Lovecraft Country

ShakyJake

<Donor>
It doesn't get mentioned enough, but Good Times was amazing because it for the 1st time captured life for poor urban blacks and showed everyone an albeit sanitized version of inner city life.
Speaking of Good Times, we also had Sanford and Son and The Jeffersons -- fantastic series with all-black casts they I still enjoy today.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So you're saying someone cannot have an opinion if they are a huge HP Lovecraft fan but also think that this is a stupid concept?

Acknowledgement of racism? They literally talk about saying which is worse, white people in the 50's or cosmic horror monsters. I'm not saying that it won't be good, but that sounds like a fucking retarded and actually racist premise.
I don't know if you actually read the book, but the concept works. I don't know much about the show other than it existing. Yeah, the author pretty clearly wrote this book in direct response to Lovecraft's well known, quite extreme racism. But it doesn't abandon the Lovecraft in the Lovecraft book, it embraces it, imo a really good read and the racial stuff isolating the family in their struggle with the order, to me it works.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I don't know if you actually read the book, but the concept works. I don't know much about the show other than it existing. Yeah, the author pretty clearly wrote this book in direct response to Lovecraft's well known, quite extreme racism. But it doesn't abandon the Lovecraft in the Lovecraft book, it embraces it, imo a really good read and the racial stuff isolating the family in their struggle with the order, to me it works.

I have too many books on my plate to dig into this one, but I generally like Peele's stuff (I thought US was great). I will give it a watch but I am skeptical because when he does racism he makes it almost comical. One of the reason I liked US so much is because there wasn't really any racism played up in it.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So you're saying someone cannot have an opinion if they are a huge HP Lovecraft fan but also think that this is a stupid concept?
Sure you can, if this was a Lovecraft book they adapted, it was not. I'm also not watching this because I want my media just what it should be at face value but it's not this virtue signaling nonsense that some of these whites only people are doing. When it's done and I can download the whole thing and I hear that it's not bad maybe I will change my mind. These people I am responding to will never watch it because their virtue would be tainted if they did.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Sure you can, if this was a Lovecraft book they adapted, it was not.
It isn't a "Lovecraft book" but it's a "Lovecraft Mythos" book. A lot of people have problems with that, as a concept. And even on the Lovecraft reddit, this book was divisive, but I think needlessly so. It's a good book and it's accurate for the time period. Like, people bitch and moan about diversity for diversity's sake, and while I may not get the passion I agree with the basic idea that is the wrong kind of diversity and everyone sees through it and it doesn't actually add anything to the story. A better kind of diversity is rather than just doing the same stories (but with black actors!), maybe tell new stories that wouldn't work otherwise, or just didn't get the opportunity before. Sure the fuck beats just having a new slave movie every few years and calling that "diversity".

fwiw, some of the best sci-fi and fantasy I've read, ever, has been in the past few years from "diverse" authors telling stories that are rooted in cultures I didn't know anything about (Dreamblood duology from Jemison) or exploring concepts like AI pushed to the furthest extreme (Imperial Radch trilogy by Leckie). That's some good diversity.

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
There's ongoing anti-white pogroms, like this half-russian Smollet family tried to incite in 2019 for a now 2020 executive nominee, to promote anti-white legislation.

Keep that in mind while reading self-destructive fetishism in threads like this.

• 5Like
  • 3Picard
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 8 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So, was it any good? Saw Jordan Peele on this project and was instantly going to think this was a sit storm of what he did with Twilight Zone on CBS Access.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
So, was it any good? Saw Jordan Peele on this project and was instantly going to think this was a sit storm of what he did with Twilight Zone on CBS Access.
It is not cosmic horror but there are a lot of lovecraft creatures and things in it. I enjoyed it other than the stupid lynching attempt in broad daylight.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I mean... that's probably when a lot of lynching happened? idk, not like subterfuge matters when you are the police.

I liked it. I didn't like the shoggoth monsters or whatever, kind of cheeseball, that's certainly one direction to go with Lovecraftian stuff I guess, I generally prefer a more subtle approach. I do get the homage they were going for, loved Evil Dead, but I was hoping more gothic horror less wacky gore. Juicy Smolliet's sister has a fat ass. I like the addition of the music stuff, for now anyway, could be cheesy or could be cool. Evil Dead cabin was lol. Interesting enough to continue watching, if it sticks to the stories in the book it will be cool.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
There's ongoing anti-white pogroms, like this half-russian Smollet family tried to incite in 2019 for a now 2020 executive nominee, to promote anti-white legislation.

