhat get better but never really takes off and becomes anything great. At least by the end I didn’t wish every character dead. And Molly Parker is smoking hot. Parker Posey was a great psychopath, but as has been mentioned she kind of hit it a little too on the nose. No way anyone trusts that crazy bitch for more than 15 seconds.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Finished the season. The story got increasingly interesting in the last 2-3 episodes and in the end it was moderately interesting how they set up the next season for truly lost in space.

Overall, it was dumb fun. Every episode was had plenty of cringe inducing moments. So much of it was so obviously dumb I really think they must be going for the kind of thing described above. I had forgotten about those wires leaking oil, that was funny. Every episode was full of those. I think my favorite idiotic moment had to be
when Ben gets some shit in his eye and they spend what seemed like 10 min of show time trying to get him to cry by talking about sad stuff. I'm sitting there going ya know what makes my eyes tear up? GETTING SOMETHING IN MY FUCKING EYE.
(it feels really dumb using spoiler tags for this show because its not like there are any serious pieces of information to spoil.)

And for the record, I liked the way they handled the unexpectedly black member of the family. It wast about her race, the discussions about it actually built both her and her dads characters, and the writers didnt ask us to not notice that she was black. I actually think that part was entirely positive and even a rare moment of emotion from the dad when we was so proud about how much she was like him even though she wasnt his biological daughter.

I could criticize a lot of things, and it deserves it. But
1. Every single member of the family ended up being at least a little bit likable and in some cases even interesting.
2. It was dumb fun but remained fun.

I'll get crucified for this but theres this other smart sci fi show on the air -- the expanse -- that is not dumb at all but I wish it was even a tenth as strong in these two respects, as the so dumb it must be deliberate Lost in Space.

I look forward to another season.