Lovecraft Country

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
?

MT/Rs are dope! You dishing out for Cepeks?

Show was decent. Its got Lovecraft wrong right off the bat with the "oogie boogie" monsters but maybe there is more to it than bloodthirsty MonStars.

As for the historical bit...yeah you're going to have a TON of D Level history students that cry upriver about how offensive the whole "No Really Whites Uses To Just Murder Black People" is portrayed but what are you gonna do?

I really give shows until episode 5 and this one is going to make me suffer through 4 of Slimy Monsters...

...more "Human is the real monster" and less "look at how scary this CGI thing is".

I agree with all of this except the very end. Chuthulu mythology was never about 'humans are the real monsters;' it was always 'humans are the real monsters when they are secretly cosmic monsters.' That is actually the main thing that disappoints me aboutthe premise of this show. Focusing on the humans as maybe as bad as an uncaring, infinite world devouring monster seems like a stretch; but I guess 1950s whites needed a role model.

Maybe I missed your comment and you agree.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
?

Show was decent. Its got Lovecraft wrong right off the bat with the "oogie boogie" monsters but maybe there is more to it than bloodthirsty MonStars.

As for the historical bit...yeah you're going to have a TON of D Level history students that cry upriver about how offensive the whole "No Really Whites Uses To Just Murder Black People" is portrayed but what are you gonna do?

I really give shows until episode 5 and this one is going to make me suffer through 4 of Slimy Monsters...

...more "Human is the real monster" and less "look at how scary this CGI thing is".
Looking at Goodrich mud-terrains or Yokohama mud-terrains.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
We all draw our own lines in the sand. For instance I will now not spend $1200 on a new set of Goodyear mud tires for my wife's jeep. But watching something that might entertain me on a streaming service? I'm down with that. I think ESPN is garbage and wont watch it. But I dont take it so far to say "but they are owned by Disney so no ABC/Hulu/Disney+/Marvel/Theme Parks etc". And then add in the possiblity I might own that company's stock and it gets really convoluted. For example I despise AAPL products and wont own them, but be damned sure I own AAPL stock. Life as a 3d human can be complex sometimes.
It's not complicated. Just don't be a smooth brained idiot.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
?

I made a comment on reddit about how rediculous the day murder attempts were and a bunch of NPCs just parroted about how racist things were then.

My only other complaint is cosmic horror is largely about the fear of the unknown and they have have monsters showing up all over the place. Doesn't build tension.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Not watching a show that you would enjoy over politics is dumb. If you're that passionate about it, organize a boycott or something, but just you not watching it only hurts you because the people making the show aren't even going to notice.

• 1Picard

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
?

That scene plays out much better in the book, they never see the thing in the woods, there's no Evil Dead cabin or transforming humans into shoggoths, just the sherrif leading them out into the woods and a darkness at the edge of their sight, until people start vanishing/dying.

Shame how terrible most of hollywood is at horror.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Not watching a show that you would enjoy over politics is dumb. If you're that passionate about it, organize a boycott or something, but just you not watching it only hurts you because the people making the show aren't even going to notice.
Stupidest thing I've read today. Follows the same logic as "there's no point in voting since elections are never decided by a single vote." A single individual deciding not to watch a show because of woke politics may not have a noticeable impact, but on a macro level, there's thousands of people who share that sentiment which absolutely has an impact on the show's production.

Beyond that, forking over money to Hollywood so they can lecture you on social issues from their ivory towers completely disconnected from the real world is one of the most pathetic and cucked things I can think of. Making excuses like "oh I'm just one person, it's not going to make a diffence" is a less accurate way of saying to yourself, "I'm a spineless shrew who amounts to nothing in the grand scheme of things. I'm not strong enough to defend my convictions and values and my life is so devoid of meaning that I have no problem investing my time and money in something that insults the closely held beliefs that define who I am as a person."

• 6Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Stupidest thing I've read today. Follows the same logic as "there's no point in voting since elections are never decided by a single vote." A single individual deciding not to watch a show because of woke politics may not have a noticeable impact, but on a macro level, there's thousands of people who share that sentiment which absolutely has an impact on the show's production.

Voting is a waste of time. "On a macro level" is nonsense because if thousands of people do the same thing as me, they would have done that anyway. I always vote but it's just because I like to. From the standpoint of an individual, voting is absolutely a waste of time and you should find something better to do with your time. If thousands of people are going to stop watching the show, me doing it too still doesn't make any difference. If all the people like me are not voting, then me going to vote doesn't change anything. There's no rational reason for voting, especially in a national election. BTW I'm not going to watch this show because I'm not interested in it, but if you think you're influencing anything by not watching it on principle, you're delusional. I'm not even going to address the "cuck" thing except to say that you must be pretty insecure if you think that watching a TV show that isn't aligned with your political beliefs somehow makes you less of a man.