Keep that in mind while reading self-destructive fetishism in threads like this.
Funny I don't recall any large scale massacre of white people going on in the US. I am pretty sure we would have noticed a pogrom vs white people. If you just mean changing some laws so things are less blatently favoring white people or disfavoring non whites that's not a pogrom.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I liked it the first few minute dream scene is fucking weird as hell. Overall though it gets to weird creatures in the first episode which is faster than I thought.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I mean... that's probably when a lot of lynching happened? idk, not like subterfuge matters when you are the police.

I liked it. I didn't like the shoggoth monsters or whatever, kind of cheeseball, that's certainly one direction to go with Lovecraftian stuff I guess, I generally prefer a more subtle approach. I do get the homage they were going for, loved Evil Dead, but I was hoping more gothic horror less wacky gore. Juicy Smolliet's sister has a fat ass. I like the addition of the music stuff, for now anyway, could be cheesy or could be cool. Evil Dead cabin was lol. Interesting enough to continue watching, if it sticks to the stories in the book it will be cool.
It kinda is when a lot of lynchings happened.. The people doing the lynching were often important people in towns and or law enforcement themselves so they felt no real need/reason to hide what they were doing. Just whip up a mob and sic them on the target.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Watched it last night, thought it was pretty good. I like the central characters and it created enough of a desire to see the next episode so it did a good job.

The only scene I didn't like was when they were in the street singing and that was only because I thought they sounded bad. I don't remember that from the book either but I read it a while back now.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Early on reviews of Watchmen gave it a wokefest, not worth watching vibe. I gave it a shot and ignored the SJW shit because it was actually part of the underlying story and enjoyed it mostly. I will do the same with this. if its shit, ill stop watching.

At the risk of inciting a riot here, keep in mind the concept of pendulum swings. For a very long time, TV and movies were basically white folk. The movement in the 70's starting chipping away at those barriers (Sanford and Son, All in the Family, Jeffersons, Good Times etc). So we are where we are today because that pendulum has swing from all the way on one side of the arc and we are now approaching the other end of the arc (all woke, all the time). Viewers and society will begin more and more to react negatively and the pendulum will begin its slow steady movement back toward the center before continuing on back in the original direction. Like it or dislike it, this is just how life works.

By refusing to consume it, and provide financial incentive, you expedite the swinging.

Personally, me?

I'm out of all this bullshit.

I'll revert back to shit like Gunsmoke if I have to, not going to give this garbage the views or revenue

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
By refusing to consume it, and provide financial incentive, you expedite the swinging.

Personally, me?

I'm out of all this bullshit.

I'll revert back to shit like Gunsmoke if I have to, not going to give this garbage the views or revenue
We all draw our own lines in the sand. For instance I will now not spend $1200 on a new set of Goodyear mud tires for my wife's jeep. But watching something that might entertain me on a streaming service? I'm down with that. I think ESPN is garbage and wont watch it. But I dont take it so far to say "but they are owned by Disney so no ABC/Hulu/Disney+/Marvel/Theme Parks etc". And then add in the possiblity I might own that company's stock and it gets really convoluted. For example I despise AAPL products and wont own them, but be damned sure I own AAPL stock. Life as a 3d human can be complex sometimes.

• 4Like
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
We all draw our own lines in the sand. For instance I will now not spend $1200 on a new set of Goodyear mud tires for my wife's jeep.
?

MT/Rs are dope! You dishing out for Cepeks?

Show was decent. Its got Lovecraft wrong right off the bat with the "oogie boogie" monsters but maybe there is more to it than bloodthirsty MonStars.

As for the historical bit...yeah you're going to have a TON of D Level history students that cry upriver about how offensive the whole "No Really Whites Uses To Just Murder Black People" is portrayed but what are you gonna do?

I really give shows until episode 5 and this one is going to make me suffer through 4 of Slimy Monsters...

...more "Human is the real monster" and less "look at how scary this CGI thing is".