• 2Pathetic
Reactions: 1 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Voting is a waste of time. "On a macro level" is nonsense because if thousands of people do the same thing as me, they would have done that anyway. I always vote but it's just because I like to. From the standpoint of an individual, voting is absolutely a waste of time and you should find something better to do with your time. If thousands of people are going to stop watching the show, me doing it too still doesn't make any difference. If all the people like me are not voting, then me going to vote doesn't change anything. There's no rational reason for voting, especially in a national election. BTW I'm not going to watch this show because I'm not interested in it, but if you think you're influencing anything by not watching it on principle, you're delusional. I'm not even going to address the "cuck" thing except to say that you must be pretty insecure if you think that watching a TV show that isn't aligned with your political beliefs somehow makes you less of a man.

Why do you like to vote?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Why do you like to vote?

I don't know why exactly. It feels like I'm participating in something even though rationally I know it's not going to affect anything. If nothing else it's an excuse to take a half hour off and shoot the breeze with my neighbors that are working the polls.

• 1Pathetic

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

Look at the guy who has lived in a representational democratic republic his whole life tell you voting does not matter. 4/5ths of the world would shank you for the chance to choose their ruling class. As for 'voting' with your time/money not meaning anything.... ask Marvel or DC's comic division or Giliette if it means anything.

• 1Solidarity

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
I don't know why exactly. It feels like I'm participating in something even though rationally I know it's not going to affect anything. If nothing else it's an excuse to take a half hour off and shoot the breeze with my neighbors that are working the polls.

Civic pride? Contributing to your community? Do you feel it makes you a better person and citizen? Still think voting is a waste of time?

I'm not bashing you. I think a lot of people don't reflect on how our actions shape and reinforce who we are or want to be. You are socialized to have this response, sure. I don't think it is necessarily a bad form of socialization though.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Look at the guy who has lived in a representational democratic republic his whole life tell you voting does not matter. 4/5ths of the world would shank you for the chance to choose their ruling class. As for 'voting' with your time/money not meaning anything.... ask Marvel or DC's comic division or Giliette if it means anything.

Voting matters. My vote doesn't. I freely admit that if everyone stopped voting, that would be a disaster. But me voting or not voting has zero effect on that. It's an odd thing to wrap your head around, because voting is important, just not a single person voting.

• 2Picard
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 2 users

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Voting is a waste of time.

this was disproved when parties were forced to re align to voters multiple times

also local elections matter far more to you personally than national and i've seen those races won/lost by a single vote

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
local elections matter far more to you personally than national and i've seen those races won/lost by a single vote

When? Not saying it couldn't happen but it's extremely unlikely even with just a few hundred people voting.

• 1Picard

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Sure, out of several thousand elections. It does mean more to vote in local elections than national ones, but it's still extremely rare that it would actually make a difference.

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Picard

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Can you guys take your voting conversation to the Private Snowflake Zone? Thanks.

• 6Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
If my tolerance for race baiting dogshit is at an all time low, which it is, is this show watchable? I think I'm cancelling HBO if it's not.

I don't know who took over and decided to turn this service into a BET+LGBQTV Frankenstein's monster, but why would I pay for this? Why would anyone? Let's see what should I watch, the teenage tranny drama? The Megan Rapinoe political lecture, or the racebaiting whinefest docuseries with Al Sharpton?

This channel is fucking garbage now. Dear black people, feel free to develop an identity beyond just your skin color at ANY TIME.

• 5Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
That scene plays out much better in the book, they never see the thing in the woods, there's no Evil Dead cabin or transforming humans into shoggoths, just the sherrif leading them out into the woods and a darkness at the edge of their sight, until people start vanishing/dying.

Shame how terrible most of hollywood is at horror.
I'm debating reading the book before I watch another episode. Other option is watch as long as can stand it and read it later. Not sure which would be better.

And 100% agree about most of Hollywood and horror. The best horror has typically come from indie/outsiders or those that DEDICATED their lives to it. Good horror, like good comedy is really hard to pull off unless you put in the work with the tropes(and which to ignore) and when to go full ham and melt faces.

The goofy monsters in this just feel so...George Lucasy.

• 2Like